    This can't be right? Anyone have an issue like this and should I be
    bringing this back ASAP?

    thanks

    Bacchus, Jul 12, 2005

  2. Bacchus

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Bacchus wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I just purchased a Powershot A310, refurbished. I just got new AA batteries
    > and have been playing around with the camera for around 1/2 hour..learning
    > the features and stuff. The camera is now telling me to change the
    > batteries after 1/2 hr of use, and then it shuts down completley. The
    > batteries are still good as it powers up my CD & MP3 players with ease and
    > with al kinds of battery life left.
    >
    > This can't be right? Anyone have an issue like this and should I be
    > bringing this back ASAP?

    If you're using regular non rechargeable batteries, this is normal
    for digital camera use. Regular batteries have a higher internal
    resistance which gives them a less than desireable discharge curve.

    Get yourself some Nickle Metal Hydride batteries and a charger. Not
    only will the batteries last *much* longer, but you'll save money in
    the long run by not having to buy more batteries.

    Jim Townsend, Jul 13, 2005

  3. Bacchus

    ASAAR Guest

    On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 18:36:16 -0400, Bacchus wrote:

    > I just purchased a Powershot A310, refurbished. I just got new AA batteries
    > and have been playing around with the camera for around 1/2 hour..learning
    > the features and stuff. The camera is now telling me to change the
    > batteries after 1/2 hr of use, and then it shuts down completley. The
    > batteries are still good as it powers up my CD & MP3 players with ease and
    > with al kinds of battery life left.
    >
    > This can't be right? Anyone have an issue like this and should I be
    > bringing this back ASAP?

    It's perfectly normal. Digital cameras require far more energy
    than those other devices. My Sony CD player (that plays my MP3s)
    gets roughly 40 hours of playing time from a single AA battery.
    Even if your CD player and camera were both designed to shut off
    when the voltage drops to, say, 1.1 volt per cell, when you take the
    batteries out of the camera, the battery voltages might quickly rise
    to 1.4 volts. That's how alkalines function. Then place these same
    batteries in the CD or MP3 player, and under their much lighter
    load, the batteries might drop from 1.4 volts per cell to only 1.38
    volts, allowing them to get many more hours out of the batteries
    that are dead as far as the camera is concerned. And most digital
    devices are far less tolerant of low voltages than their analog
    counterparts. When the batteries go dead in any of my electronic
    radios, I can easily get them to play for another 20 to 30 hours in
    almost any cheap analog radio, assuming the volume isn't turned up
    too high.

    Newer cameras get much longer life from alkaline batteries, but in
    yours, you should use NiMH rechargeables, and I'd imagine that if
    you use the camera the same way that you did while learning to use
    it, you'd get at least an hour per charge, maybe a lot more. And if
    you were using the LCD display extensively, then by disabling it and
    using only the optical viewfinder (I'm not familiar with the A310,
    but assume that it has one instead of an electronic viewfinder/EVF),
    you'd get far longer battery life, even with alkaline AA batteries.

    ASAAR, Jul 13, 2005
  4. "Bacchus" <> writes:

    > I just purchased a Powershot A310, refurbished. I just got new AA batteries
    > and have been playing around with the camera for around 1/2 hour..learning
    > the features and stuff. The camera is now telling me to change the
    > batteries after 1/2 hr of use, and then it shuts down completley. The
    > batteries are still good as it powers up my CD & MP3 players with ease and
    > with al kinds of battery life left.
    >
    > This can't be right? Anyone have an issue like this and should I be
    > bringing this back ASAP?

    If you're using alkaline AAs in a camera the vintage of the A310, it's
    quite likely normal behavior. Alkaline batteries can't support the
    high current draw of these cameras except at the *very* beginning of
    the battery's life, so they will fail to run the camera when they
    still have plenty of power for less demanding uses, just as you
    noticed.

    Half an hour is about what I'd get from alkaline batteries in my old
    Epson 850. NiMH rechargables (which is what that camera came with)
    will last a LOT longer. Lithium primary batteries will also last
    longer, but they're pretty expensive (I keep a set for emergency
    backup, since they store a lot better than NiMH).

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jul 13, 2005
  5. Bacchus

    Bacchus Guest

    Now my camera is not handling the ac adpatar I have for it.

    --
    Kevin Oye
    Oye's Outlet

    <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/>