    I've tried everything and can't seem to get it to clear up. I have a 21"
    Sony Trinitron about 2 years old. All my speakers are a good foot away.

    HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
    SH, Feb 29, 2004

  2. SH

    Drifter Guest

    On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 02:13:10 GMT, "SH" <> wrote:

    >I've tried everything and can't seem to get it to clear up. I have a 21"
    >Sony Trinitron about 2 years old. All my speakers are a good foot away.
    >

    >HELP!!!!!!!!!

    In order...at least as much as I can think of. Stop if any step
    solves your problem.

    Are you using any cable extenders or after market video cables? If so
    try without them or with a different cable. If not go to next step.

    Try removing and reseating the video cable (turn the computer and
    monitor off first).

    Try resetting the monitor to it's default state (you'd have to read
    the manual for that)

    Try removing and re-seating the video card (turn the computer off to
    try that)

    Try running the monitor at a different resolution (and/or a different
    refresh rate.)

    Try updating your video card drivers.

    Try a different video card

    Try a different monitor.

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."
    Drifter, Feb 29, 2004

  3. SH

    mark_digital Guest

    "SH" <> wrote in message
    > I've tried everything and can't seem to get it to clear up. I have a 21"
    > Sony Trinitron about 2 years old. All my speakers are a good foot away.
    >

    > HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

    A soft cloth and some Windex might help.

    mark_digital, Feb 29, 2004
  4. SH

    Patrick L. Guest

    "SH" <> wrote in message
    > I've tried everything and can't seem to get it to clear up. I have a 21"
    > Sony Trinitron about 2 years old. All my speakers are a good foot away.
    >

    > HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

    Better lay off the Jack Daniels.

    Patrick
    Patrick L., Feb 29, 2004
  5. In article <WUb0c.10042$>,
    "SH" <> wrote:

    > I've tried everything and can't seem to get it to clear up. I have a 21"
    > Sony Trinitron about 2 years old. All my speakers are a good foot away.
    >

    > HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

    The voltage dividers for the tube's grid power are going bad. You can
    adjust them yourself with a small plastic screwdriver if you don't mind
    risking electrocution. They're on the high voltage flyback transformer;
    the thing with a red cable going to the tube. The adjustment has to be
    done with the monitor on so don't bump into anything. You'll see two
    plastic screws. One, possibly labled "grid," makes the monitor brighter
    or dimmer - don't change that one! The other is the focus.

    Some computer monitors have secret on-screen calibrations that can
    adjust the focus over a small range. Google for your model number and
    "service mode".

    The monitor will probably be useless in a year or two.
    Kevin McMurtrie, Feb 29, 2004
  6. SH

    Rob Davison Guest

    SH wrote:

    > I've tried everything and can't seem to get it to clear up. I have a 21"
    > Sony Trinitron about 2 years old. All my speakers are a good foot away.
    >

    > HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

    Are there any 'power bricks' (AC adaptors used to convert voltage for
    zip drives, speakers, usb hubs etc. etc.) plugged in near the monitor?

    I have one that causes interference on a monitor when its less than a
    foot away.

    Make sure the display lead from the PC to monitor isn't wrapped around
    a mains power lead, that it isn't anywhere near your speakers and that
    everything is plugged in properly.

    Unplug *everything* except PC and monitor. Or maybe try shifting them
    to another room and see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't, try
    the monitor with another PC if you can (or vice versa).

    Process of elimination.

    Rob.
    Rob Davison, Feb 29, 2004
  7. SH

    Don Guest

    Are you sure the video adapter card is OK? A low-end video card may not
    have the bandwith necessary to support high refresh rates at high
    resolution. Just because the card will *generate* a given mode doesn't mean
    that it will work well. Try the following steps.

    1. Reduce the refresh rate to 60 Hz The monitor may seem to flicker a
    little, but don't worry about it.

    2. If there was no change, the problem is likely in the monitor

    3. If that improved the resolution, then try removing any monitor extender
    cables and play with higher refresh rates again. If that fixes the probem,
    great, otherwise

    3. Replace the videa adapter card with a better one.

    Don

    Don, Feb 29, 2004
  8. SH

    Jim Waggener Guest

    "SH" <> wrote in message
    > I've tried everything and can't seem to get it to clear up. I have a 21"
    > Sony Trinitron about 2 years old. All my speakers are a good foot away.
    >

    > HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

    Try the Degauss button.

