My Network Setup keeps crashing

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?TGVl?=, Apr 1, 2007.

  1. Hi,

    I've had my PC for over a year and until now have been happy using a dsl
    modem supplied by my ISP (Pipex). Due to them now being uncompetitive I've
    signed up with Sky.com. Sky have supplied me with a free wireless Netgear
    router and as I have wireless capability on my PC would like to use this
    facility.

    Yet when I try and set up a new wireless connection my 'Network Setup
    Wizard' crashes my whole PC during the process.

    All info I've found online suggests popping the XP disc into the machine and
    doing various things - which in a perfect world would be great but my PC came
    pre-installed with this OS.

    My question is really this - am I doomed to never using wireless networking
    because of this faulty part of my XP? I can't afford to buy an XP disc just
    for this problem.

    Are there any of MS's programmers on these forums? If so can you please
    help a desperate mum?!

    Thanks in advance :)

    Lisa
    -X-

    =?Utf-8?B?TGVl?=, Apr 1, 2007

  2. Hi
    If some thing is trashed in the core of the OS you do need the CD there or
    call the Vendor of the Laptop and ask for advice.
    However it might be that manual configuration would solve the problem.
    Follow the process a as described here, http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Apr 1, 2007

  3. Dearest Jack

    I am so thankful for your reply, I've got the wireless network working
    without going through the setup wizard!

    I can't believe it's taken so long asking this question on various forums
    and yet you answer it within the same night and it's working!

    As you may tell I'm extremely chuffed and want to send lots of 'thank you's'
    your way :)

    I will also make sure I keep hold of that website you linked for me as it's
    really good!

    Thank you once more, you really have helped me a great deal :)

    Kindest Regards,

    Lisa
    -X-

    =?Utf-8?B?TGVl?=, Apr 1, 2007