My two cents on digital vs film

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by kodakfilm@gmail.com, Dec 12, 2004.

  1. Guest

    First of all while an engineer can probably more succinctly state
    "facts" another fact is that viewing pictures is subjective - period. I
    have a CoolScan ED-8000 [Nikon] which is superb. It scans film at 8000
    dpi, and if you want, can use the ICE mode to "fix" the scanned images
    to eliminate dust, scratches, etc. I have several thousand scanned
    images from 35mm and 120 size film. The 35mm dates back to shots taken
    in 1959 with my original Nikon "F".

    I recently bought a Nikon D70 because it was priced reasonably, had
    good reviews, and most importantly, used my older Nikon lenses. I did a
    comparison [subjective!!] the other day of shots I made of the same
    subject. One was with the D70 using the NEF mode, and the other with an
    N70 using the same lens and Kodak ISO 100 negative film. My opinion?
    The "grain free" and easily modified image of the D70 is just as good,
    maybe slightly better, for up to an 8 X 12 print, when compared to the
    ISO 100 Kodak negative film.

    I have heard, and seen the results, that cutting the dpi from 300 to
    say 200, when you print it will allow an even larger print with no
    great degradation of print quality. One mustn't forget that most images
    today are seen in lower quality email attachments, and, all to seldom
    in the full screen, highest definition mode of a good PC monitor.

    I am sure things will only get better in the future. As for me, except
    for the rarest instances when I need my 20mm lens to be 20mm - not
    30mm, I'll never use film again. I'm certainly not willing, or even
    inclined, to buy a new 16 megapixel plus Canon for $8000!!

    Finally, digital provides me with almost instant results and, I have
    very recently taken to using the Nikon D70 "dual" mode where both a
    NEF and lower quality jpeg image are made simultaneously. The jpeg
    image is OK for most email purposes and more than OK for deciding if
    you want to bother manipulating the NEF image for its full value. Now
    let's throw in film cost, processing time, gas money to go to Costco,
    the extra cost of a Costco CD so I can decide which images I want to
    scan with the ED-8000 and, well, you get the picture.

    At some point even reality sets in for a stubborn old cuss like me. I
    had been led to believe by experts that digital was a convenient, but
    poor cousin, of film at the equivalent ISO. The greatest day in my 45
    years of taking pictures with a Nikon was when the Nikon D70 arrived.
    Tom Roach

    P.S. You can see that I need to change my email address <g>

    , Dec 12, 2004

  2. dander Guest

    The only drawback to dslr's for tech savvy people is the crop factor, and of
    course, money and time.

    In the end, the ability to pick the ISO by photo instead of by roll makes it an
    easy choice.

    dander, Dec 12, 2004

  3. <> wrote in message
    > First of all while an engineer can probably more succinctly state
    > "facts" another fact is that viewing pictures is subjective - period. I
    > have a CoolScan ED-8000 [Nikon] which is superb. It scans film at 8000
    > dpi, and if you want, can use the ICE mode to "fix" the scanned images
    > to eliminate dust, scratches, etc. I have several thousand scanned
    > images from 35mm and 120 size film. The 35mm dates back to shots taken
    > in 1959 with my original Nikon "F".

    If I'm not mistaken, that should read "4000", not "8000".

    Glenn Thureson, Dec 12, 2004
  4. Mike Henley Guest

    It all comes down to economics.
    If economics were not a factor, it would matter less.

    Mike Henley, Dec 13, 2004
  5. Mike Henley wrote:

    > It all comes down to economics.
    > If economics were not a factor, it would matter less.

    While that's true for you, it may well not be a factor for others.
    Convenience is one. Certain freedoms are another. Leading edge is still
    another.

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Dec 13, 2004
  6. In article <>,
    Mike Henley <> wrote:

    > It all comes down to economics.
    > If economics were not a factor, it would matter less.

    Yes.
    And computer skills. After all there is a lot to learn in using a
    computer, and many people are scared silly of them. (I was once.)

    --
    - Eolake
    --

    http://MacCreator.com

    Eolake Stobblehouse, Dec 13, 2004
  7. bob Guest

    "Mike Henley" <> wrote in

    > It all comes down to economics.
    > If economics were not a factor, it would matter less.

    Not in color. Not for me at least. I'm not interested in owning a color
    darkroom even if you were going to set it up for free for me. But I can do
    color in my computer, and I like the way it turns out.

    I plan on building a B&W darkroom again (will be my 4th). Because 4x5
    cameras are really, really fun. And the prints are astounding. But that's
    just me.

    Bob

    --
    Delete the inverse SPAM to reply

    bob, Dec 14, 2004
  8. Guest

    No. You weren't mistaken, I knew it was 4000 dpi but I mistakenly typed
    8000. Another mind fart.

    , Dec 24, 2004