My Newegg Experience

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Katie Langley, Nov 17, 2011.

  1. I purchased five Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/
    s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive (Item #: N82E16822136514) on
    09/26/11 $349.95 ($69.99 ea). In the past year I have purchased at
    least 10 of the exact same drives from Amazon.com, they have always
    arrived individually packaged, worked without any issues, and not one
    has failed. I wanted to use my Paypal account, so I purchased these
    drives from Newegg.com. BIG MISTAKE!!!

    The five drives arrived in a piece of Styrofoam that appeared to have
    been ripped from a larger piece of Styrofoam. The plastic wrapping
    each drive was pierced, ripped, and torn. They appeared as if a
    machine had used sharp tongs to pull them from shelves. These drives
    are made of hard plastic and even the plastic was dented and pressed
    in on several of the drives.

    ONLY TWO OF THE FIVE DRIVES WORKED upon receipt!!! Two drives did not
    mount in my PC. I tried all four of my internal bays and an external
    Thermaltake. Finally, I got one of the drives to mount successfully.
    So, that brings me to the last drive. It arrived with all of the SATA
    pins BENT! Not just a little bent but majorly bent. If you received
    five drives, and only two worked upon receipt would you feel
    comfortable using the three that did work??? I was only going to try
    to return the two that were unquestionably damaged and defective, so
    there would be no gray area. I was hoping this would make the whole
    process easier than trying to return all the drives. I had
    reservations about the other three, especially the one I had to mount
    several times and it blue screened my system upon several start ups,
    but compromised and decided to use them as backup drives.

    Newegg doesn't make returns an easy process. I started a Live Chat to
    explain the situation and request a return. After twenty minutes of
    explaining and trying to defend myself, the representative finally
    issued a RMA. The rep couldn't seem to understand the drives were
    damaged before I received them, and that I did not damage them. I am a
    professional photographer and my whole business is dependent upon data
    management. I care for and maintain my internal hard drives just as I
    do for my three $5,000 camera bodies.

    Using the RMA and Newegg label on 10/31/11 I returned the two HD's to
    Newegg in the same packaging in which they were shipped to me. On
    11/16/11 they arrive in a Newegg box with a wad of brown paper in the
    bottom and some bubble wrap on top. The plastic packaging was not on
    the drives, and they were sliding around on each other. It appeared as
    if someone threw them in the box. There was no receipt or
    communication as to what was going on or documentation on my Newegg
    account history.

    I called Newegg and spoke with a representative for thirty minutes.
    The representative was calm, professional and checked in with me when
    she put me on hold. She called me back after our call was
    disconnected. Impressive! I thanked her for her professionalism. I had
    to re-explain the whole situation. They rep would put me on hold to
    get advice from a supervisor. I was told to get a refund from the
    manufacture. I explained that I did not buy theses from the
    manufacturer. After explaining and re-explaining they were damaged
    before I received them the first time, and requesting to speak with
    the supervisor, they came up with the second attempt for Newegg to NOT
    take responsibility. They wanted to blame UPS for leaving the package
    at my front door when it was raining WHEN THE DRIVES WERE RETURNED TO
    ME (thrown in the box with not plastic packaging). They said they
    would settle the claim with UPS. I insisted that I would not be
    dishonest about this issue to get a refund! Newegg sold me damaged and
    defective drives NOT UPS. OMG!!! WTF????? Now they wanted me to lie
    and place blame on UPS. That was the fourth time they asked about UPS
    damaging the box. In the Live Chat the rep asked several times if the
    box was damaged upon arrival. The rep on the phone asked the same
    question at the beginning of the call. Initially, this rep told me to
    return the drives to the manufacture. She said, "they will take them
    back, it's easy. If it is so easy then why doesn't Newegg take that
    responsibility???

    It is 11/17/11, I have to package the HDs, drive to a UPS center, and
    return the defective HDs again. As a self employed person who already
    works 12-15 hour days this has been an exhausting, disappointing and
    unnecessary waste of four hours that I could have spent on a Client.
    Who knows if they will be shipped back to me or if the situation is
    resolved? I encourage you to save yourself the same hassles. I WILL
    NEVER ORDER FROM NEWEGG AGAIN, AND WILL TELL EVERYONE I KNOW ABOUT
    THIS EXPERIENCE.

    Boone, NC
    Katie Langley, Nov 17, 2011

  2. Katie Langley

    Baron Guest

    Katie Langley Inscribed thus:

> [...]
    > damaging the box. In the Live Chat the rep asked several times if the
    > box was damaged upon arrival. The rep on the phone asked the same
    > question at the beginning of the call. Initially, this rep told me to
    > return the drives to the manufacture. She said, "they will take them
    > back, it's easy. If it is so easy then why doesn't Newegg take that
    > responsibility???
    >
    > It is 11/17/11, I have to package the HDs, drive to a UPS center, and
    > return the defective HDs again. As a self employed person who already
    > works 12-15 hour days this has been an exhausting, disappointing and
    > unnecessary waste of four hours that I could have spent on a Client.
    > Who knows if they will be shipped back to me or if the situation is
    > resolved? I encourage you to save yourself the same hassles. I WILL
    > NEVER ORDER FROM NEWEGG AGAIN, AND WILL TELL EVERYONE I KNOW ABOUT

    Welcome to the club !

