    Could it be that the modem is an analoge modem and the telephone
    network i try to dial-in to is a digital network?

    Regards

    Lando Chez, Jan 18, 2006

  2. Lando Chez

    doS Guest

    holy shit....

    did you change the dial up number to the new one on the laptop...

    doS, Jan 18, 2006

  3. Lando Chez

    Lando Chez Guest

    Hi

    Yes, I did change the dial up number on the laptop.

    Regards

    ( why do you say holy shit??)

    Lando Chez, Jan 18, 2006
  4. Lando Chez

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news: "Lando
    Chez" <> wrote:

    > Could it be that the modem is an analoge modem and the telephone
    > network i try to dial-in to is a digital network?

    Quite possible; the phone systems in many offices are digital.
    Ask the folks who operate the phone system in your building.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

    Bert Hyman, Jan 18, 2006
  5. Lando Chez wrote:

    > Could it be that the modem is an analoge modem and the telephone
    > network i try to dial-in to is a digital network?

    You have just described the most common reason for your problem.

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 18, 2006
  6. Lando Chez

    Petra Guest

    Lando Chez blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Hi
    >
    > Yes, I did change the dial up number on the laptop.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > ( why do you say holy shit??)

    Because you're a fucking idiot.

    --
    Your mother was an amorphous petrol-pump attendant who talked incessantly
    about cheese in soap factories.

    Petra, Jan 18, 2006
  7. Lando Chez

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty spewed forth:
    > Lando Chez wrote:
    >
    >> Could it be that the modem is an analoge modem and the telephone
    >> network i try to dial-in to is a digital network?

    > You have just described the most common reason for your problem.

    And he'd better pray it didn't fry his analog modem!

    --
    Regardless of Public Law No. 109-162 I hereby affirm that it is
    probably my intent to annoy the reader of this post. Get over it.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 18, 2006
  8. Lando Chez

    JB Guest

    Lando Chez wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I have a modem on my laptop. Since my company moved to another building
    > my modem keeps giving me the same message when i am trying to dial-in.
    > The message is "Modem could not detect a dial tone" . Before the move I
    > did not get this message. I am trying to dial-in to the same machine.
    > The machine is also moved to this new location. The difference is that
    > the number has changed. If I call this number with a normal telephone I
    > hear the well known computer modem sound, but the modem can not make
    > the contact.
    >
    > Could it be that the modem is an analoge modem and the telephone
    > network i try to dial-in to is a digital network?
    >
    > Regards

    Check dialing properties. Do you need to dial a 9 to reach an outside line?

    JB, Jan 18, 2006
  9. Lando Chez

    JB Guest

    JB, Jan 18, 2006
  10. Lando Chez

    Lando Chez Guest

    Hi

    Ho, I don't need to dial a 9 o go outside because I am trying to
    dial-in from inside the building. The thing is that when I try to call
    the number from a normal telephone I hear the modem sound.

    Lando Chez, Jan 18, 2006
  11. Lando Chez

    Lando Chez Guest

    Is it so difficult to answer in a civilized way to peoples questions?
    Not everybody has a large knowlwdge of IT/ICT . I guess you were not
    born with knowledge!!!!!!

    Lando Chez, Jan 18, 2006
  12. Lando Chez

    Lando Chez Guest

    Hi

    I forgot to mention that the people from the telephone company
    connected a analoge telephone line to the modem. Although it could be
    that the network is digital the line to the modem is analoge. Can that
    still be a problem? The modem is analoge. The modem is reacting when I
    call it from a normal phone ( cellulair). I can hear the modem sound.
    Does that mean that the modem is still working and can be dial-in to??

    Regards

    ( i hope serious people will react because I really need help)

    Lando Chez, Jan 18, 2006
  13. Lando Chez wrote:

    > I forgot to mention that the people from the telephone company
    > connected a analoge telephone line to the modem. Although it could be
    > that the network is digital the line to the modem is analoge. Can
    > that still be a problem? The modem is analoge. The modem is reacting
    > when I call it from a normal phone ( cellulair). I can hear the modem
    > sound. Does that mean that the modem is still working and can be
    > dial-in to??

    Dialing your ISP's number from a cellular phone is not a test. Try
    dialing it with a phone plugged into the same jack you are using for the
    computer modem.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 18, 2006
  14. Lando Chez

    Spuds Guest

    On 18 Jan 2006 00:48:14 -0800, "Lando Chez" <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I forgot to mention that the people from the telephone company
    >connected a analoge telephone line to the modem. Although it could be
    >that the network is digital the line to the modem is analoge. Can that
    >still be a problem? The modem is analoge. The modem is reacting when I
    >call it from a normal phone ( cellulair). I can hear the modem sound.
    >Does that mean that the modem is still working and can be dial-in to??
    >
    >Regards
    >
    >( i hope serious people will react because I really need help)
    >
    >>Quite possible; the phone systems in many offices are digital.
    >>Ask the folks who operate the phone system in your building

    Test it yourself. Plug in a spare phone from home. If it works, the line is
    analog.

    Spuds, Jan 18, 2006