    (Proper meaning widescreen).

    And while I'm at it, where's Nausicaa??

    Thanks!
    Ped Xing, Jul 12, 2003

  2. Ped Xing wrote:
    > Is "My Neighbor Totoro" ever going to get a proper release in region 1?
    > (Proper meaning widescreen).
    >
    > And while I'm at it, where's Nausicaa??
    >
    > Thanks!

    Read Disney has the rights to Nausicaa, and they will get the rights to
    Totoro in two years time when Fox's's's's rights run out on them. I
    couldn't get any more than that from the nice folks at rec.arts.anime.misc

    --
    "It is dark, you are likely to be eaten by a grue."
    --Zork

    Grand Inquisitor
    Grand Inquisitor, Jul 12, 2003

  3. Ped Xing

    Jay G Guest

    "Ped Xing" <> wrote ...
    > Is "My Neighbor Totoro" ever going to get a proper release in region 1?
    > (Proper meaning widescreen).

    No, proper means widescreen *and* original Japanese audio
    with subs.

    From the best site on the Studio Ghibli films:
    http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/totoro/faq.html#dub

    "Disney has acquired the global distribution rights
    for Ghibli movies, including Totoro, but Fox's rights
    don't expire until 2004."

    So, sometime after Fox's rights expire, Disney will
    probably release a 2-disc special edition in the US.

    > And while I'm at it, where's Nausicaa??

    http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/newspro/latest_news.shtml#newsitem1053569517,68232,

    -Jay
    Jay G, Jul 12, 2003
  4. Grand Inquisitor wrote:

    > Ped Xing wrote:
    >
    >> Is "My Neighbor Totoro" ever going to get a proper release in region
    >> 1? (Proper meaning widescreen).
    >>
    >> And while I'm at it, where's Nausicaa??

    > Read Disney has the rights to Nausicaa, and they will get the rights to
    > Totoro in two years time when Fox's's's's rights run out on them. I
    > couldn't get any more than that from the nice folks at rec.arts.anime.misc

    Okay, latest update--
    They're second and third in line (order TBA) on John Lasseter's desk;
    he's too busy with "Porco Rosso" at the moment.

    Derek Janssen (nice folk from RAAM who already knows this by heart)
    Derek Janssen, Jul 12, 2003
  5. Derek Janssen wrote:
    > Grand Inquisitor wrote:
    >
    >> Ped Xing wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is "My Neighbor Totoro" ever going to get a proper release in region
    >>> 1? (Proper meaning widescreen).
    >>>
    >>> And while I'm at it, where's Nausicaa??

    >> Read Disney has the rights to Nausicaa, and they will get the rights
    >> to Totoro in two years time when Fox's's's's rights run out on them.
    >> I couldn't get any more than that from the nice folks at
    >> rec.arts.anime.misc

    > Okay, latest update--
    > They're second and third in line (order TBA) on John Lasseter's desk;
    > he's too busy with "Porco Rosso" at the moment.
    >
    > Derek Janssen (nice folk from RAAM who already knows this by heart)

    Well that's good to know. I'd heard of Porco Rosso but didn't know it
    was in the works. Why'd they release Kiki in the initial bunch, instead
    of Nausicaa? You'd think they'd go for the most critically acclaimed
    ones first.

    Grand Inquisitor, Jul 12, 2003
  6. Grand Inquisitor wrote:

    >> Okay, latest update--
    >> They're second and third in line (order TBA) on John Lasseter's desk;
    >> he's too busy with "Porco Rosso" at the moment.

    > Well that's good to know. I'd heard of Porco Rosso but didn't know it
    > was in the works.

    So far, that's all the hard facts anybody knows, except that Susan Egan
    (Lin, "Spirited") is already cast as Gina.

    No mention of schedules, but the fact that *an* R2 dub is set to hit UK
    in the fall is....an encouraging sign for spring.

    > Why'd they release Kiki in the initial bunch, instead
    > of Nausicaa?

    Because it was already FINISHED.
    So was "Castle in the Sky", as it might not have escaped your notice.

    Derek Janssen (I *like* the ones that're actually finished, don't you?)
    Derek Janssen, Jul 12, 2003
  7. "Grand Inquisitor" <> wrote in message
    > Derek Janssen wrote:
    > > Because it was already FINISHED.
    > > So was "Castle in the Sky", as it might not have escaped your notice.
    > >
    > > Derek Janssen (I *like* the ones that're actually finished, don't you?)
    > >

    > Aren't they all finished? Or do you mean the dub? And still, why do a
    > dub for Kiki before Nausicaa? Or did Disney not do the Kiki dub? Were
    > the dubs for Kiki and Laputa done before Disney got the Ghibli deal?

    Hmm I havent seen either one (well, seen parts of Nausicaa), but arent
    Nausicaa and Atlantis similar in story? I seem to remember having that
    arguement (well others arguing about it) when Atlantis first came out.Now
    Porco Rosso, I may actually have to get that film, I liked that story. Hell
    just crank em out subbed, most of my collection is that way (or pure
    Japanese imports).

    Ratmaster2000, Jul 12, 2003
  8. Ped Xing

    BC Guest

    In article <yNMPa.9837$>, wrote:

    >Derek Janssen wrote:
    >> Grand Inquisitor wrote:

    >>> Read Disney has the rights to Nausicaa, and they will get the rights
    >>> to Totoro in two years time when Fox's's's's rights run out on them.
    >>> I couldn't get any more than that from the nice folks at
    >>> rec.arts.anime.misc

    >> Okay, latest update--
    >> They're second and third in line (order TBA) on John Lasseter's desk;
    >> he's too busy with "Porco Rosso" at the moment.
    >>
    >> Derek Janssen (nice folk from RAAM who already knows this by heart)
    >>

    >Well that's good to know. I'd heard of Porco Rosso but didn't know it
    >was in the works. Why'd they release Kiki in the initial bunch, instead
    >of Nausicaa? You'd think they'd go for the most critically acclaimed
    >ones first.

