    If I can't get one free they I'll have to buy. What pay packages
    do you like. I have an old version of NERO, I'm not sure what version
    it is but I hear NERO might work.

    pickle, Dec 26, 2004

  2. pickle

    pickle Guest

    Smarty wrote:
    > pickle,
    >
    > I use both Nero 6 Ultra Edition and Ulead Video Studio 8 as well and agree
    > with Bill's comments. One distinction I wanted to add is that Nero's
    > software supports using the burner for data backups and other purposes
    > whereas Ulead's Video Studio 8 only does video DVDs. If you are buying only
    > 1 program, then Ahead's Nero Ultra will give you a lot more flexibility, but
    > its' video editing / authoring is definitely inferior to Ulead.
    >
    > Smarty
    >
    > "Bill" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I've been fairly pleased with Ulead Video Studio 8, though its menu
    >>creation is a bit limited. I love its video capture feature--video capture
    >>for me has been very smooth/fluid with Video Studio 8.
    >>
    >>For an all in one package, which even includes an excellent hard drive
    >>backup utility, Ulead 6.0 Ultra Edition offers a great deal for its $99
    >>price tag--and if you have an earlier version, even if its OEM, you should
    >>be able to purchase it online for $49.95. A fully functional trial version
    >>can be downloaded at:
    >>
    >>http://www.nero.com/us/neroue-prog.php
    >>
    >>Most of the current trial version expires on 12/31, it was posted on 12/3.
    >>However, Ahead software is constantly updating the program, and a newer
    >>version will no doubt post before mid January, if past experiences are any
    >>indication. That was a major downside to Nero 6--Ahead seemed to rush it
    >>to market in mid 2003, loaded with bugs, apparently preferring to treat
    >>its end users as beta testers.
    >>
    >>"pickle" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>My wife got me a Plextor PX-712A for christmas.
    >>>The bundled software (plextor rev 9.02) won't install.
    >>>Says it can't read the data.cab file. It's a bundle of
    >>>Roxio easy CD creator, a Roxio player and some other stuff.
    >>>Now, I usually don't install entire software bundles anyway
    >>>because they are usually crap but having a burner software
    >>>is kinda needed. Roxio is not so good anyway.
    >>>
    >>>I want to write data, DVD format that I create and copy my DVDs
    >>>for archive protection.
    >>>
    >>>Is there a good free software pack for writing to my DVD burner?
    >>>I googled it and cane up with only a couple and I wondered what manes you
    >>>recommend.
    >>>
    >>>If I can't get one free they I'll have to buy. What pay packages
    >>>do you like. I have an old version of NERO, I'm not sure what version it
    >>>is but I hear NERO might work.

    I use Adobe Premiere for video editing. I just need the software
    to burn the DVD.
    I did find this which looks good.

    http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

    Ever hear of it?

    pickle, Dec 26, 2004

  3. pickle

    Bill Guest

    Bill, Dec 27, 2004
  4. pickle

    Smarty Guest

    Smarty, Dec 27, 2004
  5. pickle

    Smarty Guest

    pickle,

    You may have overlooked something. I too use Adobe Premier for video, and it
    does not produce an authored DVD for burning. For DVD authoring, the use of
    an additional program will be required to create menus, make the appropriate
    DVD file and directory structure, and then burn a disk.

    The freeware program you referenced looks fine for data disks, which you
    also expressed an interest in producing.

    Smarty

    Smarty, Dec 27, 2004
  6. pickle

    Smarty Guest

    pickle,

    Your computer clock / calendar are set to yesterday. Thus all of your
    messages show up way below all of the other messages / replies arriving
    today...

    Smarty

    Smarty, Dec 27, 2004
  7. pickle

    Donald Link Guest

    Definetly use Nero. I have give up on Roxio a long, long time ago and
    even have tried recent versions. Nero rocks. If it is not to old a
    version you may be able to upgrade cheaply or not at all. Stay away
    from the rewritable software such as Incd and such.

    Donald Link, Dec 27, 2004
  8. pickle

    pickle Guest

    Donald Link wrote:
    > Definetly use Nero. I have give up on Roxio a long, long time ago and
    > even have tried recent versions. Nero rocks. If it is not to old a
    > version you may be able to upgrade cheaply or not at all. Stay away
    > from the rewritable software such as Incd and such.

    My NERO is version 5.5. I don't think it handles DVD.

    pickle, Dec 28, 2004
  9. pickle

    luminos Guest

    "pickle" <> wrote in message
    > Donald Link wrote:
    >> Definetly use Nero. I have give up on Roxio a long, long time ago and
    >> even have tried recent versions. Nero rocks. If it is not to old a
    >> version you may be able to upgrade cheaply or not at all. Stay away
    >> from the rewritable software such as Incd and such.
    >>
    >> On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 18:37:46 +0000, pickle <> wrote:
    >>

    > My NERO is version 5.5. I don't think it handles DVD.

    It most certainly does handle DVD.

    luminos, Dec 28, 2004
  10. pickle

    Ken Maltby Guest

    "Donald Link" <> wrote in message
    > Definetly use Nero. I have give up on Roxio a long, long time ago and
    > even have tried recent versions. Nero rocks. If it is not to old a
    > version you may be able to upgrade cheaply or not at all. Stay away
    > from the rewritable software such as Incd and such.

    Nero is a great burning program put I wouldn't use it to Author
    a DVD, and certainly not to encode for one. (There may come a
    time when they have a true MPEG4 AVC(H.264) encoder
    working as they have announced, and then I would give them
    another look.)

    If your "Adobe Premiere" produces DVD compliant MPEG files,
    then you would still need to Author the new DVD. In the Adobe
    world I believe that is "Encore". If Premiere only outputs AVI,
    then you are going to need to Encode to DVD Compliant MPEG
    using an MPEG Encoder. If you can afford to go the Adobe
    route, there are many high quality encoders out there.

    I find that using products such as TMPGEnc www.pegasys-inc.com
    provides very effective Encoding solutions, as well as my favorite DVD
    Authoring Program TMPGEnc DVD Author (TDA). For a great deal
    less cost.

    Another much liked DVD authoring approach is with DVDLab.
    Their new DVDLab Pro has been getting great reviews, even from
    former Premiere users.

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Dec 28, 2004