MY screen image is too wide for the monitor

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Wereo_SUPREMACY, Aug 26, 2006.

  1. Thanks for your help.

    I just installed a new harddrive and a new screen, an Acer Aspire and a
    Vison 17" LCD monitor. Everything was working fine the first few tries.
    One of the problems I have now is the image is slightly too large for
    the screen. For instance I can only read the first two digits of the
    clock and I have a hard time deleting a page because the right side of
    everything seems invisible and cut off.

    I tried the menu/enter thing and it seemed to work for two tries. Now
    I've got the same problem again with everything being pushed slightly
    off to the RIGHT and me not being able to press the right buttons on
    the Vison again. Other than the screen-too-large problem the Vison
    seems to work very well and it very bright, etc.

    What do I do now?

    I have another problem with the configuration of the Acer but I'll get
    to that in another post. Thank you for telling me how to fix this
    annoying problem on the screen of the image being slightly too large.
    Scott.

    Wereo_SUPREMACY, Aug 26, 2006

  2. Wereo_SUPREMACY

    dadiOH Guest

    Wereo_SUPREMACY wrote:
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > I just installed a new harddrive and a new screen, an Acer Aspire
    > and a Vison 17" LCD monitor. Everything was working fine the first
    > few tries. One of the problems I have now is the image is slightly
    > too large for the screen. For instance I can only read the first
    > two digits of the clock and I have a hard time deleting a page
    > because the right side of everything seems invisible and cut off.
    >
    > I tried the menu/enter thing and it seemed to work for two tries.
    > Now I've got the same problem again with everything being pushed
    > slightly off to the RIGHT and me not being able to press the right
    > buttons on the Vison again. Other than the screen-too-large problem
    > the Vison seems to work very well and it very bright, etc.
    >
    > What do I do now?

    1. Push the menu button on the monitor

    2. Use the options that let you size/move the image.

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, Aug 26, 2006

  3. Wereo_SUPREMACY

    doS Guest

    change the resolution

    doS, Aug 26, 2006
  4. Wereo_SUPREMACY

    John Holmes Guest

    Wereo_SUPREMACY "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Thanks for your help.

    Anytime.

    --
    Your mother was a disdainful toilet cleaner who attracted crowds with her
    act in a morgue.

    John Holmes, Aug 26, 2006
  5. dadiOH wrote:
    > Wereo_SUPREMACY wrote:
    > > Thanks for your help.
    > >
    > > I just installed a new harddrive and a new screen, an Acer Aspire
    > > and a Vison 17" LCD monitor. Everything was working fine the first
    > > few tries. One of the problems I have now is the image is slightly
    > > too large for the screen. For instance I can only read the first
    > > two digits of the clock and I have a hard time deleting a page
    > > because the right side of everything seems invisible and cut off.
    > >
    > > I tried the menu/enter thing and it seemed to work for two tries.
    > > Now I've got the same problem again with everything being pushed
    > > slightly off to the RIGHT and me not being able to press the right
    > > buttons on the Vison again. Other than the screen-too-large problem
    > > the Vison seems to work very well and it very bright, etc.
    > >
    > > What do I do now?

    > 1. Push the menu button on the monitor
    >
    > 2. Use the options that let you size/move the image.
    >

    > --
    >
    > dadiOH
    > ____________________________
    >
    > dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    By "accident" I just got a command that said "auto config" and the
    screen moved over nicely the way it needed to do. This is what happened
    last time too! I hope it STAYS this way. Also the screen lost a bit of
    brightness at the same time but if that's the way I'm supposed to view
    the screen than who am I to argue?

    I'm scared that when I do something it's just goning to shift back to
    it's same old ill-gotten ways like last time. If it stays the way it is
    like it's supposed to then Problem #1 with new equipment is solved and
    the case will be closed. However I hope the new equipment here is smart
    like you and I. I'm running Windows XP home version if that means
    anything.

