My screwup for tonight (wireless connection and new cable internet)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by c.reifert, Nov 24, 2004.

  1. c.reifert

    c.reifert Guest

    Hi everyone,
    well, I did a stupid one tonight. A friend decided to get off dialup
    and go with cable internet. He and his wife asked for help, so over I went.

    The equipment:

    A new pc running Windows XP (Home I think)
    D-Link DCM-202 Cable Modem
    D-Link DI-524 802.11g wireless router
    Linksys Wireless-G USB Network Adaptor

    I started off hooking the cable modem directly up to the pc so I could get
    the config settings correctly set in. Internet working great.

    Hooked the wireless router directly to the pc so I could copy the mac
    address of the pc into it. Everything set up correctly. Set up the cable
    modem and wireless router next to each other across the room from the pc.
    Set up the wireless antenna software on the pc, then connected the USB
    antenna. At this point, internet working great.

    Friend's wife says "Best Buy tech told me that we needed to set up the
    security on the router so that noone outside can get into our system. He
    says to set it up WEP with at least 64 bit encryption". Me (stupidly), says
    "ok". I set up the router and antenna for WEP.

    I can still log into the router using the pc through the antenna (using IE
    and the address 192.168.0.1), but now internet no longer works.

    I change the settings on both the antenna and router back to normal. I can
    still log into the router through the pc and antenna. Internet still
    doesn't work.

    I try blowing out the settings on the router using the 'reset', then set it
    back up again. Still no internet.

    I finally just ran a 50' coax cable to the pc from across the room, then
    hooked the cable modem directly to the pc. At least for now they have
    internet.

    Can anyone give me any hints on what I might want to look at to get this
    back up and running? I'm browsing through the D-Link and Linksys websites,
    but haven't found anything helpful yet.

    Thanks,
    Will

    c.reifert, Nov 24, 2004

  2. c.reifert

    TT Guest

    c.reifert wrote:

    >" Friend's wife says "Best Buy tech told me that we needed to set up the
    > security on the router so that noone outside can get into our system. He
    > says to set it up WEP with at least 64 bit encryption". Me (stupidly), says
    > "ok". I set up the router and antenna for WEP."

    Does this PC have SP2? Are you using XP to manage the wireless
    connection or is the USB antenna software taking over? Whichever one is
    being used, does it recognize that you have set the WEP?
    TT

    TT, Nov 24, 2004

  3. c.reifert

    c.reifert Guest

    "TT" <> wrote in message
    > c.reifert wrote:
    >
    > >" Friend's wife says "Best Buy tech told me that we needed to set up the
    > > security on the router so that noone outside can get into our system.

    He
    > > says to set it up WEP with at least 64 bit encryption". Me (stupidly),

    says
    > > "ok". I set up the router and antenna for WEP."

    > Does this PC have SP2? Are you using XP to manage the wireless
    > connection or is the USB antenna software taking over? Whichever one is
    > being used, does it recognize that you have set the WEP?
    > TT

    The PC did come with SP2 on it (I had to answer a ton of questions -
    answering allow all of the time for each one - to get the dang thing to work
    in the first place). The software that came with the USB antenna is what's
    running the show on the pc. There was a message when I first installed it
    asking if I wanted XP to run it, but I chose to use the software instead.
    It did recognize the WEP (until I changed it back), and I figured I must
    have set it correctly when I could still log into the router from the pc
    over the wireless (I've been know to be wrong before, though - lol).

    I figured tonight I'd break it down into sections to see if I can get it
    fixed. Since there's a coax running across the floor to the cable modem and
    pc and the internet is working, I'd add the wireless router in between the
    modem and pc using one of the 4 wired ports and see if I can get the
    internet working. If it doesn't work, I'll reset the router again and start
    fresh. If it does work, I'll know the problem is in the wireless aspect.
    I'll blow out the software of the USB antenna and start over again there.
    That's all I can think to do for now.

    Thanks,
    Will

    c.reifert, Nov 24, 2004