    hi can any one tell me how stop ,my recent documents listing on my start
    menu i am runing windows xp
    cheers hax
    mark, May 13, 2004

  2. Hi Hax

    Right click your Start button
    Properties
    Customise
    Untick the "List my most recently opened documents"
    OK
    OK

    That'll do it
    JW

    John Williams, May 13, 2004

  3. mark

    °Mike° Guest

    Copy/paste the following into Notepad and
    save it as a .reg file. Double click the .reg
    file to merge into your registry. Note that
    everything between [ and ] MUST be one
    line only, and there must be a blank line at
    the end of the file.

    Reboot for the changes to take effect.

    ***** <-- Omit this line
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "NoRecentDocsHistory"=hex:01,00,00,00
    "NoRecentDocsMenu"=hex:01,00,00,00
    "NoSMMyDocs"=hex:01,00,00,00

    ***** <-- Omit this line

    On Thu, 13 May 2004 21:50:10 +0100, in
    <5cRoc.623$>
    mark scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, May 13, 2004
  4. mark

    Rifleman Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > Copy/paste the following into Notepad and
    > save it as a .reg file.

    Overly complicated crap snipped

    Why the REGISTRY hack? Why not do it easily through Start properties?

    Sheeeesh!
    Rifleman, May 13, 2004
  5. mark

    °Mike° Guest

    On Thu, 13 May 2004 23:06:02 +0100, in
    <>
    Rifleman scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> Copy/paste the following into Notepad and
    >> save it as a .reg file.

    >Overly complicated crap snipped

    Why am I not surprised at that remark?
    <Shakes head>

    >Why the REGISTRY hack? Why not do it easily through Start properties?

    Because the Start properties only "hides" the menu.
    A record is STILL kept of opened documents, etc.
    My (uncomplicated) .reg file will disable the keeping
    of documents history, altogether.

    >Sheeeesh!

    Do things right, or don't do them at all; "Sheeeesh", indeed.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, May 13, 2004
  6. mark

    Rifleman Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > Because the Start properties only "hides" the menu.

    read the OPs post. That's EXACTLY what he wanted to do - hide it!
    Rifleman, May 13, 2004
  7. mark

    °Mike° Guest

    On Thu, 13 May 2004 23:35:59 +0100, in
    <>
    Rifleman scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> Because the Start properties only "hides" the menu.

    >read the OPs post. That's EXACTLY what he wanted to do - hide it!

    I repeat; do things properly, or don't do them at all.

    I know what he meant, and I'm sure he would agree
    that disabling it altogether is the preferred way to go,
    otherwise he wouldn't have asked, now would he?

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, May 13, 2004
  8. mark

    °Mike° Guest

    On Thu, 13 May 2004 23:35:59 +0100, in
    <>
    Rifleman scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> Because the Start properties only "hides" the menu.

    >read the OPs post. That's EXACTLY what he wanted to do - hide it!

    Oh, and for your benefit, since you don't seem to be
    able to read, the OP asked:
    "can any one tell me how stop ,my recent documents....."

    That's "STOP", *not* "HIDE".

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, May 13, 2004
  9. mark

    Joevan Guest

    On Thu, 13 May 2004 23:39:29 +0100, °Mike° <>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 13 May 2004 23:35:59 +0100, in
    > <>
    > Rifleman scrawled:
    >
    >>"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >>> Because the Start properties only "hides" the menu.

    >>read the OPs post. That's EXACTLY what he wanted to do - hide it!

    >Oh, and for your benefit, since you don't seem to be
    >able to read, the OP asked:
    >"can any one tell me how stop ,my recent documents....."
    >
    >That's "STOP", *not* "HIDE".

    I think I used Tweak UI. It seems to be doing the job.
    joevan
    Joevan, May 14, 2004
  10. mark

    °Mike° Guest

    On Fri, 14 May 2004 14:01:58 GMT, in
    <>
    Joevan scrawled:

    >On Thu, 13 May 2004 23:39:29 +0100, °Mike° <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 13 May 2004 23:35:59 +0100, in
    >> <>
    >> Rifleman scrawled:
    >>
    >>>"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>>read the OPs post. That's EXACTLY what he wanted to do - hide it!

    >>Oh, and for your benefit, since you don't seem to be
    >>able to read, the OP asked:
    >>"can any one tell me how stop ,my recent documents....."
    >>
    >>That's "STOP", *not* "HIDE".

    >I think I used Tweak UI. It seems to be doing the job.

    I've not checked if TweakUI does the same, but there's
    no need to install software.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, May 14, 2004