My name in Google's search engine

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by jasonwoodrun@hotmail.com, Jan 8, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi there,

    I recently placed a "Want It Now" post on Ebay, and about a week ago I
    discovered to my utter dismay that a link relating to this posting has
    appeared in Google's search engine. This link shows my full name,
    address and postal code in the place where I live. Obviously, I don't
    like this at all and I want the link removed from Google's search
    engine.

    I tried to contact eBay, but got only an automated response. I tried
    to find an email address of Google's to email, but I failed.

    Does anyone know how I can have this link with my full name etc.
    removed?

    Thanks very much,

    Jason
     
    , Jan 8, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:

    > I recently placed a "Want It Now" post on Ebay,


    doh.

    > Does anyone know how I can have this link with my full name etc.
    > removed?


    You can't. It is a little piece of web history.

    The only thing google will remove for you, under appropriate
    circumstances, are newsgroup posts which are archived in googlegroups.

    It is entirely possible that other sources of personal information about
    you can also be found -- not just something you put up yourself, but
    'confluences' or congruences with other sources of information put up by
    others and not under your control.



    --
    Mike Easter
     
    Mike Easter, Jan 8, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Donald Guest

    Yes Your name is on 3 pages .. at least your email name is
    http://www.google.com/search?q=jasonwoodrun&hl=en&lr=lang_en&start=0&sa=N


    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I recently placed a "Want It Now" post on Ebay, and about a week ago I
    > discovered to my utter dismay that a link relating to this posting has
    > appeared in Google's search engine. This link shows my full name,
    > address and postal code in the place where I live. Obviously, I don't
    > like this at all and I want the link removed from Google's search
    > engine.
    >
    > I tried to contact eBay, but got only an automated response. I tried
    > to find an email address of Google's to email, but I failed.
    >
    > Does anyone know how I can have this link with my full name etc.
    > removed?
    >
    > Thanks very much,
    >
    > Jason
    >
     
    Donald, Jan 8, 2006
    #3
  4. Rich Wilson Guest

    Rich Wilson, Jan 8, 2006
    #4
  5. wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I recently placed a "Want It Now" post on Ebay, and about a week ago I
    > discovered to my utter dismay that a link relating to this posting has
    > appeared in Google's search engine. This link shows my full name,
    > address and postal code in the place where I live. Obviously, I don't
    > like this at all and I want the link removed from Google's search
    > engine.
    >
    > I tried to contact eBay, but got only an automated response. I tried
    > to find an email address of Google's to email, but I failed.
    >
    > Does anyone know how I can have this link with my full name etc.
    > removed?


    I just did a search for my name and I popped up all over the world at
    prestigious centers for higher learning, as economists, mathematicians,
    physicists, holding many degrees including B.S., Masters and Phds,
    getting special mention by the queen, etc. I need to start charging more
    to give speeches.
    --
    Weren't a single relative mentioned for getting hung for horse-stealing
    like my Dad used to tell me.
     
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jan 8, 2006
    #5
  6. Mitch Guest

    In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > I recently placed a "Want It Now" post on Ebay, and about a week ago I
    > discovered to my utter dismay that a link relating to this posting has
    > appeared in Google's search engine. This link shows my full name,
    > address and postal code in the place where I live. Obviously, I don't
    > like this at all and I want the link removed from Google's search
    > engine.
    >
    > I tried to contact eBay, but got only an automated response. I tried
    > to find an email address of Google's to email, but I failed.
    >
    > Does anyone know how I can have this link with my full name etc.
    > removed?


    You're talkng nonsense.
    You put personal information on the Web. People can find it on the Web.
    The eBay site isn't a separate function, it's on the same Web.

    So, you should expect to find what you post in a public place available
    to the public.

    For instance, the newsgroup post you just made was effectively
    publishing your e-mail address AGAIN -- but now, in a place where many
    spammers will find it very easy to get.

    However, you did manage to munge the REPLY-TO address, the one where it
    doesn't matter. (You should have them reversed.)
     
    Mitch, Jan 8, 2006
    #6
  7. Scraggy Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:

    >
    > I just did a search for my name and I popped up all over the world at
    > prestigious centers for higher learning, as economists,
    > mathematicians, physicists, holding many degrees including B.S.,
    > Masters and Phds, getting special mention by the queen, etc. I need
    > to start charging more to give speeches.


    Feedlines are us would like to thank you for using us today.

    http://www.tr-reklambyra.se/roger/wp-content/images/302681_4093.jpg

    Nice photo. Does you justice.

