My system doesn't recognize CD-RW (CD-W224EA)

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Dan Lash, Nov 21, 2004.

  1. Dan Lash

    Dan Lash Guest

    I'm trying to re-install WinXP on my nephew's system. I

    re-formatted the HD, but when I boot the system up w/ a

    startup disk, it doesn't recognize the CD-RW drive,

    which is a TEAC CD-W224EA.

    BTW, when I boot up using a Maxtor startup disk (to run

    some HD utilities), the CD-RW is recognized but I cannot

    access it. This boot disk is running Caldera DR-DOS.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Dan

    Dan Lash, Nov 21, 2004

  2. Dan Lash

    Thagor Guest

    "Dan Lash" <> wrote in news:EZ-dnS_oWpNIcQLcRVn-
    :

    > I'm trying to re-install WinXP on my nephew's system. I
    >
    > re-formatted the HD, but when I boot the system up w/ a
    >
    > startup disk, it doesn't recognize the CD-RW drive,
    >
    > which is a TEAC CD-W224EA.
    >
    > BTW, when I boot up using a Maxtor startup disk (to run
    >
    > some HD utilities), the CD-RW is recognized but I cannot
    >
    > access it. This boot disk is running Caldera DR-DOS.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    > Thanks,
    > Dan

    And what happens if you boot from the XP cd?

    Thagor, Nov 21, 2004

  3. Dan Lash

    Thor Guest

    boot from the XP cd instead. Make sure the boot order in the BIOS is set for
    the CDROM first.

    Thor, Nov 21, 2004
  4. Dan Lash

    James Hanley Guest

    "Dan Lash" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > I'm trying to re-install WinXP on my nephew's system. I
    >
    > re-formatted the HD, but when I boot the system up w/ a
    >
    > startup disk, it doesn't recognize the CD-RW drive,
    >
    > which is a TEAC CD-W224EA.
    >
    > BTW, when I boot up using a Maxtor startup disk (to run
    >
    > some HD utilities), the CD-RW is recognized but I cannot
    >
    > access it. This boot disk is running Caldera DR-DOS.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    > Thanks,
    > Dan

    Maxtor startup disk? sounds bad.
    make a proper windows 98 boot disk from www.bootdisk.com
    if you really need to (you don't) - then put the maxtor HD utilities
    on there. I don't think they're necessary anyway. Maxtor is a
    horrible cheap make. You shouldn't install a maxtor HDD in anybody's
    computer. IBM are well loved. Seagate is quite liked- though they can
    run hot sometimes.

    You say that with 1 startup disk, the CD-RW is not recognised , and
    with another startup disk, it's recognised but not accessible. That
    can't be right. Whether the CDRW is recognised or not is a BIOS thing,
    you'll see straight away, it has nothing to do with the boot disk.
    Yours is recognised (since you say it was recognised with 1 of your
    startup disks) Whether it is accessible or not depends on the disk.
    The disk from www.bootdisk.com has CD drivers.

    With one of those www.bootdisk.com boot disks, you will be able to
    read from your CDRW, but not write to it.

    you can install winxp either by booting into the computer and
    running \i386\winnt.exe or by booting off the cd.

    James Hanley, Nov 22, 2004