    Logitech Messenger webcam
    Mitsumi (HP-branded) USB floppy drive
    HP Photosmart All-in-one C5180

    =?Utf-8?B?S3Jpcw==?=, Jan 30, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?S3Jpcw==?=

    Agent86 Guest

    You left out the most important consideration- Memory the 64 bit
    version support much more memory than the 32 bit so if you have ( or
    plan to get) 4gb or more then go for the 64 bit, otherwise the 32 bit
    should do you fine.

    Agent86, Jan 30, 2007

  3. Re: My processor is 64-bit capable, is tha Vista 64 version worth

    Thanks. I've got 1.5GB so I'll be sticking with the 32-bit version I guess.
    Is it possible to upgrade from the 32-bit to the 64-bit version at a later
    date?

    =?Utf-8?B?S3Jpcw==?=, Jan 30, 2007
  4. Re: My processor is 64-bit capable, is tha Vista 64 version worth

    No, you can't "upgrade". Any installation of a 64-bit version is a fresh
    install. However, that being said, my understanding is that your license for
    Vista is for both versions. So you wouldn't have to buy the 64-bit later.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 30, 2007
  5. =?Utf-8?B?S3Jpcw==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Re: My processor is 64-bit capable, is tha Vista 64 version worth

    OEM is one or the other. Upgrade and full retail are for both.

    John Barnes, Jan 31, 2007
  6. Re: My processor is 64-bit capable, is tha Vista 64 version worth

    Charlie, who said February is the shortest month? This one sure isn't going
    to feel like it.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 31, 2007
  7. =?Utf-8?B?S3Jpcw==?=

    McG. Guest

    Re: My processor is 64-bit capable, is tha Vista 64 version worth

    Well the busier you are, the faster time flies, right? Gonna be a fast
    month. Valentines day, Income Tax, Windows Vista release, just to note
    the more obvious <g!> Have a great month Colin!
    McG.

    McG., Jan 31, 2007
  8. Your situation sounds familiar to me. I was asing the same question about
    XP64 bit a year ago.

    I decided to upgrade my hardware and got myself an AMD Athlon too. I was
    previously using XP32 but when I read Microsoft's XP64 website I was seduced
    into changing: the site told me that it was just like XP32 but with racing
    stripes and turbo-charging. The way to make the most of all 64 bits of my new
    uP. I bought XP64 and sold my XP32 to a friend.

    My life has been hell ever since. XP64 is VERY DIFFERENT from XP32. For a
    start it lacks drivers: I had to buy a brand new printer and scanner. My
    Logitec camera won't work. My motherboard didn't come with XP64 drivers so I
    wasted a lot of time trying to find work-arounds. I suffered through no less
    than 7 complete re-installs, many requiring me to re-install all my
    applications and data. Some software applications just don't work -
    RealPlayer cannot be installed on XP64.

    I have contacated various parts of MicroSoft in recent months to try to
    pursuade them to empathize with me and swap my XP64 for XP32 (I offered to
    pay all postage and handling and to return my disks) - so far they have
    blankely refused. Can you believe that?

    The thought of an XP32 user naively upgrading to Vista 64 leaves me in a
    cold sweat. So please be very careful.

    =?Utf-8?B?YmFt?=, Jan 31, 2007
  9. =?Utf-8?B?S3Jpcw==?=

    Dshai Guest

    Bam,
    While I haven't used XP Pro x64 as long as most on this NG, I have
    been using it for several months now, I haven't had any problems with any
    software thus far aside from Norton's which I'd already replaced but had to
    deal with some residual problems that were discussed in another string here.
    Not only do I have Real Player installed and working, it's also an older
    version, 8.0 Plus to be exact and it functions beautifully. In fact, my only
    complaint thus far is not being able to find a replacement for the default
    tray clock, I was rather spoiled to Atomic Clock, something I've used for
    years, however in light of the overall improvements over x86 as far as
    stability and performance I can live with the clock Bill sent.

    --

    Dshai

    Life is only limited by those living it...

    Dshai, Feb 1, 2007
  10. =?Utf-8?B?S3Jpcw==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    I sure miss Atomic Clock also. That's one of the nicest little schedulers.
    I did find an app called RICOlmer that does a lot of the functions well.
    http://ricolmer.actuary.pl/index_en.html

    John Barnes, Feb 1, 2007
  11. =?Utf-8?B?S3Jpcw==?=

    Guest

    On Jan 30, 1:21 pm, Agent86 <> wrote:
    > You left out the most important consideration- Memory the 64 bit
    > version support much more memory than the 32 bit so if you have ( or
    > plan to get) 4gb or more then go for the 64 bit, otherwise the 32 bit
    > should do you fine.