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.
    Baron, Nov 17, 2011

  3. Katie Langley

    Paul Guest

    Katie Langley wrote:
    > I purchased five Western Digital Caviar Green Hard Drive

    << ... tales of Internet sales shenanigans snipped>>

    > Boone, NC

    But this is a well known issue. Reading the review postings
    from customers, on the Newegg site, will warn you that Newegg
    simply doesn't know how to pack stuff. It's been like this
    for a while now. Drives flopping around in the box, is a
    common complaint.

    When I buy drives, I buy them from a local supplier. They
    come out of a larger packing box, as provided by Seagate
    or WDC. The clerk at the store pulls an OEM drive from the
    box, while I'm watching. If there were any issues with
    cosmetic damage (torn ESD bag), I can speak up right away.

    I've never had a problem with a drive bought that way.

    You really need to find how the various retailers handle
    their products - when you find one who gets the details
    right, I expect you're going to find your results a bit
    different.

    One other retailer in town, puts hard drives "on a nail"
    on the wall, which is just asking for trouble. You can't
    expect Joe Six Pack to take care, when pulling a drive
    off a wall display nail. So something in that store, could
    have been dropped multiple times, and you'd never know it.

    To be fair, the packaging is pretty good. This is an example
    of a drive packaged for wall display. This store also carried
    3.5" drives packaged this way. There are two layers of
    plastic, an outer shell and an inner shell. And the space
    between them, is for shock absorption. It's fun cutting
    the packaging with scissors, to get the drive out...

    http://www.futureshop.ca/multimedia/Products/500x500/100/10099/10099566.jpg

    *******

    In some cases, when you buy things over the Internet, you
    have to use your own craft and cunning, to avoid trouble.
    For example, if you buy a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply)
    that weighs 50lb., you don't put it on the same order
    as a couple disk drives. Because they'll put the whole
    lot into a larger box, and the UPS will flop around inside
    the box, crushing things. I've read many amusing tales
    of how much damage a UPS can do, including the UPS even
    breaking solid metal structural members inside itself. Have
    a careful look at your order first, to make sure the object
    mass and size mix, isn't courting disaster. Even companies
    that pack intelligently, will have a problem getting a UPS
    shipped to you in one piece.

    When I needed a UPS, I went to a big box store in town,
    visited the UPS section, and picked through the boxes on
    the display shelf, until I could find one with "less damage".
    None of them were completely free of damage to the cardboard.
    But at least I can eyeball them, and see if I want to do
    business with the store or not. Less of a mystery as
    to what I'm getting, and more convenient returns, if
    it is actually damaged inside.

    Paul
    Paul, Nov 18, 2011
  4. Katie Langley

    housetrained Guest

    "Katie Langley" wrote in message

[...]

    stick with Amazon, you can't lose!
    housetrained
    housetrained, Nov 18, 2011
  5. Katie Langley

    Loonie Guest

    On 21/11/2011 00:00, Alex Clayton wrote:
    > "Katie Langley" wrote in message
    >
    > I purchased five Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/
    > snip
    > NEVER ORDER FROM NEWEGG AGAIN, AND WILL TELL EVERYONE I KNOW ABOUT
    > THIS EXPERIENCE.
    >
    > Boone, NC

    It seems that the now RottonNewEgg should be abandoned.

    Bye bye RottonNewEgg!!!
    Loonie, Nov 21, 2011
  6. Loonie embroidered on the monitor :
    > On 21/11/2011 00:00, Alex Clayton wrote:
    >> "Katie Langley" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I purchased five Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/
    >> snip
    >> NEVER ORDER FROM NEWEGG AGAIN, AND WILL TELL EVERYONE I KNOW ABOUT
    >> THIS EXPERIENCE.
    >>
    >> Boone, NC

    > It seems that the now RottonNewEgg should be abandoned.
    >
    > Bye bye RottonNewEgg!!!

    I have been buying from Newegg for years now, not quite but almost
    exclusively, and even though I've complained about slow delivery on a
    product, which is quite opposite of their norm, I have to step up in
    defense.

    Newegg is just a web store. They don't make the products.

    The only time I received a defective product, I was able to RMA easily
    and at no additional cost. I had a replacement quickly.

    One of Newegg's best features is the customer reviews. Taking the time
    to read these thoroughly before you buy can give you a good idea of the
    fail rate of products, the particular quirks or incompatibilities. I
    frequently come across a complaint review and see that people often
    complain that a product doesn't do something it wasn't designed to do
    in the first place.

    The Newegg listings also give more detailed information than most web
    stores. A lack of useable information outside of the basic description
    is one of my biggest complaints with most products purchased online.

    If I have any lasting complaint with Newegg, it would be the one size
    fits all packaging. There's nothing quite like getting a part that's
    only a few inches packed in a big box. But on the other hand, these
    are usually better bounce-proofed than items stuffed into bubble
    mailers.

    As for defective products, that is an unfortunate experience. I hope
    that anyone experiencing such problems takes the time to post this to
    the Newegg reviews to help others make informed decisions.

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim

    "Distrust any enterprise that requires new clothes."
    - Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)
    James D Andrews, Nov 21, 2011