    80GB?
    Is a slow 2.6 Mhz processor far inferior to a fast 2.6MHz processor ?

    The adjectives are confusing me.

    fruitbat, Feb 17, 2004

  2. fruitbat

    Vince Slevin Guest

    not mhz its ghz. 2.6 mhz wouldnt even work

    Vince Slevin, Feb 17, 2004

  3. fruitbat

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Vince Slevin" <> wrote in news:QHeYb.338765$na.499810
    @attbi_s04:

    > not mhz its ghz. 2.6 mhz wouldnt even work

    Not true. There are a number of processors that worked around 2.6 mhz

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Feb 17, 2004
  4. fruitbat

    HF Guest

    The one 17" has those bigger inches and the other has small eight
    inches.Same with the hard disks. There are GIANT GB's and small GB's.Have
    you heard about new OS that will make tea and coffee
    "fruitbat" <> wrote in message
    > I have an ad for a computer in front of me.
    > The ad mentions that the PC includes a huge 17" screen and a massive 80GB
    > hard disc.
    > I have also seen ads for "a wopping 256Mb RAM" and for "lightning fast
    > 2.6MHz processor."
    >
    > Now my question is this.
    > How does a small 17" screen differ from a large 17" screen?
    > Is a moderate 80GB hard disc to be scoffed at in preference to a massive
    > 80GB?
    > Is a slow 2.6 Mhz processor far inferior to a fast 2.6MHz processor ?
    >
    > The adjectives are confusing me.

    ---

    HF, Feb 17, 2004
  5. fruitbat

    Chris Guest

    "fruitbat" <> wrote in message
    > I have an ad for a computer in front of me.
    > The ad mentions that the PC includes a huge 17" screen and a massive 80GB
    > hard disc.
    > I have also seen ads for "a wopping 256Mb RAM" and for "lightning fast
    > 2.6MHz processor."
    >
    > Now my question is this.
    > How does a small 17" screen differ from a large 17" screen?
    > Is a moderate 80GB hard disc to be scoffed at in preference to a massive
    > 80GB?
    > Is a slow 2.6 Mhz processor far inferior to a fast 2.6MHz processor ?
    >
    > The adjectives are confusing me.

    They're designed to confuse you. The average, uninformed consumer will walk
    into a shop, after seeing signs or advertisements offering "HUGE!!
    SPECTACULAR!!" savings, and not even think about what they're getting. An
    80 GB HDD is "huge" compared to my current 12 gig'er. When I upgrade my
    desktop, I'm building my own.

    Understand, however, that it's not a form of advertisement you can avoid.
    Every company uses deception in advertising. Their goal is to get you in
    the door, so their savvy salespeople can talk you into something. The
    alternative is the "anti-gimmick", which is, yep you guessed it, also a
    gimmick. There is no profitable company out there in the mainstream that
    doesn't employ marketing analysts of some kind, and who wouldn't sell you
    something you don't need. It's called business for a reason.

    The best way to avoid the confusing terms is to go in the door already
    knowing what it is that you are after. Shop around, do research, and jot
    down what it is that you need. When going into the store, get out your
    list, and tell the salesperson that's what you're after. If shown a system,
    insist on seeing the specs list yourself. If they match up, you're in the
    green. This is an effective strategy, whether buying a computer, or a
    missile defense system. The informed consumer is the wise consumer.

    (And don't let the salesperson write on your list! If possible, use an odd
    color of pen just in case.)

    Chris, Feb 17, 2004
  6. fruitbat

    Beachcomber Guest

    >> Now my question is this.
    >> How does a small 17" screen differ from a large 17" screen?
    >> Is a moderate 80GB hard disc to be scoffed at in preference to a massive
    >> 80GB?
    >> Is a slow 2.6 Mhz processor far inferior to a fast 2.6MHz processor ?

    There is the old story of the Fairchild Engineer who was responsible
    for writing up a description of components in the company's sales
    catalog.

    One product, a "buffer amplifier" had dramatically increased in speed,
    so a subsequent revision of the data sheet listed the product as a
    "Fast Buffer Amplifier".

    The next year, the speed of the product had increased further still,
    so our engineer published the next description as "Damn Fast Buffer
    Amplifiers".

    Beachcomber

    Beachcomber, Feb 17, 2004
  7. fruitbat

    mark mandel Guest

    "Chris" <> wrote in message

    > "fruitbat" <> wrote in message
    > > I have an ad for a computer in front of me.
    > > The ad mentions that the PC includes a huge 17" screen and a massive

    80GB
    > > hard disc.
    > > I have also seen ads for "a wopping 256Mb RAM" and for "lightning fast
    > > 2.6MHz processor."
    > >
    > > Now my question is this.
    > > How does a small 17" screen differ from a large 17" screen?
    > > Is a moderate 80GB hard disc to be scoffed at in preference to a massive
    > > 80GB?
    > > Is a slow 2.6 Mhz processor far inferior to a fast 2.6MHz processor ?
    > >
    > > The adjectives are confusing me.