    64 bit versions of software (when you can find them) run faster or do
    more than the same 32 bit program. I don't know if there are more
    instructions or registers in use under 64 bit OS versus 32 bit.

    Half Life 2 is a prime example. I complained at first because Valve
    just freakin' sniffed your PC via Steam and installed the 64 bit
    upgrades without giving you a choice, and it had a nasty bug right at
    the end. However, they got it going eventually and it really works
    well. Here is their blurb release:
    -------------
    Valve Updates Half-Life to 64bit

    Valve, the leading first person shooter developer in the gaming
    industry and producers of the popular Half-Life series and it's
    modification, Counterstrike, have released an updated Source engine.

    Valve calls their Half-Life 2 engine the Source Engine, and the games
    based on it are called Source games, such as Counterstrike Source.

    "Bringing the Source technology to the AMD64 processor platform is an
    important step in the evolution of our game content and tools. This
    investment in future processing will allow us, and third party
    developers working with Source, to push the boundaries of the gaming
    experience." says co-founder of Valve, Gabe Newell.

    The updated version of the Source Engine has native support for the
    AMD 64 bit processors, a new technology which allows double the
    traffic to transfer the processor pipe, something Intel has yet to
    release to the home market.

    "AMD Athlon 64 FX processors are targeted for systems designed to
    provide the ultimate experience for a new generation of power users
    running demanding applications. Combining the performance of AMD64
    processors." says the VP of AMD's desktop division.
    -----------------

    > On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 11:43:00 -0800, Kris
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > >As the subject says, I've got an AMD 64 3800+ processor on my machine. All
    > >of my software is 32-bit. I believe all my hardware has 64-bit drivers
    > >available. So, would there be any noticeable performance increase in using
    > >this version because of my processor?

    > >My configuration is as follows:
    > >NVIDIA GeForce 6150LE graphics (inegrated graphics part of a Asus A8N-LA
    > >motherboard; HP a1410n Pavilion computer)
    > >TEAC DV-516E (DVD reader)
    > >TSSTCORP CD/DVDW TS-H552L (Lightscribe-enabled DVD writer)
    > >MCE receiver/remote control
    > >Microsoft Elite Wireless Keyboard and mouse
    > >Hauppage PVR-150 TV card
    > >Realtek High Definition Audio
    > >Logitech Messenger webcam
    > >Mitsumi (HP-branded) USB floppy drive
    > >HP Photosmart All-in-one C5180

    , Feb 1, 2007
  12. =?Utf-8?B?S3Jpcw==?=

    Dshai Guest

    Thanks John, that gave me back the scheduler protion, that was a
    biggie...;o)

    Dshai, Feb 1, 2007
  13. On 2007-02-01, <> wrote:
    > On Jan 30, 1:21 pm, Agent86 <> wrote:
    >> You left out the most important consideration- Memory the 64 bit
    >> version support much more memory than the 32 bit so if you have ( or
    >> plan to get) 4gb or more then go for the 64 bit, otherwise the 32 bit
    >> should do you fine.

    > 64 bit versions of software (when you can find them) run faster or do
    > more than the same 32 bit program. I don't know if there are more
    > instructions or registers in use under 64 bit OS versus 32 bit.

    It all depends very much on the application. AMD64 has more registers, a
    modernised instruction set and is probably faster doing 64-bit
    arithmetic. Especially pointer-intensive applications however use much
    more memory and require much more memory bandwidth. This becomes even
    worse if the extra memory demand causes the system to run out of ram.

    For short, you can expect anything from a few times faster to many times
    slower. If you have plenty of memory for the applications it is between
    a few times faster and about the same.

    --- Jan

    Jan Wielemaker, Feb 1, 2007
  14. =?Utf-8?B?S3Jpcw==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    You're welcome. Has about 95% of the capabilities of Atomic Clock.

    John Barnes, Feb 1, 2007
  15. Re: My processor is 64-bit capable, is tha Vista 64 version worth

    How about the downloadable upgrade-version? Is that the same as with the
    upgrade retail version?

    And also, I have XP home, 32-bits, on a 64-bit machine. Can I install the
    downloadable 64-bit version of Vista? Doesn't matter if I have to do a full
    re-install or not, but does it going to work?