    Here, I'll offer up a New Command:

    SCREEN DON'T EXPAND!!!!! I hope that works hahahahaa :)

    Thank you for your help. I think it's gonna happen again as soon as I
    do something though. I've got another glitch to tell you about
    too....Scott

    Wereo_SUPREMACY, Aug 27, 2006
  6. Wereo_SUPREMACY

    Gil J Guest

    "Wereo_SUPREMACY" <> wrote in message

    > I just installed a new harddrive and a new screen, an Acer Aspire and a
    > Vison 17" LCD monitor. Everything was working fine the first few tries.
    > One of the problems I have now is the image is slightly too large for
    > the screen. For instance I can only read the first two digits of the
    > clock and I have a hard time deleting a page because the right side of
    > everything seems invisible and cut off.
    >
    > I tried the menu/enter thing and it seemed to work for two tries. Now
    > I've got the same problem again with everything being pushed slightly
    > off to the RIGHT and me not being able to press the right buttons on
    > the Vison again. Other than the screen-too-large problem the Vison
    > seems to work very well and it very bright, etc.
    >
    > What do I do now?

    Go to display properties-settings and try changing the resolution.
    I think that's what doS meant.

    Gil J, Aug 27, 2006
  7. Gil J wrote:
    > "Wereo_SUPREMACY" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > I just installed a new harddrive and a new screen, an Acer Aspire and a
    > > Vison 17" LCD monitor. Everything was working fine the first few tries.
    > > One of the problems I have now is the image is slightly too large for
    > > the screen. For instance I can only read the first two digits of the
    > > clock and I have a hard time deleting a page because the right side of
    > > everything seems invisible and cut off.
    > >
    > > I tried the menu/enter thing and it seemed to work for two tries. Now
    > > I've got the same problem again with everything being pushed slightly
    > > off to the RIGHT and me not being able to press the right buttons on
    > > the Vison again. Other than the screen-too-large problem the Vison
    > > seems to work very well and it very bright, etc.
    > >
    > > What do I do now?

    > Go to display properties-settings and try changing the resolution.
    > I think that's what doS meant.

    You know what the problem is now is that I've finally figured out how
    to get the screen to the correct size, but I have to "push this button"
    on the screen seemingly every time I log in. Perhaps the correct
    solution as you say is to go to display properties-settings and try
    changing the resolution. I may have to do that if this thing doesn't
    learn how to correct itself.

    Believe it or not I'm a bit more worried about doing the resolution
    thing. Scott

    Wereo_SUPREMACY, Aug 27, 2006
  8. Wereo_SUPREMACY

    dadiOH Guest

    Wereo_SUPREMACY wrote:
    > Gil J wrote:
    >> "Wereo_SUPREMACY" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I just installed a new harddrive and a new screen, an Acer Aspire
    >>> and a Vison 17" LCD monitor. Everything was working fine the
    >>> first few tries. One of the problems I have now is the image is
    >>> slightly too large for the screen. For instance I can only read
    >>> the first two digits of the clock and I have a hard time deleting
    >>> a page because the right side of everything seems invisible and
    >>> cut off.
    >>>
    >>> I tried the menu/enter thing and it seemed to work for two tries.
    >>> Now I've got the same problem again with everything being pushed
    >>> slightly off to the RIGHT and me not being able to press the
    >>> right buttons on the Vison again. Other than the screen-too-large
    >>> problem the Vison seems to work very well and it very bright, etc.
    >>>
    >>> What do I do now?

    >> Go to display properties-settings and try changing the resolution.
    >> I think that's what doS meant.

    > You know what the problem is now is that I've finally figured out
    > how to get the screen to the correct size, but I have to "push this
    > button" on the screen seemingly every time I log in. Perhaps the
    > correct solution as you say is to go to display properties-settings
    > and try changing the resolution. I may have to do that if this
    > thing doesn't learn how to correct itself.
    >
    > Believe it or not I'm a bit more worried about doing the resolution
    > thing. Scott

    Changing resolution isn't the answer to your problem. If you have a
    separate video card, go to Display Properties, Settings, Advanced and
    tweak the card's settings there.

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, Aug 27, 2006
  9. dadiOH wrote:
    > Wereo_SUPREMACY wrote:
    > > Gil J wrote:

    > >> Go to display properties-settings and try changing the resolution.
    > >> I think that's what doS meant.

    > > You know what the problem is now is that I've finally figured out
    > > how to get the screen to the correct size, but I have to "push this
    > > button" on the screen seemingly every time I log in. Perhaps the
    > > correct solution as you say is to go to display properties-settings
    > > and try changing the resolution. I may have to do that if this
    > > thing doesn't learn how to correct itself.
    > >
    > > Believe it or not I'm a bit more worried about doing the resolution
    > > thing. Scott

    > Changing resolution isn't the answer to your problem. If you have a
    > separate video card, go to Display Properties, Settings, Advanced and
    > tweak the card's settings there.
    >
    > --
    >
    > dadiOH
    > ____________________________
    >
    > dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    That sounds about right, yet I'd be tampering with things I know little
    or nothing about.