    > They're designed to confuse you. The average, uninformed consumer will

    walk
    > into a shop, after seeing signs or advertisements offering "HUGE!!
    > SPECTACULAR!!" savings, and not even think about what they're getting. An
    > 80 GB HDD is "huge" compared to my current 12 gig'er. When I upgrade my
    > desktop, I'm building my own.
    >
    > Understand, however, that it's not a form of advertisement you can avoid.
    > Every company uses deception in advertising. Their goal is to get you in
    > the door, so their savvy salespeople can talk you into something. The
    > alternative is the "anti-gimmick", which is, yep you guessed it, also a
    > gimmick. There is no profitable company out there in the mainstream that
    > doesn't employ marketing analysts of some kind, and who wouldn't sell you
    > something you don't need. It's called business for a reason.
    >
    > The best way to avoid the confusing terms is to go in the door already
    > knowing what it is that you are after. Shop around, do research, and jot
    > down what it is that you need. When going into the store, get out your
    > list, and tell the salesperson that's what you're after. If shown a

    system,
    > insist on seeing the specs list yourself. If they match up, you're in the
    > green. This is an effective strategy, whether buying a computer, or a
    > missile defense system. The informed consumer is the wise consumer.
    >
    > (And don't let the salesperson write on your list! If possible, use an

    odd
    > color of pen just in case.)

    This is a good point because unless you go to a store like Fry's(as I have
    on many occasions)you're gonna wind up getting junk at what YOU think is a
    great price only to have it break down shortly thereafter(my own
    experience). But when I educated myself sufficiently I could go back and
    get components that I know to be more reliable. Of course, I've wound up
    getting such components(mobo, cpu)elsewhere because they were also cheaper.

    Mark Mandell

    mark mandel, Feb 17, 2004
  8. fruitbat

    LPV Guest

    "Chris" <> wrote in message

    (snipped)

    >The informed consumer is the wise consumer.

    Ta-da! There it is in one succinct statement. I couldn't agree more.

    It's been my experience that most salespeople will stop the "fluffing" when
    they know I've done my homework (research = informed, as Chris stated). If
    they don't, I just move on down the line (to another store, that is).

    Loren

    LPV, Feb 17, 2004
  9. fruitbat

    George Guest

    Also, microprocessors from Motorola and Zilog would typically run down to
    almost DC (I've tested them at around 10kHz-100kHz on in-circuit testers).
    Intel microprocessors won't run that slow however. (I don't know what their
    limit is.)

    George, Feb 17, 2004
  10. fruitbat

    Chris Guest

    "LPV" <> wrote in message

    > >The informed consumer is the wise consumer.
    > >

    > Ta-da! There it is in one succinct statement. I couldn't agree more.
    >
    > It's been my experience that most salespeople will stop the "fluffing"

    when
    > they know I've done my homework (research = informed, as Chris stated).

    If
    > they don't, I just move on down the line (to another store, that is).

    Yep, excellent advice, no matter what your purchase.

    I find many people tend to forget themselves when faced with "propaganda"
    about how incredibly valuable the salespeople claim their product is.

    Chris, Feb 17, 2004
  11. fruitbat

    Trent© Guest

    On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:14:08 GMT, "Chris" <>
    wrote:

    >Understand, however, that it's not a form of advertisement you can avoid.
    >Every company uses deception in advertising.

    Its a guy thing. Its a carry-over from dating! lol

    Once the product is secured...its often disappointing. lol

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Feb 18, 2004
  12. "fruitbat" <> wrote in message
    > I have an ad for a computer in front of me.
    > The ad mentions that the PC includes a huge 17" screen and a massive 80GB
    > hard disc.
    > I have also seen ads for "a wopping 256Mb RAM" and for "lightning fast
    > 2.6MHz processor."

    My old 450MHz computer was advertised as "lightning fast" as well when it
    was new. If it was true then it should still be true, so a 450 MHz computer
    is still "lightning fast" ;-)

    The Ancient One, Feb 18, 2004
  13. fruitbat

    LPV Guest

    "The Ancient One" <> wrote in message

    > "fruitbat" <> wrote in message
    > > I have an ad for a computer in front of me.
    > > The ad mentions that the PC includes a huge 17" screen and a massive

    80GB
    > > hard disc.
    > > I have also seen ads for "a wopping 256Mb RAM" and for "lightning fast
    > > 2.6MHz processor."

    > My old 450MHz computer was advertised as "lightning fast" as well when it
    > was new. If it was true then it should still be true, so a 450 MHz

    computer
    > is still "lightning fast" ;-)

    Well, in that case my old Pentium 60 is still "state of the art". Ain't I
    lucky? (grinning).

    Loren

    p.s. It still works like new (the PB Intel Pentium 60, that is). And no,
    it isn't the only computer I have (grin) - just one of the first ones I
    bought years ago.

    LPV, Feb 19, 2004
  14. fruitbat

    force Guest

    my commodore 64 run at a blazing .75 MHz

    force, Feb 19, 2004
  15. fruitbat

    Basket Case Guest

    "Vince Slevin" <> wrote in message
    > not mhz its ghz. 2.6 mhz wouldnt even work
    > "fruitbat" <> wrote in message
    > > I have an ad for a computer in front of me.
    > > The ad mentions that the PC includes a huge 17" screen and a massive

    80GB
    > > hard disc.
    > > I have also seen ads for "a wopping 256Mb RAM" and for "lightning fast
    > > 2.6MHz processor."
    > >
    > > Now my question is this.
    > > How does a small 17" screen differ from a large 17" screen?
    > > Is a moderate 80GB hard disc to be scoffed at in preference to a massive
    > > 80GB?
    > > Is a slow 2.6 Mhz processor far inferior to a fast 2.6MHz processor ?
    > >
    > > The adjectives are confusing me.

    The old Nintendo Entertainment System has a 2 MHz CPU...

    Basket Case, Feb 20, 2004