    More kiddy appeal maybe. Get the kids and the parents interested first,
    giving them a taste of things to come before releasing the good stuff...
    maybe.

    <=[BC]=>
    BC, Jul 12, 2003
  9. Grand Inquisitor wrote:
    > Well that's good to know. I'd heard of Porco Rosso but didn't know

    it
    > was in the works. Why'd they release Kiki in the initial bunch,
    > instead of Nausicaa? You'd think they'd go for the most critically
    > acclaimed ones first.

    I think the reason is, because Ghibli hasn't released NausicaƤ in Japan
    yet. They will release NausicaƤ sometime later this year...
    (www.nausicaa.net)...
    Florian Spisla, Jul 13, 2003
  10. Well, Mr. GI, some of us think Kiki is a better film than Nausicaa. I
    like them all, and have seen them all (have you?) and I think Kiki's is
    one of the greats - a wonderful, warm and wise film for people of all
    ages. And I'm not sure what you mean by "critically acclaimed" - Kiki's
    has received plenty of acclaim critically, whereas Nuasicaa has only
    received acclaim in Japan and from anime fans. I say all this with the
    following caveat, of course - Japanese ONLY. People who have only
    watched Kiki in English have no idea what the film is or should be.
    Brockhurst Pertwee, Jul 13, 2003
  11. On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 11:43:51 -0700 (PDT),
    (Brockhurst Pertwee) wrote:

    >I say all this with the
    >following caveat, of course - Japanese ONLY. People who have only
    >watched Kiki in English have no idea what the film is or should be.

    I think it's a real problem that some people think that watching a dub
    is the same as watching the original film. It's really not. Granted, I
    don't speak Japanese as well as I'd like and cannot understand a
    complete film without subs, but I have compared subs on the dutch
    Metropolis DVD. There's the English subs that are supposed to follow
    the Japanese as closely as possible, and there is the Dutch subs which
    subtitle the English dub instead of the Japanese (a very, very bad
    thing in itself). They are very different in some places. Couple that
    with the fact that for a lot of movies, the English dubs add voice
    overs and stuff where there are none in the original to explain stuff
    that doesn't really need explaining. See Mononoke, Metropolis but also
    the horrible dub of Mad Max. Add to that the fact that often, the
    Dutch subtitles will follow the English dub and you get subs when
    nobody is speaking if you watch the original language.

    I say, get rid of dubbing altogether and learn how to read subs. It's
    not like reading a book, they are not distracting and once you get
    used to them you only have to glance.

    Mischa
    Mischa van Dinter, Jul 13, 2003
  12. "Mischa van Dinter" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 11:43:51 -0700 (PDT),
    > (Brockhurst Pertwee) wrote:
    >
    > >I say all this with the
    > >following caveat, of course - Japanese ONLY. People who have only
    > >watched Kiki in English have no idea what the film is or should be.

    > I think it's a real problem that some people think that watching a dub
    > is the same as watching the original film. It's really not. Granted, I
    > don't speak Japanese as well as I'd like and cannot understand a
    > complete film without subs, but I have compared subs on the dutch
    > Metropolis DVD. There's the English subs that are supposed to follow
    > the Japanese as closely as possible, and there is the Dutch subs which
    > subtitle the English dub instead of the Japanese (a very, very bad
    > thing in itself). They are very different in some places. Couple that
    > with the fact that for a lot of movies, the English dubs add voice
    > overs and stuff where there are none in the original to explain stuff
    > that doesn't really need explaining. See Mononoke, Metropolis but also
    > the horrible dub of Mad Max. Add to that the fact that often, the
    > Dutch subtitles will follow the English dub and you get subs when
    > nobody is speaking if you watch the original language.
    >
    > I say, get rid of dubbing altogether and learn how to read subs. It's
    > not like reading a book, they are not distracting and once you get
    > used to them you only have to glance.
    >
    > Mischa

    Wow and I thought I was the only one who thought dubbing was bad. I dont
    mind if they do dubbing ALONG with subs and the original language, but when
    it's dub ONLY it really takes away the feel of the film. Along with the
    films you mentioned (especially Mad Max, man the aussie track is so much
    better), other bad examples are the Godzilla movies. Heck, they even
    redubbed EXISTING english parts in Godzilla vs. mothra (the 90's version) ,
    where's the logic in that? Heck forget subs, I think Japanese should be an
    elective language in High school, but that's just me.
    Ratmaster2000, Jul 14, 2003
  13. Brockhurst Pertwee wrote:
    > Well, Mr. GI, some of us think Kiki is a better film than Nausicaa. I
    > like them all, and have seen them all (have you?)

    Not seen Nausicaa or Porco Rosso. I admit I've only seen Kiki once, and
    against my better judgement I watched the English dub. I have since
    become a staunch Japanese track listener. I'll watch it again in
    Japanese, maybe that'll improve my opinion of it. Kirsten Dunst was
    terrible, worse than the usual anime dub actresses even.

    > and I think Kiki's is
    > one of the greats - a wonderful, warm and wise film for people of all
    > ages. And I'm not sure what you mean by "critically acclaimed" - Kiki's
    > has received plenty of acclaim critically, whereas Nuasicaa has only
    > received acclaim in Japan and from anime fans. I say all this with the
    > following caveat, of course - Japanese ONLY. People who have only
    > watched Kiki in English have no idea what the film is or should be.

    Me sorry. No need to flame me as I said I've learned my lesson. Please
    don't flame an ignorant anime newbie.

    Grand Inquisitor, Jul 14, 2003