My Network Places - Confused

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Boy Meets Web, Aug 11, 2005.

  1. Hey,

    Yesterday, I asked this question below:

    My Network Places ... Question

    Recently, I was browsing my files on my computer, when I saw on the left
    pane of my files towards the bottom ... I saw My Network Places. I clicked
    on it, because I was simply curious what was there - if anything. After
    clicking on it, I saw a bunch of folders.

    All these folders had strange headings. I thought if I were
    to list a few of these headings, if you could give me some insight as to
    what they are - and perhaps how they got on my computer.

    Folder 1) Apps on Master File Server (sol)
    Folder 2) Australia on QA-6
    Folder 3) C-Development on Raymond's build machine (Pe-6)
    Folder 4) Canada on Qa-6
    Folder 5) Development on Raymond's build machine (Pe-6)
    Folder 6) mpx on E-Salazar

    I received 1 solo response. And they said ------>

    "Those are other systems you are or have been connected to thru the
    network."

    I have not a clue what was meant by that statement.

    Can someone please clarify this for me?

    Thanks in Advance!!!

    BOY

    http://www.usenet.com

    Boy Meets Web, Aug 11, 2005

  2. Boy Meets Web

    Troy Piggins Guest

    * Boy Meets Web wrote:
    > Hey,
    >
    > Yesterday, I asked this question below:
    >
    > My Network Places ... Question
    >
    > Recently, I was browsing my files on my computer, when I saw on the left
    > pane of my files towards the bottom ... I saw My Network Places. I clicked

    So why ask it again? - your first post is still there and someone has
    responded.

    --
    Troy Piggins
    (playing with disposable email addresses

    Troy Piggins, Aug 11, 2005

  3. "Troy Piggins" <> wrote in message
    >* Boy Meets Web wrote:
    >> Hey,
    >>
    >> Yesterday, I asked this question below:
    >>
    >> My Network Places ... Question
    >>
    >> Recently, I was browsing my files on my computer, when I saw on the left
    >> pane of my files towards the bottom ... I saw My Network Places. I
    >> clicked

    > So why ask it again? - your first post is still there and someone has
    > responded.

    TROY, if you took the time to ready my post properly, you would have
    noticed - I SAID, I did not understand the response that the poster had
    left, and I asked if someone would pleasse calrify it up for me

    Boy

    http://www.usenet.com

    Boy Meets Web, Aug 11, 2005
  4. Boy Meets Web

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 15:54:24 -0700, Boy Meets Web wrote:

    >"Troy Piggins" <> wrote in message
    >>* Boy Meets Web wrote:
    >>> Hey,
    >>>
    >>> Yesterday, I asked this question below:

    Still you had to repeat your post.

    >>> My Network Places ... Question
    >>>
    >>> Recently, I was browsing my files on my computer, when I saw on the left
    >>> pane of my files towards the bottom ... I saw My Network Places. I
    >>> clicked

    >> So why ask it again? - your first post is still there and someone has
    >> responded.

    >TROY, if you took the time to ready my post properly, you would have
    >noticed - I SAID, I did not understand the response that the poster had
    >left, and I asked if someone would pleasse calrify it up for me

    Well then tell reply to the poster that gave you an answer, that you
    didn't understand it and ask if they could explain it. Don't start a new
    thread.

    This will be a PC at work or at home, or a PC from work you took home?

    <snip>

    So which of the 14 words didn't you understand?

    <pasted back in>

    I received 1 solo response. And they said ------>

    "Those are other systems you are or have been connected to thru the
    network."

    I have not a clue what was meant by that statement.

    <end paste>

    Let's see -

    other systems (not your PC)
    are or have been (may be or were)
    connected
    networked (many PCs connected together, sharing facilities)

    Me

    why?, Aug 12, 2005
  5. Boy Meets Web

    PC Guest

    "Boy Meets Web" <> wrote in message
    > Hey,
    >
    > Yesterday, I asked this question below:
    >
    > My Network Places ... Question
    >
    > Recently, I was browsing my files on my computer, when I saw on the left
    > pane of my files towards the bottom ... I saw My Network Places. I
    > clicked on it, because I was simply curious what was there - if anything.
    > After clicking on it, I saw a bunch of folders.
    >
    > All these folders had strange headings. I thought if I were
    > to list a few of these headings, if you could give me some insight as to
    > what they are - and perhaps how they got on my computer.
    >
    > Folder 1) Apps on Master File Server (sol)
    > Folder 2) Australia on QA-6
    > Folder 3) C-Development on Raymond's build machine (Pe-6)
    > Folder 4) Canada on Qa-6
    > Folder 5) Development on Raymond's build machine (Pe-6)
    > Folder 6) mpx on E-Salazar
    >
    > I received 1 solo response. And they said ------>
    >
    > "Those are other systems you are or have been connected to thru the
    > network."
    >
    > I have not a clue what was meant by that statement.
    >
    > Can someone please clarify this for me?
    >
    > Thanks in Advance!!!
    >
    > BOY

    It means at some time your computer has been connected to a network of some
    sort (LAN, ie local area network)
    The folders shown in ;your' Network Places are folders 'shared' to the
    network from other PC's that were connected to that network (LAN)

    or

    At some time you have tried to download files from a 'FTP' site and those
    are the folders made available to you to download from.
    i.e. they were 'shared' over the Internet (WAN, Wide Area Network)

    Connection to a LAN is usually via your Ethernet port which may or may not
    be still there depending if it is built into the motherboard or a plug in
    card.
    Connection to a WAN can be via Ethernet or Dial up depending on the
    circumstances.

    These folders can persist for weeks / months.
    If there is nothing inside the folders of interest you can delete them.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Aug 12, 2005
  6. Boy Meets Web

    pcbutts1 Guest

    I don't know why he didn't ask me.

    pcbutts1, Aug 12, 2005
  7. Boy Meets Web

    Troy Piggins Guest

    * Boy Meets Web wrote:

    > "Troy Piggins" <> wrote in message
    >>* Boy Meets Web wrote:
    >>> Hey,
    >>>
    >>> Yesterday, I asked this question below:
    >>>
    >>> My Network Places ... Question
    >>>
    >>> Recently, I was browsing my files on my computer, when I saw on the left
    >>> pane of my files towards the bottom ... I saw My Network Places. I
    >>> clicked

    >> So why ask it again? - your first post is still there and someone has
    >> responded.

    > TROY, if you took the time to ready my post properly, you would have
    > noticed - I SAID, I did not understand the response that the poster had
    > left, and I asked if someone would pleasse calrify it up for me

    My bad - would've kept it in the original thread, though.

    Troy Piggins, Aug 12, 2005
  8. "Boy Meets Web" <> wrote in

    > "Troy Piggins" <> wrote in message
    >>* Boy Meets Web wrote:
    >>> Hey,
    >>>
    >>> Yesterday, I asked this question below:
    >>>
    >>> My Network Places ... Question
    >>>
    >>> Recently, I was browsing my files on my computer, when I saw on
    >>> the left pane of my files towards the bottom ... I saw My
    >>> Network Places. I clicked

    >> So why ask it again? - your first post is still there and someone
    >> has responded.

    > TROY, if you took the time to ready my post properly, you would
    > have noticed - I SAID, I did not understand the response that the
    > poster had left, and I asked if someone would pleasse calrify it
    > up for me
    >
    > Boy

    > http://www.usenet.com

    Then why create another thread? Responding directly to the post you
    did not understand would show the progression of the topic.

    Top

    --
    Freedom is never free....

    Top (retired), Aug 13, 2005