my pictures of the Washington, DC area

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by andrew@expressdonate.com, Feb 2, 2007.

  1. Guest

    , Feb 2, 2007

  2. Jack Mac Guest

    On 2 Feb 2007 04:39:34 -0800, ""
    <> wrote:

    >Hello all
    >
    >please visit www.dcphotoworks.com give me your two cents and ideas of
    >other things to shoot around DC area
    >
    >Andy
    >
    >www.dcphotoworks.com

    I enjoyed your photos but that dark blue text on the black background is
    hard to read.

    Jack Mac

    Jack Mac, Feb 2, 2007

  3. pltrgyst Guest

    On 2 Feb 2007 04:39:34 -0800, ""
    <> wrote:

    >please visit www.dcphotoworks.com give me your two cents and ideas of
    >other things to shoot around DC area

    Umm, with the preponderance of law enforcement types around DC and the current
    hypersensitive climate toward terorism, you might choose a verb other than
    "shoot."

    Even in a photography newsgroup. 8;)

    -- Larry

    pltrgyst, Feb 2, 2007
  4. Annika1980 Guest

    On Feb 2, 7:39 am, ""
    <> wrote:
    > Hello all
    >
    > please visitwww.dcphotoworks.comgive me your two cents and ideas of
    > other things to shoot around DC area
    >
    > Andy

    I don't think you need page after page of essentially the same pic of
    the White House.
    Having said that, I did notice the flag over the White House was
    flying at half-mast, perhaps signifying the recent death of our
    Constitution.

    Annika1980, Feb 2, 2007
  5. pltrgyst wrote:
    > On 2 Feb 2007 04:39:34 -0800, ""
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> please visit www.dcphotoworks.com give me your two cents and ideas of
    >> other things to shoot around DC area

    > Umm, with the preponderance of law enforcement types around DC and the current
    > hypersensitive climate toward terorism, you might choose a verb other than
    > "shoot."
    >
    > Even in a photography newsgroup. 8;)

    The security around the white House has always been tight. I remember
    trying to take a long exposure night shot of the back side of the White
    house back in the early 1980's. I barely got the tripod set up and the
    Secret Service told me to leave or they would take my camera and tripod.
    They are worse today but even 20+ years security was very high.

    Michael Johnson, Feb 2, 2007
  6. Annika1980 wrote:
    > On Feb 2, 7:39 am, ""
    > <> wrote:
    >> Hello all
    >>
    >> please visitwww.dcphotoworks.comgive me your two cents and ideas of
    >> other things to shoot around DC area
    >>
    >> Andy

    > I don't think you need page after page of essentially the same pic of
    > the White House.
    > Having said that, I did notice the flag over the White House was
    > flying at half-mast, perhaps signifying the recent death of our
    > Constitution.

    .... or Gerald Ford. I noticed he was across the street. He wouldn't
    have been allowed to take those tripod shots on the other side of the
    street, near the fence.

    Michael Johnson, Feb 2, 2007
  7. George Kerby Guest

    On 2/2/07 6:39 AM, in article
    ,
    "" <> wrote:

    > www.dcphotoworks.com

    Two words: "horizon line"

    George Kerby, Feb 2, 2007
  8. Annika1980 Guest

    On Feb 2, 11:11 am, Michael Johnson <> wrote:
    > ... or Gerald Ford. I noticed he was across the street. He wouldn't
    > have been allowed to take those tripod shots on the other side of the
    > street, near the fence.

    What is the rule in that area? Do they forbid tripods?
    What about monopods?
    Do they let you steady your camera against the fence?

    Annika1980, Feb 2, 2007
  9. Lee K Guest

    "Annika1980" <> wrote in message

    >perhaps signifying the recent death of our
    > Constitution.

    Asshole

    Lee K, Feb 3, 2007
  10. Annika1980 wrote:
    > On Feb 2, 11:11 am, Michael Johnson <> wrote:
    >> ... or Gerald Ford. I noticed he was across the street. He wouldn't
    >> have been allowed to take those tripod shots on the other side of the
    >> street, near the fence.

    > What is the rule in that area? Do they forbid tripods?
    > What about monopods?
    > Do they let you steady your camera against the fence?

    You can take quick hand held shots near, and at, the fence at the rear
    of the White house. Set up a tripod and you'll get company real quick
    telling you to move on. Why this is the case I don't know. The Secret
    Service agents aren't a chatty bunch so I didn't even ask why when they
    approached me 20+ years ago. My guess is they don't want anyone staying
    there for an extended period of time or maybe there is a specific threat
    that involves a tripod. A monopod would probably work as long as you
    didn't linger too long but my guess is you would only get one or two
    shots before getting lectured.

    You can take your time at the front of the White House but you are much
    further away from the structure. In the rear you are probably less than
    100' from the building. I remember being able to drive in the front and
    back sides. Now the streets are closed with permanent barricades
    erected. Security in DC is much more serious since 911 and I wouldn't
    even think about arguing with ANY security personnel. They will cart
    you away and let the details get sorted out at the DC jail. BTW, the DC
    jail IS NOT a place you would want to visit.

    Michael Johnson, Feb 3, 2007