    --
    I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as
    members. Groucho Marx
     
    Scraggy, Jan 8, 2006
    #7
  8. John Holmes Guest

    blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I recently placed a "Want It Now" post on Ebay, and about a week ago I
    > discovered to my utter dismay that a link relating to this posting has
    > appeared in Google's search engine. This link shows my full name,
    > address and postal code in the place where I live. Obviously, I don't
    > like this at all and I want the link removed from Google's search
    > engine.
    >
    > I tried to contact eBay, but got only an automated response. I tried
    > to find an email address of Google's to email, but I failed.
    >
    > Does anyone know how I can have this link with my full name etc.
    > removed?
    >
    > Thanks very much,
    >
    > Jason
    >


    Hmm... I just did a search for my name and it comes up with 18 million
    records. Somebody even made a website for me!

    --
    Your mother was a decimated exotic dancer who farted constantly in fish
    and chip shops.
     
    John Holmes, Jan 8, 2006
    #8
  9. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:

    > I recently placed a "Want It Now" post on Ebay, and about a week ago I
    > discovered to my utter dismay that a link relating to this posting has
    > appeared in Google's search engine.


    According to ebay's information about how Want It Now works, it looks
    like the buyer and seller are anonymous

    // Your identity and the seller's identity will remain anonymous //

    When I look at wantitnow posts, I don't see anything about the buyer's
    information.

    > This link shows my full name,
    > address and postal code in the place where I live.


    I don't understand how that is according to the information at ebay.

    http://pages.ebay.com/wantitnow/about/buyers.html Want It Now are want
    ads, only better! Buyers can ask for items they want and sellers can
    search through these want ads and respond with eBay listings.


    --
    Mike Easter
     
    Mike Easter, Jan 8, 2006
    #9
  10. Guest

    Hi Mike,


    You're the only one who takes my problem seriously, thank you!

    Indeed, when you place a Want It Now advert on eBay, it's supposed to
    be anonymous. All the emails through My Messages are anonymous. But at
    the same time a link is placed in Google with the buyer's and seller's
    full names, addresses and postal addresses which, when double-slicked,
    show ALL their emails.


    I have deleted these emails, but the link in Google with my full name
    (my real name, that is) etc., and the link of the seller with his name
    etc., remains in Google.

    I assume that this will happen to anyone who places a Want It Now post
    on eBay, and people should be aware of this.

    PS Mitch, I reversed it to , so that it's easy
    for me to spot my name in Outlook Express.


    Jason







    On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 07:10:23 -0800, "Mike Easter" <>
    wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> I recently placed a "Want It Now" post on Ebay, and about a week ago I
    >> discovered to my utter dismay that a link relating to this posting has
    >> appeared in Google's search engine.

    >
    >According to ebay's information about how Want It Now works, it looks
    >like the buyer and seller are anonymous
    >
    >// Your identity and the seller's identity will remain anonymous //
    >
    >When I look at wantitnow posts, I don't see anything about the buyer's
    >information.
    >
    >> This link shows my full name,
    >> address and postal code in the place where I live.

    >
    >I don't understand how that is according to the information at ebay.
    >
    >http://pages.ebay.com/wantitnow/about/buyers.html Want It Now are want
    >ads, only better! Buyers can ask for items they want and sellers can
    >search through these want ads and respond with eBay listings.
    >
    >
    >--
    >Mike Easter
    >
     
    , Jan 8, 2006
    #10
  11. Rich Wilson Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    >
    > Hi Mike,
    >
    >
    > You're the only one who takes my problem seriously, thank you!
    >
    > Indeed, when you place a Want It Now advert on eBay, it's supposed to
    > be anonymous. All the emails through My Messages are anonymous. But at
    > the same time a link is placed in Google with the buyer's and seller's
    > full names, addresses and postal addresses which, when double-slicked,
    > show ALL their emails.


    Actually that's impossible - you can't put a "link in Google". Google just
    indexes pages on the web - if you find something on Google, it is/was on a
    web page somewhere.

    Still, I see why you're annoyed by it.
     
    Rich Wilson, Jan 8, 2006
    #11
  12. Guest

    On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 01:27:14 GMT, wrote:

    >Does anyone know how I can have this link with my full name etc.
    >removed?


    I had a similar problem but my reason for wanting the post removed was
    different to yours as my name was deliberately placed on search
    engines by a troll with a grudge. I was libeled and I used this
    procedure to get google to remove the posts I objected to. I take it
    you never sold any items on e-bay and your name has been placed there
    by someone with evil intent so e-mail and follow these
    instructions which they sent me.



