My Network Places Problem. Can anyone assisst?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Paul Woodsford, Jan 30, 2004.

  1. I have a home LAN with 2 PC's each running XP Home SP1. The Host connects to
    the WWW via ADSL and I use ICS to share with the client.

    Everything is working with the LAN, file transfer etc as well as WWW access,
    BUT I cannot get "My Network Places " to launch on the Host PC. It just
    freezes My Computer.

    I can use Explorer to view the client PC, I can use TridiaVNC to control the
    other PC and vice/versa but I just cannot launch "My Network Places ".

    Have done System Restore and sfc /scannow and run the Network Wizard to no
    effect.

    Any help much appreciated.

    --
    Paul Woodsford
    Remove ****NOSPAMPLEASE**** to Reply

    ---
    Paul Woodsford, Jan 30, 2004

  2. Paul Woodsford wrote:

    > I have a home LAN with 2 PC's each running XP Home SP1. The Host connects to
    > the WWW via ADSL and I use ICS to share with the client.
    >
    > Everything is working with the LAN, file transfer etc as well as WWW access,
    > BUT I cannot get "My Network Places " to launch on the Host PC. It just
    > freezes My Computer.
    >
    > I can use Explorer to view the client PC, I can use TridiaVNC to control the
    > other PC and vice/versa but I just cannot launch "My Network Places ".
    >
    > Have done System Restore and sfc /scannow and run the Network Wizard to no
    > effect.
    >
    > Any help much appreciated.

    I don't know the answer, but ICS is notorious for a lot of weird
    problems. What happens if you disable ICS and try to open My Network
    Places? If it works then an inexpensive router would be far preferable
    to ICS.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jan 31, 2004

  3. Found the cause.
    An unwanted Internet network shortcut to " MSN Groups" was present in " My
    Network Places".
    Switched off "Search for Network files & Printers " in Tools/Folders/View
    and deleted the shortcut and everything is back to normal.

    --
    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    : Paul Woodsford wrote:
    :
    : > I have a home LAN with 2 PC's each running XP Home SP1. The Host
    connects to
    : > the WWW via ADSL and I use ICS to share with the client.
    : >

    Paul Woodsford, Jan 31, 2004