    Wereo_SUPREMACY, Aug 28, 2006
  10. Wereo_SUPREMACY

    dadiOH Guest

    Wereo_SUPREMACY wrote:
    > dadiOH wrote:

    resolution thing. Scott

    >> Changing resolution isn't the answer to your problem. If you have
    >> a separate video card, go to Display Properties, Settings,
    >> Advanced and tweak the card's settings there.

    > That sounds about right, yet I'd be tampering with things I know
    > little or nothing about.

    What's to know? All you're trying to do is enlarge/shrink/move the
    monitor image so that it fits in the allocated area...same as you
    would do from the monitor's "menu" button but which you said didn't
    stick.

    dadiOH

    dadiOH, Aug 28, 2006
  11. dadiOH wrote:
    > Wereo_SUPREMACY wrote:
    > > dadiOH wrote:

    > resolution thing. Scott
    > >>
    > >> Changing resolution isn't the answer to your problem. If you have
    > >> a separate video card, go to Display Properties, Settings,
    > >> Advanced and tweak the card's settings there.

    > > That sounds about right, yet I'd be tampering with things I know
    > > little or nothing about.

    > What's to know? All you're trying to do is enlarge/shrink/move the
    > monitor image so that it fits in the allocated area...same as you
    > would do from the monitor's "menu" button but which you said didn't
    > stick.
    >
    > dadiOH

    That sounds like the right thing to do, dadiOH. But in the meantime I'm
    here pressing the Auto/Exit button on the monitor every time I reboot.
    I wish I didn't have to do that, because what you're telling me to do
    seems like the permanent solution. Thank you for trying to help, Scott.

    Wereo_SUPREMACY, Aug 29, 2006
  12. In article <>,
    "Wereo_SUPREMACY" <> wrote:

    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > I just installed a new harddrive and a new screen, an Acer Aspire and a
    > Vison 17" LCD monitor. Everything was working fine the first few tries.
    > One of the problems I have now is the image is slightly too large for
    > the screen. For instance I can only read the first two digits of the
    > clock and I have a hard time deleting a page because the right side of
    > everything seems invisible and cut off.
    >
    > I tried the menu/enter thing and it seemed to work for two tries. Now
    > I've got the same problem again with everything being pushed slightly
    > off to the RIGHT and me not being able to press the right buttons on
    > the Vison again. Other than the screen-too-large problem the Vison
    > seems to work very well and it very bright, etc.
    >
    > What do I do now?
    >
    > I have another problem with the configuration of the Acer but I'll get
    > to that in another post. Thank you for telling me how to fix this
    > annoying problem on the screen of the image being slightly too large.
    > Scott.

    Find out what the native resolution is for your monitor - the one it is
    designed to work in. It should tell you this in the manual. This is
    the resolution that will look best for that monitor. Then change the
    refresh rate to 60hz. Since this is an LCD monitor, you won't notice
    any difference. It should sync and center up correctly now.

    David Matthew Wood, Aug 30, 2006
  13. In article <>,
    "Wereo_SUPREMACY" <> wrote:

    > By "accident" I just got a command that said "auto config" and the
    > screen moved over nicely the way it needed to do. This is what happened
    > last time too! I hope it STAYS this way. Also the screen lost a bit of
    > brightness at the same time but if that's the way I'm supposed to view
    > the screen than who am I to argue?

    The brightness is closer to what it should be now, as the monitor is
    syncing up correctly.

    > I'm scared that when I do something it's just goning to shift back to
    > it's same old ill-gotten ways like last time. If it stays the way it is
    > like it's supposed to then Problem #1 with new equipment is solved and
    > the case will be closed. However I hope the new equipment here is smart
    > like you and I. I'm running Windows XP home version if that means
    > anything.

    What resolution are you running in now?
    And what is the native resolution for that monitor (look in the manual).

    > Here, I'll offer up a New Command:
    >
    > SCREEN DON'T EXPAND!!!!! I hope that works hahahahaa :)
    >
    > Thank you for your help. I think it's gonna happen again as soon as I
    > do something though. I've got another glitch to tell you about
    > too....Scott

    Could be related. What is it?

    David Matthew Wood, Aug 30, 2006