My Pictures browse dialog - how to get List View default?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Terry Pinnell, May 6, 2008.

  1. My applications insist on showing Save As > My Pictures and File >
    Open > My Pictures in Thumbnail view. How can I change this default to
    List View please, like all my other 'normal' folders?

    It seems hard-coded into XP that when you open a My Pictures (or My
    Videos) browsing pane, you want to see thumbnails. I definitely do
    not! I have scores of sub-folders in these very large folders, and I
    want to see their *names*, and as many at once as possible.

    Note that I am not asking about customising Explorer/My Computer
    views. This is about the browse dialogs opened by all applications.

    Also asked in several other newsgroups and forums, so far without a
    solution.

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

    Terry Pinnell, May 6, 2008

  2. Terry Pinnell

    Snit Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> stated in post
    on 5/6/08 8:24 AM:

    > Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >> My applications insist on showing Save As > My Pictures and File >
    >> Open > My Pictures in Thumbnail view. How can I change this default to
    >> List View please, like all my other 'normal' folders?

    > You can change it just like you change any other.
    >
    >> It seems hard-coded into XP that when you open a My Pictures (or My
    >> Videos) browsing pane, you want to see thumbnails. I definitely do
    >> not! I have scores of sub-folders in these very large folders, and I
    >> want to see their *names*, and as many at once as possible.
    >>
    >> Note that I am not asking about customising Explorer/My Computer
    >> views. This is about the browse dialogs opened by all applications.

    > The important thing is to use both functions for 'All folders'. After
    > you change to list, in Tools/ Folder options/ View - click both Apply to
    > all folders and Reset all folders.
    >
    > I just fired up an XP machine to see what the problem was, and I was
    > able to change away from the thumbnail condition to a List condition for
    > the file manager for a graphics program opening the Pictures folder.

    But it still does not effect the Open dialogs, nor does setting the view in
    the Open dialog.

    <http://prescottcomputerguy.org/tmp/open_in_list.mov>

    Annoying. If there is a way around this I do not know it.

    --
    Prescott Computer Guy: Michael Glasser
    http://prescottcomputerguy.org

    Snit, May 6, 2008

  3. Terry Pinnell

    Snit Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> stated in post
    on 5/6/08 10:59 AM:

    > Snit wrote:
    >>>
    >>> You can change it just like you change any other.

    >>> The important thing is to use both functions for 'All folders'.
    >>> After you change to list, in Tools/ Folder options/ View - click
    >>> both Apply to all folders and Reset all folders.
    >>>
    >>> I just fired up an XP machine to see what the problem was, and I was
    >>> able to change away from the thumbnail condition to a List condition
    >>> for the file manager for a graphics program opening the Pictures
    >>> folder.

    >> But it still does not effect the Open dialogs, nor does setting the
    >> view in the Open dialog.
    >>
    >> <http://prescottcomputerguy.org/tmp/open_in_list.mov>

    > Your demonstration neglected to use both 'apply to all folders' and
    > 'reset all folders'. It only used 'apply to all folders'.
    >
    > I don't have a .mov demonstration, but my initial Paint experience
    > looked like your initial Paint .mov experience at the link above, but it
    > doesn't anymore since I changed it (everything) to list as described.

    Tried that and still a no-go. Using the reset does as expected - it resets
    the window settings to their default... but does nothing for the Open
    dialogs:

    <http://prescottcomputerguy.org/tmp/open_in_list2.mov>

    >> Annoying. If there is a way around this I do not know it.

    > It appears that Terry Pinnell != doesnotequal Snit.

    Er?

    Snit, May 6, 2008
  4. Terry Pinnell

    Snit Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> stated in post
    on 5/6/08 2:17 PM:

    > Snit wrote:
    >> "Mike Easter"

    >>> I don't have a .mov demonstration, but my initial Paint experience
    >>> looked like your initial Paint .mov experience at the link above,
    >>> but it doesn't anymore since I changed it (everything) to list as
    >>> described.

    >> Tried that and still a no-go. Using the reset does as expected - it
    >> resets the window settings to their default... but does nothing for
    >> the Open dialogs:
    >>
    >> <http://prescottcomputerguy.org/tmp/open_in_list2.mov>

    > If I were handy at making a .mov, I guess I could first demonstrate that
    > mine doesn't work that way (anymore), and then I suppose I could undo my
    > current default List configuration back to default thumbnails, and then
    > I could change default thumbnails back into default List. But I'm not
    > really fired up to do all that. Normally I don't even work in XP.

    I am not claiming you are lying - just noting that what you describe is not
    normal XP behavior. If I can find a way to do what you describe I shall
    post it (which does not imply I will spend much time on it).

    >>> It appears that Terry Pinnell != doesnotequal Snit.

    > Terry Pinnell started the thread, so then when you Snit replied, I tho't
    > you were Terry in a Snit suit (with a different persona/handle), but
    > that does not appear to be the case from the contrasting headers.

    I am not him but he might be me. :)

    Snit, May 6, 2008
  5. "Mike Easter" <> wrote:

    >Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >> My applications insist on showing Save As > My Pictures and File >
    >> Open > My Pictures in Thumbnail view. How can I change this default to
    >> List View please, like all my other 'normal' folders?

    >You can change it just like you change any other.
    >
    >> It seems hard-coded into XP that when you open a My Pictures (or My
    >> Videos) browsing pane, you want to see thumbnails. I definitely do
    >> not! I have scores of sub-folders in these very large folders, and I
    >> want to see their *names*, and as many at once as possible.
    >>
    >> Note that I am not asking about customising Explorer/My Computer
    >> views. This is about the browse dialogs opened by all applications.

