    modem or router, the speed is restored. this has been really annoying
    me and i was wondering if anyone could help. thank you.

    , Apr 6, 2006

  2. Mara Guest

    On 5 Apr 2006 20:52:15 -0700, "" <>
    wrote:

    >why is my dsl getting slower and slower over time? but when i reset the
    >modem or router, the speed is restored. this has been really annoying
    >me and i was wondering if anyone could help. thank you.

    Do you have something like this?

    http://www.dsldepot.com/item.asp?id=160&desc=excelsus_z_d250sm_dual

    "If you don't, and you're not using wireless, you probably should."

    --
    Don't irritate geeks ... They don't have a life and if you make
    them mad enough they will make *you* their life ... And they

    Mara, Apr 6, 2006

  3. JANA Guest

    Try cleaning up the cache for your browser and email software. Check to see
    if there are any Trojan type software's running in the background, such as
    adwares and etc.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Apr 6, 2006
  4. wrote:

    > why is my dsl getting slower and slower over time? but when i reset the
    > modem or router, the speed is restored. this has been really annoying
    > me and i was wondering if anyone could help. thank you.

    Get some free- or shareware traffic monitor program. If, after a short
    while, when you reconnected, traffic begins to rise without you
    receiving/sending data, you may already be part of a botnet.
    Linux 2.6.14-mm1 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Walter Mautner, Apr 6, 2006
  5. Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 00:42:28 -0400, "JANA" <> wrote:

    >Try cleaning up the cache for your browser and email software. Check to see
    >if there are any Trojan type software's running in the background, such as
    >adwares and etc.

    So.. having a DSL connection which keeps getting slower and slower,
    and if the OP restarts the router, the speed is fine - your suggestion
    is to clear the cache in his browser?

    And what e-mail program do you know of that has a cache?

    You must work for SBC/AT&T DSL Support.

    Evan Platt, Apr 6, 2006
  6. Charles Guest

    On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 07:47:10 +0200, Walter Mautner
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> why is my dsl getting slower and slower over time? but when i reset the
    >> modem or router, the speed is restored. this has been really annoying
    >> me and i was wondering if anyone could help. thank you.

    >Get some free- or shareware traffic monitor program. If, after a short
    >while, when you reconnected, traffic begins to rise without you
    >receiving/sending data, you may already be part of a botnet.

    I did that and it was very helpful.

    My understanding in the UK, is that each Broadband connection is one
    of 50 all using the same feed, so that at busy times the download rate
    dissipates alarmingly.

    Charles, Apr 6, 2006
  7. sharonf Guest

    wrote:
    > why is my dsl getting slower and slower over time? but when i reset the
    > modem or router, the speed is restored. this has been really annoying
    > me and i was wondering if anyone could help. thank you.

    Mine started getting slower recently too. After resetting the modem,
    doing all regular maintenance, checking everything there was to be
    checked I contacted my ISP(I have cable internet). It turns out that
    they are having bandwidth issues and that is what is causing the
    problem. They're still "working on it".

    Sharon

    sharonf, Apr 6, 2006
  8. Charles wrote:

    > On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 07:47:10 +0200, Walter Mautner

    >>Get some free- or shareware traffic monitor program. If, after a short
    >>while, when you reconnected, traffic begins to rise without you
    >>receiving/sending data, you may already be part of a botnet.

    > I did that and it was very helpful.
    >
    > My understanding in the UK, is that each Broadband connection is one
    > of 50 all using the same feed, so that at busy times the download rate
    > dissipates alarmingly.

    That's a well known fact, broadband is "shared medium" unlike phoneline and
    isdn. You have to expect slower downloads at peak times, but that's
    independent of the logon time and -duration. So if you connect at a peak
    hour, "your internet" will appear sluggish from the start, and eventually
    become faster later on.
    The "botnet" was only a worst-case assumption, though.
    Linux 2.6.14-mm1 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Walter Mautner, Apr 6, 2006
  9. X-No-Archive: YES
    sharonf [] has entered into testimony
    44353825$0$24111$-secrets.com

    > wrote:
    >> why is my dsl getting slower and slower over time? but when i reset
    >> the modem or router, the speed is restored. this has been really
    >> annoying me and i was wondering if anyone could help. thank you.
    >>

    > Mine started getting slower recently too. After resetting the modem,
    > doing all regular maintenance, checking everything there was to be
    > checked I contacted my ISP(I have cable internet). It turns out that
    > they are having bandwidth issues and that is what is causing the
    > problem. They're still "working on it".

    irt broadband, they always will be "working on it" - that is just a
    bullshit answer to placate your frustration. The more people using the
    internet at a given time, the slower your connection will be.

    --

    Skepticult® Member# 581-00504-208
    ChadwickStone at Gmail dot com

    Chadwick Stone©, Apr 6, 2006