    She does not have a computer so I will have to edit and print so I
    would like one that is pretty true to color. Any help would be
    appreciated.
    jakesdad_69, Jul 27, 2006

  2. jakesdad_69

    ASAAR Guest

    On 26 Jul 2006 20:03:26 -0700, jakesdad_69 wrote:

    > I'm an upper novice at best when it comes to digital cameras. I have
    > an old sony (s75)that I was going to give her, but I think it has too
    > many features, buttons, ect. Mom wants a camera that is easy to use.
    > She does not have a computer so I will have to edit and print so I
    > would like one that is pretty true to color. Any help would be
    > appreciated.

    What you should look for is an Auto only camera that doesn't have
    true manual settings. This can be tricky since some non-manual
    cameras have a "Manual" setting. But these usually provide just a
    very limited number of manual settings, such as exposure
    compensation and white balance, so these are really nothing more
    than simple "Auto" only cameras. Of these, Fuji's A345 and A350 are
    small, simple to use, and use a pair of AA batteries, so there's no
    need to worry about rechargeable batteries and chargers unless your
    Mom gets really interested in photography and starts taking huge
    numbers of pictures. I think that the A345, btw, is sold by WalMart
    as part of an A360 package that includes a case and the additional
    pair of rechargeable batteries and a charger. But the total price
    may be as low as, or lower than the A345 as sold by other stores.
    Many other similar cameras are available from other manufacturers.

    Unlike these Fuji cameras, many of the newer ones are now being
    sold without viewfinders, so the LCD display would have to be used
    to frame the pictures. Before getting one of these you might want
    have your Mom go to a store that will let her try out the camera to
    see if she feels comfortable using one of them.

    You'd probably want to use your computer to at least backup your
    Mom's pictures on CD, but she doesn't need a computer to get prints
    made. There are now many places such as Rite-Aid, CVS, Duane Reade,
    WalMart, etc., that she can go to to get prints made, just as if she
    was using a film camera. She could have the store employee do
    everything for her, or she could put her memory card (or better,
    copies on CD) in a self-service photo machine and do it herself.
    There are also many small (smaller than a toaster) dedicated 4"x6"
    printers that don't need to be hooked up to a computer. Simply put
    the camera's memory card in it, select the images you want to print
    using the built in color display, and print. Image quality is
    excellent, and with some brands, prints should resist fading even
    longer than prints made by a photo lab. Cost per print can be quite
    high with some brands, but several can make prints for a total cost
    of about 25 cents per picture. As an example, the supplies for
    Epson's small printers come in a box that includes 100 sheets of
    4"x6" paper, and a single multicolor ink cartridge that pops into
    the back of the printer and has enough ink to usually print slightly
    more than 100 pictures, and depending on where you buy it, the box
    sells for somewhere in the range of $24 to $30. Or you could keep
    things simple for your Mom and take care of all her printing needs.
    :)
    ASAAR, Jul 27, 2006

  3. jakesdad_69

    k-man Guest

    Most are pretty good. I tend to recommend the Canon P&S's. Most of my
    friends use those and they get prints made at Costco and Wal-Mart and
    the colors are great. I personally loved my Minolta Xg and made a
    beautiful 18X12 with great colors; but that camera wasn't designed to
    be smashed between the ground and my back when I overdid a wheelie on a
    mountain bike while it was in my backpack. :(

    Kevin

    k-man, Jul 27, 2006
  4. jakesdad_69 wrote:
    > I'm an upper novice at best when it comes to digital cameras. I have
    > an old sony (s75)that I was going to give her, but I think it has too
    > many features, buttons, ect. Mom wants a camera that is easy to use.
    > She does not have a computer so I will have to edit and print so I
    > would like one that is pretty true to color. Any help would be
    > appreciated.

    Some recommend Fujifilm FinePix F11. Please check if it is available
    in your country though.

    Some pointers at :
    http://fujicamz.blogspot.com/

    Cheers!
    http://newcamz.blogspot.com
    newcamz.blogspot.com, Jul 27, 2006
  5. jakesdad_69 wrote:
    > I'm an upper novice at best when it comes to digital cameras. I have
    > an old sony (s75)that I was going to give her, but I think it has too
    > many features, buttons, ect. Mom wants a camera that is easy to use.
    > She does not have a computer so I will have to edit and print so I
    > would like one that is pretty true to color. Any help would be
    > appreciated.

    I would like to add one item that is often overlooked when selecting a
    camera.

    Mom, may be a little older now. Her hands and fingers may not be as
    flexible as they once were. Small cameras and most simple digital cameras
    are small, often have small controls that are difficult for some people and
    young children (they are not really people are they?) to handle.

    I would suggest looking for cameras with larger and better spaced
    controls. I would also suggest taking mom out to test drive the camera
    before choosing it to make sure it is comfortable for her.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit
    Joseph Meehan, Jul 27, 2006
  6. jakesdad_69

    minnesotti Guest

    jakesdad_69 wrote:
    > I'm an upper novice at best when it comes to digital cameras. I have
    > an old sony (s75)that I was going to give her, but I think it has too
    > many features, buttons, ect. Mom wants a camera that is easy to use.
    > She does not have a computer so I will have to edit and print so I
    > would like one that is pretty true to color. Any help would be
    > appreciated

    Kodak EasyShare C330/340/663. Specially for the folks like your mum.
    minnesotti, Jul 27, 2006
  7. ? "ASAAR" <> ?????? ??? ??????
> [...]

    > printers that don't need to be hooked up to a computer. Simply put
    > the camera's memory card in it, select the images you want to print
    > using the built in color display, and print. Image quality is
    > excellent, and with some brands, prints should resist fading even
    > longer than prints made by a photo lab. Cost per print can be quite
    > high with some brands, but several can make prints for a total cost
    > of about 25 cents per picture. As an example, the supplies for
    > Epson's small printers come in a box that includes 100 sheets of
    > 4"x6" paper, and a single multicolor ink cartridge that pops into
    > the back of the printer and has enough ink to usually print slightly
    > more than 100 pictures, and depending on where you buy it, the box
    > sells for somewhere in the range of $24 to $30. Or you could keep
    > things simple for your Mom and take care of all her printing needs.

    Yeah, even a state-of-the art canon printer, with 5 ink cartridges (original
    ones:12 euros each, generic:4 euros)
    that can also print on cds, costs only 136 euros.It has cartridges for
    cyan,yellow,magenta,black and another black.Add maybe 15 euros for a pack of
    papers and you are all set:)

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    542nd mechanized infantry batallion

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Jul 27, 2006
  8. jakesdad_69

    m Ransley Guest

    Im sure other cameras have this but on my Sony W5 and H5 when you set
    the dial on "Easy", you are not alowed to make any speed or aperature or
    iso adjustments, on both cameras the daylight shots come out fine in
    full auto but the flash is still manual. The new Fuji F30? is a fast
    sensor that will help, Are her hands steady, mechanical Image
    Stabilisation is offered on quite a few and does work well, but not
    Fuji. As others pointed out size may be an issue, one of the large I.S.
    super zooms might not crowd the camera and make it difficult to use.
    m Ransley, Jul 27, 2006