    Thank you for your reply. In order to process your web search
    defamation complaint, you must provide a written communication (by fax
    or regular mail, not by email) that sets forth the items specified
    below.

    Please use the following format (including section numbers):

    1. Identify precisely the Google website where the information above
    appears (for instance, Google.co.uk). This is required because each
    website is governed by the specific laws of the country with which it
    is associated.

    2. Identify your country or countries of residence and citizenship.

    3. Identify precisely the information that you claim violates your
    rights under applicable law (the "Unlawful Material").

    FOR WEB SEARCH, YOU MUST IDENTIFY EACH SEARCH RESULT THAT DIRECTLY
    LINKS TO A WEBPAGE THAT ALLEGEDLY CONTAINS UNLAWFUL MATERIAL. This
    requires you to provide (a) the search query that you used, and (b)
    the URL for each allegedly unlawful search result.

    4. Identify in sufficient detail the reason that you believe the
    information indicated above violates your rights or is illegal under
    applicable law. For example, "Each of the search result URLs
    identified above contains child pornography that is not permitted
    under the laws of the country in which I reside or am a citizen."

    5. Provide information reasonably sufficient to permit Google to
    contact you (email address is preferred).

    6. Provide information sufficient to permit Google to notify the
    owner/administrator of the webpage that allegedly contains the
    Unlawful Material (webmaster or domain registrant name and email
    address).

    7. Include the following statement: "I have a good faith belief that
    the information specified above is not permitted by applicable law."

    8. Include the following statement: "I swear, under penalty of
    perjury, that the information in this notification is accurate."

    9. Sign the paper.

    10. Send the written communication by fax to +1-650-963-3255, Attn:
    Legal

    Please note that a copy of each legal notice we receive is sent to a
    third-party partner for publication and annotation. As such, your
    letter (with your personal information removed) will be forwarded to
    Chilling Effects (http://www.chillingeffects.org ). You can see an
    example of such a publication at
    http://www.chillingeffects.org/dmca512/notice.cgi?NoticeID=861

    Regards,
    The Google Team

    Please note you may have to ask many other online archive too such as;
    http://www.ureader.co.uk/
    http://www.wirelessforums.org
    http://www.usenethealth.com
    www.mailgate.org.uk
    www.broadbandbanter.com
    www.jamroll.co.uk
    www.gardenbanter.co.uk

    I have found these to be much easier to work with than google but
    google did come across eventually after months of asking. Now you can
    use the above and may get your problem sorted quicker. I posted for
    help in uk.legal and received good advice there as well as trolls
    Good luck,
    pete

    --
    Due to privacy considerations, I will not respond to mail from gmail.com.
    For more information, please visit www.google-watch.org/gmail.html
     
    , Jan 8, 2006
    #12
  13. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:

    > Indeed, when you place a Want It Now advert on eBay, it's supposed to
    > be anonymous.


    I don't see anything to indicate to me that it is not anonymous.

    > But at
    > the same time a link is placed in Google with the buyer's and seller's
    > full names, addresses and postal addresses which, when double-slicked,
    > show ALL their emails.


    That's not what ebay sez.

    Google just scrapes what is exposed. To the best of my ability to
    evaluate ebay's wantitnow, there is never any such exposure.

    The pages which you can see when you are logged in to your account are
    not the pages that google sees for its scraping. I suppose that if you
    have some kind of insecurity or spyware, something might work
    differently or 'improperly'..

    > I have deleted these emails, but the link in Google with my full name
    > (my real name, that is) etc., and the link of the seller with his name
    > etc., remains in Google.


    I don't know what the deletion of emails has to do with anything which
    has to do with google databasing things it finds on public webpages.

    > I assume that this will happen to anyone who places a Want It Now post
    > on eBay, and people should be aware of this.


    I don't think so unless there's something I haven't discovered yet.


    --
    Mike Easter
     
    Mike Easter, Jan 8, 2006
    #13
  14. Mitch Guest

    In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    > I have deleted these emails, but the link in Google with my full name
    > (my real name, that is) etc., and the link of the seller with his name
    > etc., remains in Google.


    Wait a minute -- shows your e-mail?
    Nobody should be storing your e-mail for online searching.

    Are you talking about using the Google Toolbar, by any chance?
     
