    just to find that it still won't work. The camera doesn't seem to
    recognize the battery.

    I love my old Mavica! Help. Anyone have any ideas?

    tabby, Aug 15, 2005

  2. tabby

    wavelength Guest

    Re: My older SONY Mavica FD-81 was dropped. Won't work. Battery problem?

    Sounds like (wild guess here) that the chip in the batter that passes
    info to the camera has been damaged.

    I'd go to the store and get a new battery first, and return it if that
    doesn't solve the issue.

    Otherwise, get a new camera (sorry) It would be cheaper than what Sony
    will want to fix your old one. Unless perhaps you bought a 5-year
    extended warranty?

    wavelength, Aug 15, 2005

  3. tabby

    ASAAR Guest

    On 15 Aug 2005 14:01:40 -0700, tabby wrote:

    >> I love my old Mavica! Help. Anyone have any ideas?

    > I'd go to the store and get a new battery first, and return it if that
    > doesn't solve the issue.

    wavelength's suggestion is a good one. It may not even be as
    costly as it would seem, because unless your lithium battery was
    bought recently, its current value may be much lower than you think.
    Whether they are used or not, rechargeable lithium batteries
    gradually lose capacity through an internal chemical process, so
    that after 2 or 3 years they usually need to be replaced. But if
    you do get another battery, make sure that you'll be able to return
    it in case the camera was also damaged.

    ASAAR, Aug 15, 2005
  4. tabby

    tabby Guest

    Re: My older SONY Mavica FD-81 was dropped. Won't work. Battery problem?

    The battery is only about a year old. Wavelength's idea and your's
    make sense. I have a friend who had a Mavica like mine. If he still
    has it, maybe I can try his battery!

    tabby, Aug 15, 2005
  5. In article <>,
    tabby <> wrote:

    > I re-charged the battery, but nothing changed. Is it possible to
    > "break" a battery? I hesitate to spend the money on a new battery,
    > just to find that it still won't work. The camera doesn't seem to
    > recognize the battery.

    Possible, but not too likely. There are LOTS of things in the camera
    that will break before something in the battery gives way. Fastest and
    easiest is to try another battery; but (as mentioned) make sure it can
    be returned. You'll probably have to.

    I don't know your Mavica, but one senario I've seen is where the
    contacts in the comera aren't connecting to the battery. If there are
    more than two, that could cause the camera to work but not be able to
    read the battery status. I've sometimes been able to gently bend them
    back into position.

    Another thought is that the camera is shorted internally, and the short
    is pulling the battery voltage down. In that case, it may indeed be new
    camera time.

    Scott Schuckert, Aug 16, 2005
  6. tabby

    Guest

    Re: My older SONY Mavica FD-81 was dropped. Won't work. Battery problem?

    UPDATE: I remembered I have a friend with a Mavica. I went to his
    house, and put his battery in my Mavica. It worked!! My husband
    purchased a new battery ($50!), I charged it. It works!

    I don't know what coud have happened to the battery when dropped, but
    that was the problem.

    Thanks to all for the advice.

    , Aug 19, 2005