    star over the range thingee... and anytime i connect i get and error sayin
    that the network is out of range.

    can someone tell me wat's goin on? thanks a lot
    Taquin Noel, Apr 14, 2005

  2. Taquin Noel

    Chuck Guest

    On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 23:04:32 -0400, "Taquin Noel" <*email_address_deleted*>
    wrote:

    >Ii am running windows xp sp2, i have installed a linksys wmp54g, tryin to
    >connect to a linksys wap54g
    >
    >they are both on the same network i.e. they have the same ip range
    >(192.168.0.1 and 100 respectively) same subnet mask.
    >
    >i see the network in the wireless network connection window but there is no
    >star over the range thingee... and anytime i connect i get and error sayin
    >that the network is out of range.
    >
    >can someone tell me wat's goin on? thanks a lot

    Taquin,

    How close is the computer to the WAP? Walls / floors between the two? Any
    electronic devices nearby (such as but not limited to microwave oven, cordless
    phone, fluorescent lamp, dimmer switch, large stereo speakers, TV set)? Are the
    antennas on both aimed parallel in all three dimensions?

    Can you connect the computer (or another computer) to the WAP, and examine the
    router access log? Any clues there?

    Have you enabled security on the WAP? WEP / WPA / MAC address filtering?

    Do you have up to date drivers / firmware on both wireless devices?

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck
    Chuck, Apr 14, 2005