    Mitch, Jan 8, 2006
    #14
  15. Andrew Guest

    On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 10:41:48 -0800, "Mike Easter" <>
    wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> Indeed, when you place a Want It Now advert on eBay, it's supposed to
    >> be anonymous.

    >
    >I don't see anything to indicate to me that it is not anonymous.
    >
    >> But at
    >> the same time a link is placed in Google with the buyer's and seller's
    >> full names, addresses and postal addresses which, when double-slicked,
    >> show ALL their emails.

    >
    >That's not what ebay sez.
    >
    >Google just scrapes what is exposed. To the best of my ability to
    >evaluate ebay's wantitnow, there is never any such exposure.
    >
    >The pages which you can see when you are logged in to your account are
    >not the pages that google sees for its scraping. I suppose that if you
    >have some kind of insecurity or spyware, something might work
    >differently or 'improperly'..
    >
    >> I have deleted these emails, but the link in Google with my full name
    >> (my real name, that is) etc., and the link of the seller with his name
    >> etc., remains in Google.

    >
    >I don't know what the deletion of emails has to do with anything which
    >has to do with google databasing things it finds on public webpages.
    >
    >> I assume that this will happen to anyone who places a Want It Now post
    >> on eBay, and people should be aware of this.

    >
    >I don't think so unless there's something I haven't discovered yet.

    I'm Andrew Galloway.... I'm first in MSN and second in google
     
    Andrew, Jan 8, 2006
    #15
  16. Guest

    Hi Rich,


    You're right, Google just indexes pages. Therefore eBay, who
    guarantees anonimity when you place a Buy It Now advert, creates a web
    page that subsequently is indexed by Google. So eBay should not create
    that web page, or they should warn you that when you place a Buy It
    Now advert you end up - full name and address - in Google.

    I emailed eBay a week ago to complain, but got only an automated
    response; the same happened to the seller. Then I tried to find an
    email address to complain to Google. And when I couldn't find one, I
    tried this newsgroup.

    Jason



    >>
    >> Hi Mike,
    >>
    >>
    >> You're the only one who takes my problem seriously, thank you!
    >>
    >> Indeed, when you place a Want It Now advert on eBay, it's supposed to
    >> be anonymous. All the emails through My Messages are anonymous. But at
    >> the same time a link is placed in Google with the buyer's and seller's
    >> full names, addresses and postal addresses which, when double-slicked,
    >> show ALL their emails.

    >
    >Actually that's impossible - you can't put a "link in Google". Google just
    >indexes pages on the web - if you find something on Google, it is/was on a
    >web page somewhere.
    >
    >Still, I see why you're annoyed by it.
    >
    >
     
    , Jan 8, 2006
    #16
  17. Steve n Debs Guest

    On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 01:27:14 GMT, wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > I recently placed a "Want It Now" post on Ebay, and about a week ago I
    > discovered to my utter dismay that a link relating to this posting has
    > appeared in Google's search engine. This link shows my full name,
    > address and postal code in the place where I live. Obviously, I don't
    > like this at all and I want the link removed from Google's search
    > engine.
    >
    > I tried to contact eBay, but got only an automated response. I tried
    > to find an email address of Google's to email, but I failed.
    >
    > Does anyone know how I can have this link with my full name etc.
    > removed?
    >
    > Thanks very much,
    >
    > Jason



    Are you using Google Desktop? Because if you are it could be showing you
    whats in your cache
     
    Steve n Debs, Jan 8, 2006
    #17
  18. Guest

    Hi Pete,


    Thanks very much for your valuable piece of info.

    As you can read in my answer to Rich, there is no malicious intent, so
    I'm not sure if Google will help me, but I will certainly have a bash.
    And you're right, I have never sold anything on eBay.

    I don't care that my Buy It Now post is listed in Google, as long as
    they remove my real full name and my full address. As I have mentioned
    before, the same happened to the seller, and I assume it happens to
    anyone who posts a Buy It Nowe advert on eBay. I'm sure that many
    people are not aware of this.

    Thanks again,


    Jason



    On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 18:31:11 +0000, wrote:

    >On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 01:27:14 GMT, wrote:
    >
    >>Does anyone know how I can have this link with my full name etc.
    >>removed?

