My lap top cannot find my printserver on wireless network...

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?Tml0YWo=?=, Jul 16, 2006.

  1. Hello,

    My wireless network consists of 1 linksys router and 1 linksys print server.
    Devices on the network include a desktop, laptop (both running Windows XP
    Pro) and an HP LaserJet 1320 printer. The network worked fine for about 3
    months without a problem - I was able to print from both my desktop and
    laptop. However, after resetting my WEP security settings, I could no
    longer print from my laptop – even though it could still access the internet
    wirelessly.

    Assuming that I may have incorrectly entered the pass key, I have quadruple
    checked my security settings several times on all devices just to make sure
    that that was not the problem. The key is correct but still no success.
    Also, upon Linksys support suggestion, I totally uninstalled my
    antivirus/firewall software. Rebooted. Still no results.

    I can ping the print server from my desktop (with and without the patch
    cable) - but not at all from my laptop. The laptop ping's response is simply
    "request timed out". Strangely enough, I can type the print server’s IP
    address into my laptop's browser and it successfully brings up the print
    server's login window.

    I tried reinstalling the "user" version of the Linksys printer server driver
    from my laptop. On reinstall, the Linksys software could not find the print
    server. The message says "make sure your printer and print server are
    connected and powered on" and "make sure your print server and PC are on the
    same LAN segment." I don’t believe this message applies to my situation –
    everything is connected properly and I only have 1 router.

    I am currently using the default IPs 192.168.1.1 (router), 192.168.1.101
    (print server). These are fixed IP addresses. I have changed the print
    server ip to 192.168.1.200 and 192.168.1.50 based on a previous posting but
    still no success.

    Does anyone have any ideas on how I could narrow down this problem? I think
    it is a networking issue but I do not know where to go from here…

    Thanks!
    =?Utf-8?B?Tml0YWo=?=, Jul 16, 2006

  2. Hi

    Since you can surf the Internet it should not be a core problem of your
    Wireless connection.

    It is a problem that has to do with your printer server.

    Unfortunately you did not provide enough info about what is the device model
    and how the system is connected?

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jul 16, 2006

  3. The print server model is a Linksys Wireless-G WPS54GU2 for USB 2.0.

    The router model is Linksys Wireless-G WRT54G v.5 .

    Right now, the print server communicates with the router wirelessly. I can
    successfully print from my desk top and surf the internet.

    I had tired to connect to the print server wirelessly from my lap top as
    well but the print server can not be found. I tried plugging the print
    server directly into the laptop using a network cable but no go.

    I tried connecting the print server to the router via a network cable to see
    if that would make a difference with the laptop but nothing happened either.

    From the laptop, I can ping all IP addresses except for the print server.

    Please let me know if you need more info...

    Thanking you in advance...

    =?Utf-8?B?Tml0YWo=?=, Jul 17, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Tml0YWo=?=

    DavidT Guest

    I believe you must install the print server on the laptop just like you did
    on the PC...ie install the software while you are connected to the
    printserver with CAT 5 ....

    DavidT, Jul 18, 2006
  5. Just to clarify - I have tried reinstalling the print server driver on the
    lap top using a CAT 5 cable but the lap top still cannot see the print
    server... pinging to that IP results in "Request timed out..."

    Thanks...

    =?Utf-8?B?Tml0YWo=?=, Jul 18, 2006