    >The important thing is to use both functions for 'All folders'. After
    >you change to list, in Tools/ Folder options/ View - click both Apply to
    >all folders and Reset all folders.
    >
    >I just fired up an XP machine to see what the problem was, and I was
    >able to change away from the thumbnail condition to a List condition for
    >the file manager for a graphics program opening the Pictures folder.

    I don't think you read my post properly.

    Terry Pinnell, May 7, 2008
  6. Snit <> wrote:

    >"Mike Easter" <> stated in post
    > on 5/6/08 8:24 AM:
    >
    >> Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >>> My applications insist on showing Save As > My Pictures and File >
    >>> Open > My Pictures in Thumbnail view. How can I change this default to
    >>> List View please, like all my other 'normal' folders?

    >> You can change it just like you change any other.
    >>
    >>> It seems hard-coded into XP that when you open a My Pictures (or My
    >>> Videos) browsing pane, you want to see thumbnails. I definitely do
    >>> not! I have scores of sub-folders in these very large folders, and I
    >>> want to see their *names*, and as many at once as possible.
    >>>
    >>> Note that I am not asking about customising Explorer/My Computer
    >>> views. This is about the browse dialogs opened by all applications.

    >> The important thing is to use both functions for 'All folders'. After
    >> you change to list, in Tools/ Folder options/ View - click both Apply to
    >> all folders and Reset all folders.
    >>
    >> I just fired up an XP machine to see what the problem was, and I was
    >> able to change away from the thumbnail condition to a List condition for
    >> the file manager for a graphics program opening the Pictures folder.

    >But it still does not effect the Open dialogs, nor does setting the view in
    >the Open dialog.
    >
    > <http://prescottcomputerguy.org/tmp/open_in_list.mov>
    >
    >Annoying. If there is a way around this I do not know it.

    I'm still searching, and I'll let you know if I do find a solution.
    But it increasingly looks as if it's hard-coded into XP (or Windows in
    general). Major design flaw IMO.

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

    Terry Pinnell, May 7, 2008
  7. Terry Pinnell

    Snit Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> stated in post
    on 5/7/08 7:30 AM:

    > Terry Pinnell wrote:

    > Your applications use a windows file manager.

    > Gotit the first time.
    >
    >>> I just fired up an XP machine to see what the problem was, and I was
    >>> able to change away from the thumbnail condition to a List condition
    >>> for the file manager for a graphics program opening the Pictures
    >>> folder.

    >> I don't think you read my post properly.
    >>
    >> "Note that I am not asking about customising Explorer/My Computer
    >> views. This is about the browse dialogs opened by all applications."

    > Gotit the 2nd time. Your windows applications use a windows file
    > manager for such as Open, Save as.
    >
    > For my experimental change of the default, I used the Paint application
    > to demonstrate Open or Save as in File mode in the My Pictures folder,
    > as did Snit in his .mov demonstrations of what didn't work.
    >
    > Maybe we should compare who is doing what as an administrator vs
    > non-admin. Everything I did, I did as admin.

    I did mine as admin as well... as you can see in the Start Menu (easy to
    miss).

    --Aldous Huxley

    Snit, May 7, 2008
  8. Terry Pinnell

    Snit Guest

    "Terry Pinnell" <> stated in post
    on 5/7/08 2:53 AM:

    > Snit <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Mike Easter" <> stated in post
    >> on 5/6/08 8:24 AM:

    >>> You can change it just like you change any other.

    >>> The important thing is to use both functions for 'All folders'. After
    >>> you change to list, in Tools/ Folder options/ View - click both Apply to
    >>> all folders and Reset all folders.
    >>>
    >>> I just fired up an XP machine to see what the problem was, and I was
    >>> able to change away from the thumbnail condition to a List condition for
    >>> the file manager for a graphics program opening the Pictures folder.

    >> But it still does not effect the Open dialogs, nor does setting the view in
    >> the Open dialog.
    >>
    >> <http://prescottcomputerguy.org/tmp/open_in_list.mov>
    >>
    >> Annoying. If there is a way around this I do not know it.

    > I'm still searching, and I'll let you know if I do find a solution.
    > But it increasingly looks as if it's hard-coded into XP (or Windows in
    > general). Major design flaw IMO.

    Not sure I would call it a *major* design flaw, but it is clearly something
    that is not done well. To add to the variables I just upgraded to SP3... so
    if I try again that might change things. If I do find a solution I might
    downgrade back to SP2 just to see if it works there, too (I am using virtual
    machines... not that big of a deal to do).

    Snit, May 7, 2008
  9. Snit <> wrote:

    >"Mike Easter" <> stated in post
    > on 5/7/08 7:30 AM:
    >
    >> Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >>> "Mike Easter"

    >> Your applications use a windows file manager.

    >> Gotit the first time.

    >>> I don't think you read my post properly.
    >>>
    >>> "Note that I am not asking about customising Explorer/My Computer
    >>> views. This is about the browse dialogs opened by all applications."

    >> Gotit the 2nd time. Your windows applications use a windows file
    >> manager for such as Open, Save as.
    >>
    >> For my experimental change of the default, I used the Paint application
    >> to demonstrate Open or Save as in File mode in the My Pictures folder,
    >> as did Snit in his .mov demonstrations of what didn't work.
    >>
    >> Maybe we should compare who is doing what as an administrator vs
    >> non-admin. Everything I did, I did as admin.

    >I did mine as admin as well... as you can see in the Start Menu (easy to
    >miss).

    I'm sole user, and have Administrator status.

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

    Terry Pinnell, May 7, 2008