    Jim Becker
    Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
    http://members.cox.net/jbecker31
    Jim Becker, Nov 15, 2007

  2. Hi
    Assuming that you have a Wireless Router, the name of you Wireless Network
    comes from the Router's SSID.
    If Vista uses another name for the whole group Wire and Wireless, you can
    rename it to what ever name you like.
    If you are referring to the socket name of the Wireless Network cards, that
    is the way it works, every time you configure the device it advances the
    Number. Just ignore it means nothing.
    Otherwise explain better for you are referring to.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 15, 2007

  3. Jim Becker

    Jim Becker Guest

    Thanks Jack!
    My router is a Linksys WRTG54. I did have a Buffalo wireless and the Linksys
    is a replacement. I went and removed the Buffalo info from Vista. Another
    weird thing is that if I choose to disconnect from my router and try to
    connect to a 'unsecured' router in my neighborhood (yikes), it'll make the
    connection, but Vista will also number that connection number 2. Something
    it never did before.

    The actual name of my connect i.e. "MyWireless" its there, it's just when I
    do the mouse over in the system tray that I see the number 2. I also see
    the number 2 while in the Network and Share Center.

    The other night I received a warning(?) message that said this computer has
    the same IP address as another in my network. Vista fixed itself and I
    never lost the connection

    Other than this minor quirp, is seems fine.

    Jim Becker, Nov 15, 2007
  4. Jim Becker

    Jim Becker Guest

    Jim Becker, Nov 22, 2007