    the desktop, and don't know how to access files on the laptop from the
    desktop.

    I am not sure which machine is configured wrongly... any thoughts?
    anthonyberet, Apr 21, 2006

  2. anthonyberet wrote:
    > I am setting up a home LAN, with wifi router, and one desktop with an
    > ethernet card and a laptop with a wifi card. Both machines run win xp pro.
    >
    > The internet connection is working fine with both machines, I have run
    > the networking wizards on both, and I can now access shared files on the
    > desktop from the laptop.
    >
    > However, I don't have a 'my network places' shortcut in my start menu on
    > the desktop, and don't know how to access files on the laptop from the
    > desktop.
    >
    > I am not sure which machine is configured wrongly... any thoughts?

    What do you see in Windows Explorer as far as my network places?
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 21, 2006

  3. anthonyberet

    anthonyberet Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:
    > anthonyberet wrote:
    >> I am setting up a home LAN, with wifi router, and one desktop with an
    >> ethernet card and a laptop with a wifi card. Both machines run win xp
    >> pro.
    >>
    >> The internet connection is working fine with both machines, I have run
    >> the networking wizards on both, and I can now access shared files on
    >> the desktop from the laptop.
    >>
    >> However, I don't have a 'my network places' shortcut in my start menu
    >> on the desktop, and don't know how to access files on the laptop from
    >> the desktop.
    >>
    >> I am not sure which machine is configured wrongly... any thoughts?

    > What do you see in Windows Explorer as far as my network places?

    I can see the laptop, but not any files within it - it is doing that
    'torch rolling about' thing.
    I did set to share certain folder on the laptop.
    anthonyberet, Apr 21, 2006
  4. anthonyberet wrote:
    > Rôgêr wrote:
    >
    >> anthonyberet wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am setting up a home LAN, with wifi router, and one desktop with an
    >>> ethernet card and a laptop with a wifi card. Both machines run win xp
    >>> pro.
    >>>
    >>> The internet connection is working fine with both machines, I have
    >>> run the networking wizards on both, and I can now access shared files
    >>> on the desktop from the laptop.
    >>>
    >>> However, I don't have a 'my network places' shortcut in my start menu
    >>> on the desktop, and don't know how to access files on the laptop from
    >>> the desktop.
    >>>
    >>> I am not sure which machine is configured wrongly... any thoughts?

    >> What do you see in Windows Explorer as far as my network places?

    > I can see the laptop, but not any files within it - it is doing that
    > 'torch rolling about' thing.
    > I did set to share certain folder on the laptop.

    Sounds like you may be another candidate for IPX/SPX protocols as
    suggested earlier today by Duane. I've not really run into the
    networking problems between XP comps like you describe, but the NWLink
    solution worked for one person earlier today.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 21, 2006
  5. anthonyberet

    Chris Whelan Guest

    anthonyberet wrote:

    > I am setting up a home LAN, with wifi router, and one desktop with an
    > ethernet card and a laptop with a wifi card. Both machines run win xp pro.
    >
    > The internet connection is working fine with both machines, I have run
    > the networking wizards on both, and I can now access shared files on the
    > desktop from the laptop.
    >
    > However, I don't have a 'my network places' shortcut in my start menu on
    > the desktop, and don't know how to access files on the laptop from the
    > desktop.
    >
    > I am not sure which machine is configured wrongly... any thoughts?

    Neither.

    Right-click Start, select Properties - Customize... - Advanced. Scroll down
    and check My Network Places.

    HTH

    Chris

    --
    Remove prejudice to reply.
    Chris Whelan, Apr 21, 2006
  6. anthonyberet

    Stand Up Old Guest

    "anthonyberet" <> wrote in message
    >I am setting up a home LAN, with wifi router, and one desktop with an
    >ethernet card and a laptop with a wifi card. Both machines run win xp pro.
    >
    > The internet connection is working fine with both machines, I have run the
    > networking wizards on both, and I can now access shared files on the
    > desktop from the laptop.
    >
    > However, I don't have a 'my network places' shortcut in my start menu on
    > the desktop, and don't know how to access files on the laptop from the
    > desktop.
    >
    > I am not sure which machine is configured wrongly... any thoughts?

    also if you have Firewall they should be configured to allow each machine to
    see the other.
    Stand Up Old, Apr 21, 2006
  7. anthonyberet

    Rob Morley Guest

    In article <>
    anthonyberet <> wrote:
    > I am setting up a home LAN, with wifi router, and one desktop with an
    > ethernet card and a laptop with a wifi card. Both machines run win xp pro.
    >
    > The internet connection is working fine with both machines, I have run
    > the networking wizards on both, and I can now access shared files on the
    > desktop from the laptop.
    >
    > However, I don't have a 'my network places' shortcut in my start menu on
    > the desktop, and don't know how to access files on the laptop from the
    > desktop.

    You can just type \\hostname in the "Run" box or Explorer address box to
    open an Explorer window showing the remote host, or \\hostname\sharename
    to directly open the shared resource.
    Rob Morley, Apr 21, 2006