My New Pentax Optio S - not quite right?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Chris Davies, Jul 23, 2003.

  1. Chris Davies

    Chris Davies Guest

    Hello

    I recently bought a Pentax Optio S. I don't know much about cameras or
    photography and just wanted a nice looking zoom lens camera. Well
    that's what I got, but I worried about the quality of my images
    (objects on the horizon look slightly blurred) and wanted to know
    whether it was my camera or all pentax optio ss.

    I looked at sample images on a few review sites. These seemed somewhat
    sharper than the ones I'd taken myself. I then borrowed a friends
    optio s and have noticed that although images from his camera are
    slightly sharper where mine are blurred, his have problems of there
    own (slightly blurred objects in the foreground) where mine seems
    perfect. In addition to this, the pictures have a consitently
    different look to them (colour, brightness etc). I should add that I
    made sure settings and conditions were the same when taking photos for
    comparison.

    My question is, how much variation in quality should you expect from a
    camera like this? Should I send it back, or just accept that it will
    not be perfect. I worry that if I do return it I will get worse one in
    it's place!

    Thanks in advance - Chris
    Chris Davies, Jul 23, 2003

  2. (Chris Davies) wrote in

    > Hello
    > My question is, how much variation in quality should you expect from a
    > camera like this?

    This camera is problematic. It does not in general produce
    sharp pictures and there seems to be som alignment problems
    as the unsharpnes is uneven in the pictures.

    Now ... it is a VERY small camera. To make it very small they
    have made a special sliding lens. Therefore, you can have a
    zoom in this VERY small camera. Impressive. And some people
    really likes their little camera.

    So - is it a good camera? Yes - if you want the smallest there
    is that still got a zoom and take decent picures. No - if you want
    sharp pictures.

    You want sharp pictures - so send it back and buy something
    larger.

    Roland
    Roland Karlsson, Jul 23, 2003

  3. << I recently bought a Pentax Optio S. I don't know much about cameras or
    photography and just wanted a nice looking zoom lens camera. Well
    that's what I got, but I worried about the quality of my images
    (objects on the horizon look slightly blurred) and wanted to know
    whether it was my camera or all pentax optio ss. >>

    Chris-

    My Optio S is not that way. It generally takes fairly sharp photos that look
    good printed on a full sheet of paper. I have it set for best resolution with
    least compression.

    The only complaints I've heard were that the battery door is flimsy and it is
    hard to hold it still for the slow shutter speeds that are required for
    low-light conditions.

    My Optio S certainly fits this description! However, time will tell if the
    battery door's flexible hinge holds up better than some of the brittle plastic
    hinges on other cameras. Sometimes it is better to flex or bend when stressed.

    It sounds like you might have a defective camera. On the other hand, it is
    possible you are the victim of some photograpic quirks. For example, camera
    shake is more likely to occur with low light and no flash, resulting in
    blurry-looking images. Also, the focus system may choose to focus on a spot
    near the center of the image. This might be OK, but not if that spot was
    actually between two closer people or objects you were trying to photograph.
    In that case, the far wall would be sharp and the people or objects would be
    out of focus.

    If one area of a photo appears sharp, any object at the same distance as that
    area should also be sharp. You might try something like spreading out a
    newspaper and taping it to the wall. Shooting straight into it from about
    about two Meters away should result in an image that is reasonably sharp over
    most of the paper.

    Focus may also improve if there is more light such as in sunlight, compared to
    indoors with no flash. But I think I've gone far enough! There is much to
    learn about photography with respect to lighting and lenses.

    Fred
    Fred McKenzie, Jul 23, 2003
  4. Chris Davies

    borge Guest

    On 23 Jul 2003 07:25:47 -0700, (Chris
    Davies) wrote:

    >Hello
    >
    >I recently bought a Pentax Optio S. I don't know much about cameras or
    >photography and just wanted a nice looking zoom lens camera. Well
    >that's what I got, but I worried about the quality of my images
    >(objects on the horizon look slightly blurred) and wanted to know
    >whether it was my camera or all pentax optio ss.
    >
    >I looked at sample images on a few review sites. These seemed somewhat
    >sharper than the ones I'd taken myself. I then borrowed a friends
    >optio s and have noticed that although images from his camera are
    >slightly sharper where mine are blurred, his have problems of there
    >own (slightly blurred objects in the foreground) where mine seems
    >perfect. In addition to this, the pictures have a consitently
    >different look to them (colour, brightness etc). I should add that I
    >made sure settings and conditions were the same when taking photos for
    >comparison.
    >

    >My question is, how much variation in quality should you expect from a
    >camera like this? Should I send it back, or just accept that it will
    >not be perfect. I worry that if I do return it I will get worse one in
    >it's place!
    >
    >Thanks in advance - Chris

    It occurs to me that maybe you should set up the camera on a tripod
    (yes you read right). I usually use an Olympus 2100 UZ with stabilised
    lens.

    It made made a bit idle as far as holding the camera is concerned. I
    was getting sharp pictures whatever I did. Now the Optio S is small
    and the movement of pressing the shutter button can easily upset the
    camera and give motion blur.

    Try a good tripod and set the camera to the mountain Icon (infinity)
    now take a picture and you will be very pleased, I am sure.

    For your information, my stats are:
    Win 2000, Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz
    1 Gb memory,ADSL
    80+40 GB of disc space,Oly C2100 & Optio S
    Borge Pedersen :)
    Perth, Australia
    mailto:
    remove SPAM for email
    borge, Jul 24, 2003
  5. Chris Davies

    J Guest

    I suggest the Canon S230.

    J, Jul 24, 2003
  6. Chris Davies

    JK Guest

    Carrying around a tripod all the time defeats the purpose of having a
    shirt pocket sized camera. :) Perhaps he should return the Optio S, and
    get a larger camera with a fast lens instead(something like a Canon G3,
    or Olympus C5050)?

    JK, Jul 24, 2003
  7. Chris Davies

    BusyBee Guest

    I bought the Pentax Optio 550 and noticed that the pictures were not sharp
    if left at the default Sharpness setting and it does not retain any user
    setting in Pict mode. So to overcome this problem I use other modes which
    will retain the user setting for sharpness and the best setting is low and
    Contrast high. I now get sharp pictures. I have spoken to Pentax about this
    and they say that if I do not like the default settings for Pict mode I
    should use other modes but it should provide sharpness at the default mode
    which it does not do. Apart from this annoying little problem I still like
    the 5 megapixel 5 optical zoom camera. perhaps they will bring out a
    firmware revision.
    HTH

    BusyBee, Jul 24, 2003
  8. Chris Davies

    borge Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 12:22:52 -0400, JK <> wrote:

    >Carrying around a tripod all the time defeats the purpose of having a
    >shirt pocket sized camera. :) Perhaps he should return the Optio S, and
    >get a larger camera with a fast lens instead(something like a Canon G3,
    >or Olympus C5050)?

    Just where in my post did you find a reference to carrying a tripod
    all the time or for that matter ever - it was meant as a one time test
    which clearly is seen in the message unless you are just want to clown
    around. Feel free after all we are only limited by the capacity of our
    brains.

    borge, Jul 25, 2003