    Jim Waggener, Feb 29, 2004
  9. Kevin McMurtrie <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > In article <WUb0c.10042$>,
    > "SH" <> wrote:
    >
    > > I've tried everything and can't seem to get it to clear up. I have a 21"
    > > Sony Trinitron about 2 years old. All my speakers are a good foot away.
    > >

    > > HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

    > The voltage dividers for the tube's grid power are going bad. You can
    > adjust them yourself with a small plastic screwdriver if you don't mind
    > risking electrocution. They're on the high voltage flyback transformer;
    > the thing with a red cable going to the tube. The adjustment has to be
    > done with the monitor on so don't bump into anything. You'll see two
    > plastic screws. One, possibly labled "grid," makes the monitor brighter
    > or dimmer - don't change that one! The other is the focus.
    >
    > Some computer monitors have secret on-screen calibrations that can
    > adjust the focus over a small range. Google for your model number and
    > "service mode".
    >
    > The monitor will probably be useless in a year or two.

    I second Kevin's recommendation.

    -T
    Tripurari Singh, Feb 29, 2004
  10. > > > I've tried everything and can't seem to get it to clear up. I have
    a 21"
    > > > Sony Trinitron about 2 years old. All my speakers are a good foot

    away.

    Assuming there is no focus button, you may need to open the monitor and
    find the internal focus control. I needed to do this on my Dell monitor,
    and it's been great ever since the adjustment.

    ** WARNING **

    There are high voltages inside CRT monitors - so don't use my suggestion
    unless you know what you are doing!!!

    If you have an LCD monitor, then likely you are not driving it at its
    native resolution....

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Feb 29, 2004
  11. You ever see the commercial where the little boy asked his dad what dial up
    was like? Remember what his dad did with the Monitor! I have had similar
    situations with computer monitors.

    Finally found one that seems to be holding up.

    Sorry you are having problems with your monitor. I hope you get them worked
    out.

    I would like to throw one out the window just once it must feel great!

    Gary

    Gary J Bevans, Mar 1, 2004
  12. SH

    e602

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    I know this is two years later, but if anyone else is having trouble with a trinitron monitor becoming blurry, here's a couple tricks. First, unplug the monitor with it on. Next, blow out the insides with an air can. Try this first. Mine would become blurry intermittently and this has fixed it so far.
    e602, Jun 29, 2006
  13. SH

    DennyB53

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    My monitor is very blurry

    :veryprou:

    I want to thank you "Kevin McMurtrie" you have made my day!
    I was checking message boards and googling (my monitor is very blurry)
    Your Answer Was The Very HELP I Needed.......You are A Hero..Couldn't afford to buy a new monitor, and I was just ready to throw this Dell Monitor In The Trash!!!!

    Thank You, Kevin McMurtrie
    DennyB53 & Family

    Your Answer Below:

    DennyB53, Jul 1, 2008
  14. SH

    nevermind

    Joined:
    May 26, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Changing the focus "in the monitor" worked for me too! :)

    Hi there!

    I also wanted to say thank you "Kevin McMurtrie"! You have made my day as well! Even years later your solution is still valid ;-)

    My Dell P992 CRT monitor (7 years old) went also very blurry (after going blurry intermittently) yesterday. I also found the service manual online, which indicated where the focus screws were located (this monitor has 2 focus screws). Adjusting them made it focused again! It was a bit scary to have the monitor on and open at the same time, but using a plastic screwdriver (made out of a plastic fork ;) it went without problems!

    Thanks again! Saves me from throwing away my monitor :)

    Cheers!

    nevermind, May 26, 2009
  15. SH

    Editgrrl

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Thanks for thread - having same issue

    I have the same issue with my Dell. I have 2 Trinitrons. One is working fine, but the other has intermittent blurriness punctuated by a metallic-sounding 'ping' sound. In addition, there are slightly diagonal thin white lines running across the monitor.
    I was getting the pinging sound before without the blurriness, but now the blurriness has been added.
    I"m guessing it's just going bad, soon to be a doorstop?
    I'll work through your suggestions (short of playing inside with a screwdriver - don't do this at home, kids...) and see if anything helps.
    I have a lot of equipment hooked up here. And one of the monitors is hooked up via a shaky adapter and a KVM switch, but I'll have to check the configuration to see which one. It seems to me that with the monitors side by side, if interference was the issue, it would be happening with both?
    Thanks again.

    EDIT - It just made the loudest 'pop' sound I have heard it make. The display moved momentarily, then the blurriness went away.
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
    Editgrrl, Sep 4, 2010