    Can I install the 32-bit Vista later with the same download-version that I
    installs 64-bit Vista, if my drivers and software doesn't support 64-bit so
    well? And the same here, I don't matter if I have to do a full re-install, I
    just want to know if it is possible.

    I sure don't want to either get a bad working 64-bit Vista, or be forced to
    buy the 32-bit also, and throw away the 64-bit version in the garbage.

    But isn't 64-bit PC's going to be standard soon? I personally thought that
    would be the case with Vista, but it sure doesn't seem that way now. It's
    more like us 64-bit users is an exception or something when new software
    arrives...

    Why does Microsoft have to complicate things this much?

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgTGFyc3Nvbg==?=, Feb 1, 2007
  16. Re: My processor is 64-bit capable, is tha Vista 64 version worth

    Well, perhaps in most cases -- the Business Vista upgrade DVD which was
    included in the MAPS distribution was 32 bit only...

    =?Utf-8?B?QmFycnkgU2NobnVy?=, Feb 2, 2007
  17. =?Utf-8?B?S3Jpcw==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Re: My processor is 64-bit capable, is tha Vista 64 version worth

    Is this more clear? (Upgrade and full) RETAIL are for both :)

    John Barnes, Feb 2, 2007
  18. Re: My processor is 64-bit capable, is tha Vista 64 version worth

    "Agent86" wrote:

    > You left out the most important consideration- Memory the 64 bit
    > version support much more memory than the 32 bit so if you have ( or
    > plan to get) 4gb or more then go for the 64 bit, otherwise the 32 bit
    > should do you fine.
    >
    > On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 11:43:00 -0800, Kris
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >As the subject says, I've got an AMD 64 3800+ processor on my machine. All
    > >of my software is 32-bit. I believe all my hardware has 64-bit drivers
    > >available. So, would there be any noticeable performance increase in using
    > >this version because of my processor?
    > >
    > >My configuration is as follows:
    > >NVIDIA GeForce 6150LE graphics (inegrated graphics part of a Asus A8N-LA
    > >motherboard; HP a1410n Pavilion computer)
    > >TEAC DV-516E (DVD reader)
    > >TSSTCORP CD/DVDW TS-H552L (Lightscribe-enabled DVD writer)
    > >MCE receiver/remote control
    > >Microsoft Elite Wireless Keyboard and mouse
    > >Hauppage PVR-150 TV card
    > >Realtek High Definition Audio
    > >Logitech Messenger webcam
    > >Mitsumi (HP-branded) USB floppy drive
    > >HP Photosmart All-in-one C5180

    Agent86 you are certainly right that memory utilization is an issue that
    would encourage one towards acquireing the Vista operating system, that said
    most consumer mother boards are limited to 4 RAM slots which gives you a max
    of four gigabytes with 1 Gigabyte RAM sticks and useing 2 Gigabyte RAM sticks
    a max of eight Gigabytes. Some motherboard may be limited to operating with a
    max of 4 Gigabytes even though they could physically accept 4 2 Gigabytes
    sticks. Also if you go beyond two sticks your RAM takes a performance hit. 32
    bit programmes are default limited to 2 Gigabytes RAM and whilst a 64 bit
    operating system does allow application programmes to accesss huge amounts of
    RAM, as most programmes are still 32 bit, the Vista 64 will be running its 32
    bit emulation facility with 32 bit programmes and thus be restricted to
    allowing these programmes the default 2 Gigabytes of RAM.

    Best and Warm Regards
    Adrian Wainer

    =?Utf-8?B?QWRyaWFuIFdhaW5lcg==?=, Feb 3, 2007
  19. RE: My processor is 64-bit capable, is tha Vista 64 version worth

    bam I am sorry, you had so many problems with XP x64, that said I think
    Vista 64 will mature much quicker than XP x64, in that apparently products in
    order to gain Vista certification will have to be capable of being run in
    both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Vista, which I presume will
    accelerate compatability and support for Vista 64.

    Best and Warm Regards
    Adrian Wainer

    =?Utf-8?B?QWRyaWFuIFdhaW5lcg==?=, Feb 3, 2007
  20. Re: My processor is 64-bit capable, is tha Vista 64 version worth

    OTOH, if you have 64bit media from an alternative source, you can use the
    same key for 32-bit and 64-bit, from what I know.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 5, 2007