my pc won't boot

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by rAgAv, Feb 18, 2008.

  1. rAgAv

    rAgAv Guest

    hello,

    computer configuration:-

    Win XP pro SP2
    512 MB Ram
    Intel desktop board (I don't know the number may be D110 GC or
    something)

    when I start my computer, I see this intel inside logo on the screen
    and nothing more...it just stays there...moreover, I see white
    vertical lines on the screen...

    So, its just some random vertical white lines on the intel inside logo
    before the boot up and nothing more.

    I can't even get to the set up screen. Nothing happens when I press f8
    or del or any other button

    What should I do?

    Do you think there might be something wrong with the BIOS? Because the
    keyboard doesn't work that time.

    Please help me if you know what's going on here...

    Regards.

    rAgAv, Feb 18, 2008

  2. rAgAv <> wrote in

    > hello,
    >
    > computer configuration:- > > Win XP pro SP2 > 512 MB Ram
    > Intel desktop board (I don't know the number may be D110 GC or
    > something)
    > > > >

    > when I start my computer, I see this intel inside logo on the screen
    > and nothing more...it just stays there...moreover, I see white
    > vertical lines on the screen...
    >
    > So, its just some random vertical white lines on the intel inside logo
    > before the boot up and nothing more.
    >
    > I can't even get to the set up screen. Nothing happens when I press f8
    > or del or any other button
    >
    > What should I do?
    >
    > Do you think there might be something wrong with the BIOS? Because the
    > keyboard doesn't work that time.
    >
    > Please help me if you know what's going on here... > > Regards.

    Sounds like your MBR if fubared...

    I use Ontrack EasyRecovery Professional v6.10.07 boot CD...
    You might have a friend who will lend you their copy.

    It's pretty much badda-bing intuitive once you boot from the CD.

    --

    My name is Bucky Breeder and I approve this message!

    Iceland up in the Howze? How ya doin' Iceland!!!?
    Happy National Bun Day, Iceland!!!

    (Wow! "History". Kinda teers ya up, doesn't it?)

    Bucky Breeder, Feb 18, 2008

  3. rAgAv

    rAgAv Guest

    I wish it was that simple...

    But, the PC won't go beyond the splash screen. I can't do anything...I
    can just stare at the splash screen

    nothing happens when I press F8 or del or any other button...

    I tried pressing tab but that landed me onto the POST screen and then
    nothing happened when I pressed F2 or F8.....it was basically stuck

    I couldn't even try and boot from the XP boot CD!!

    So, this is pretty weird...

    All this happens one fine morning when I hadn't done anything wrong
    the previous time I shut it down....

    Bucky Breeder, Feb 18, 2008
  5. rAgAv

    Ingeborg Guest

    rAgAv wrote:

    > I wish it was that simple...
    >
    > But, the PC won't go beyond the splash screen. I can't do anything...I
    > can just stare at the splash screen
    >
    > nothing happens when I press F8 or del or any other button...
    >
    > I tried pressing tab but that landed me onto the POST screen and then
    > nothing happened when I pressed F2 or F8.....it was basically stuck
    >
    > I couldn't even try and boot from the XP boot CD!!
    >
    > So, this is pretty weird...
    >

    > All this happens one fine morning when I hadn't done anything wrong
    > the previous time I shut it down....

    Yout BIOS settings got damaged, or your motherboard. In the second case
    you'll have to exchange it, in the first case you can reset it. Look in you
    motherboard manual how to do this. In most cases you'll have to place a
    jumper on 2 pins for a short time.

    Ingeborg, Feb 18, 2008
  6. rAgAv

    Rôgêr Guest

    rAgAv wrote:
    > hello,
    >
    > computer configuration:-
    >
    > Win XP pro SP2
    > 512 MB Ram
    > Intel desktop board (I don't know the number may be D110 GC or
    > something)
    >

    > when I start my computer, I see this intel inside logo on the screen
    > and nothing more...it just stays there...moreover, I see white
    > vertical lines on the screen...
    >
    > So, its just some random vertical white lines on the intel inside logo
    > before the boot up and nothing more.
    >
    > I can't even get to the set up screen. Nothing happens when I press f8
    > or del or any other button
    >
    > What should I do?
    >
    > Do you think there might be something wrong with the BIOS? Because the
    > keyboard doesn't work that time.
    >
    > Please help me if you know what's going on here...

    You can try some of the standard troubleshooting. Disconnect or remove
    any drives/memory/video card/modem/ etc one at a time and see if the
    computer goes any farther toward booting. Even with no video card you
    should be able to hear it going through post if it's trying boot up.

    Rôgêr, Feb 18, 2008
  7. rAgAv

    Steven Guest

    Reminds me of the old days when pc hardware just died on me and no matter
    what I did was unable to repair.

    But im guessing there is some component on the graphics cards that has died
    or maybe on the mainbord its self. so there is nothing that can be done
    unless you have wads of cash or have some kind of warranty cover on it.

    Only thing I can think of doing right now is attempting to power it up on
    minimal components or trying some other hardware in the pc you know works in
    a attempt to eliminate what part may be faulty.

    Steve

    Steven, Feb 18, 2008
  8. rAgAv

    Buffalo Guest

    "rAgAv" <> wrote in message
    > hello,
    >
    > computer configuration:-
    >
    > Win XP pro SP2
    > 512 MB Ram
    > Intel desktop board (I don't know the number may be D110 GC or
    > something)
    >

    > when I start my computer, I see this intel inside logo on the screen
    > and nothing more...it just stays there...moreover, I see white
    > vertical lines on the screen...
    >
    > So, its just some random vertical white lines on the intel inside logo
    > before the boot up and nothing more.
    >
    > I can't even get to the set up screen. Nothing happens when I press f8
    > or del or any other button
    >
    > What should I do?
    >
    > Do you think there might be something wrong with the BIOS? Because the
    > keyboard doesn't work that time.
    >
    > Please help me if you know what's going on here...
    >
    > Regards.

    Unplug and replug in your keyboard or try a different keyboard.
    If it is an USB keyboard, try a regular one.
    Unplug the machine and let it sit for 1/2 hour.
    Try the other things mentioned by others.
    Make sure the voltage (115v-230v)selector switch in the back of the power
    supply unit is in the correct position (machine should be off when you do
    this).

    Buffalo, Feb 18, 2008
  9. rAgAv

    rAgAv Guest

    Thanks for all your help!

    I followed the steps and removed the components one by one. It was one
    of the two 256MB RAMs. I changed the faulty one with a 512MB one. Its
    working well now.

    Anyway, can somebody tell me why RAMs get ruined after sometime? Is
    there something specific that I did that led to its malfunctioning?

    Cheers

    rAgAv, Feb 19, 2008
  10. rAgAv

    Rôgêr Guest

    rAgAv wrote:
    > Thanks for all your help!
    >
    > I followed the steps and removed the components one by one. It was one
    > of the two 256MB RAMs. I changed the faulty one with a 512MB one. Its
    > working well now.
    >
    > Anyway, can somebody tell me why RAMs get ruined after sometime? Is
    > there something specific that I did that led to its malfunctioning?

    Yes, you let the smoke out. This is a common technical malfunction.

    Rôgêr, Feb 19, 2008
  11. rAgAv

    Tony Guest

    Too much heat inside the computer case is usually the cause. Most think
    it's cheap ram but usually heat is what kills the ram sticks.

    Tony, Feb 19, 2008