    >
    >I had a similar problem but my reason for wanting the post removed was
    >different to yours as my name was deliberately placed on search
    >engines by a troll with a grudge. I was libeled and I used this
    >procedure to get google to remove the posts I objected to. I take it
    >you never sold any items on e-bay and your name has been placed there
    >by someone with evil intent so e-mail and follow these
    >instructions which they sent me.
    >
    >
    >
    >Thank you for your reply. In order to process your web search
    >defamation complaint, you must provide a written communication (by fax
    >or regular mail, not by email) that sets forth the items specified
    >below.
    >
    >Please use the following format (including section numbers):
    >
    >1. Identify precisely the Google website where the information above
    >appears (for instance, Google.co.uk). This is required because each
    >website is governed by the specific laws of the country with which it
    >is associated.
    >
    >2. Identify your country or countries of residence and citizenship.
    >
    >3. Identify precisely the information that you claim violates your
    >rights under applicable law (the "Unlawful Material").
    >
    >FOR WEB SEARCH, YOU MUST IDENTIFY EACH SEARCH RESULT THAT DIRECTLY
    >LINKS TO A WEBPAGE THAT ALLEGEDLY CONTAINS UNLAWFUL MATERIAL. This
    >requires you to provide (a) the search query that you used, and (b)
    >the URL for each allegedly unlawful search result.
    >
    >4. Identify in sufficient detail the reason that you believe the
    >information indicated above violates your rights or is illegal under
    >applicable law. For example, "Each of the search result URLs
    >identified above contains child pornography that is not permitted
    >under the laws of the country in which I reside or am a citizen."
    >
    >5. Provide information reasonably sufficient to permit Google to
    >contact you (email address is preferred).
    >
    >6. Provide information sufficient to permit Google to notify the
    >owner/administrator of the webpage that allegedly contains the
    >Unlawful Material (webmaster or domain registrant name and email
    >address).
    >
    >7. Include the following statement: "I have a good faith belief that
    >the information specified above is not permitted by applicable law."
    >
    >8. Include the following statement: "I swear, under penalty of
    >perjury, that the information in this notification is accurate."
    >
    >9. Sign the paper.
    >
    >10. Send the written communication by fax to +1-650-963-3255, Attn:
    >Legal
    >
    >Please note that a copy of each legal notice we receive is sent to a
    >third-party partner for publication and annotation. As such, your
    >letter (with your personal information removed) will be forwarded to
    >Chilling Effects (http://www.chillingeffects.org ). You can see an
    >example of such a publication at
    >http://www.chillingeffects.org/dmca512/notice.cgi?NoticeID=861
    >
    >Regards,
    >The Google Team
    >
    >Please note you may have to ask many other online archive too such as;
    >http://www.ureader.co.uk/
    >http://www.wirelessforums.org
    >http://www.usenethealth.com
    >www.mailgate.org.uk
    >www.broadbandbanter.com
    >www.jamroll.co.uk
    >www.gardenbanter.co.uk
    >
    >I have found these to be much easier to work with than google but
    >google did come across eventually after months of asking. Now you can
    >use the above and may get your problem sorted quicker. I posted for
    >help in uk.legal and received good advice there as well as trolls
    >Good luck,
    >pete
    >
    >--
    >Due to privacy considerations, I will not respond to mail from gmail.com.
    >For more information, please visit www.google-watch.org/gmail.html
    >
     
    , Jan 8, 2006
    #18
  19. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:

    > I don't care that my Buy It Now post is listed in Google,


    Here's an example of a fresh Want It Now ad
    http://wantitnow.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?WantItNowView&adid=5852028286

    The ebay ad shows what is wanted, the USB wifi adapters, and the system
    allows someone to communicate with the buyer, but nothing about the
    buyer is 'exposed' or accessible to being db/ed in google.



    --
    Mike Easter
     
    Mike Easter, Jan 8, 2006
    #19
  20. Rich Wilson Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I recently placed a "Want It Now" post on Ebay, and about a week ago I
    > discovered to my utter dismay that a link relating to this posting has
    > appeared in Google's search engine. This link shows my full name,
    > address and postal code in the place where I live. Obviously, I don't
    > like this at all and I want the link removed from Google's search
    > engine.


    Erm... just searched for "jason woodrun ebay" on Google and couldn't find
    the offending item. Are you SURE it's there?!
     
    Rich Wilson, Jan 8, 2006
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Thomas
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    1,316
    Simon Kellett
    Feb 12, 2005
  2. a salasky

    Google search engine lost

    a salasky, Jul 9, 2005, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    720
    Splibbilla
    Jul 11, 2005
  3. Saqib Ali
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    425
    NeoPhyte_Rep
    Nov 2, 2006
  4. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    781
  5. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    853
Loading...

Share This Page