My Humble Gallery - Critiques Welcome

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by JeffS, Jul 14, 2004.

  1. JeffS

    JeffS Guest

    Hi,
    I finally decided to post a few of what I consider some of my better
    efforts. Being fairly new to the medium, I was a bit hesitant. Anyway, I
    created a small gallery:

    http://www.pbase.com/jkseidel/nature

    I use a Canon 300D with a Canon 75-300mm USM lens for the most part
    (saving for a dedicated macro lens and a 28-135mm). A few are 100%
    crops, rest have been pared down a bit. All have been resized. Most have
    some minimal work done to them in Photoshop Elements (mainly level
    adjustments) and a bit of sharpening. Any comments are welcome and
    appreciated.

    Thank you!

    Jeff

    P.S. I realize these are not up to Sigma standards, so comments from
    that part of the community will be taken as they deserve.

    JeffS, Jul 14, 2004

  2. JeffS

    cc0112453 Guest

    I always keep my eyes squinted when I open stuff on this news group. Some
    of the postings are frightening and very distasteful. Your images were very
    refreshing! I would say that you are on your way. You seem to have the
    basic problems of lighting and composing worked out and have a good eye for
    subject matter. My favorites are "Face" and "Rainbow" You do have a feel
    for seeing the unusual. My only suggestion (and this is not criticism)
    would be that you continue trying to see your subjects in a way that no one
    else does. Taking a beautiful picture of a lion is easy. How can you
    photograph it in a way that no one else has? In a way that would allow
    people to see something about a lion that they may never have seen before.
    Keep up the good work.

    Doug

    cc0112453, Jul 14, 2004

  3. JeffS

    JeffS Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 07:02:13 -0700, "cc0112453"
    <> wrote:

    >My favorites are "Face" and "Rainbow"

    Heh, "Face" is my favorite also. It was a true testament to a phrase I
    read in a nature photography book "Nature holds still for no man."
    Otters are perpetual motion machines unless asleep. It also had an odd
    yellow cast in parts that took me forever to remove and leave the shot
    looking acceptable. Perhaps because I loved the basic shot so much, that
    I spent forever twiddling with it. Finally I went back to the beginning,
    did a few minor adjustments, and it seemed to come out okay.

    >My only suggestion (and this is not criticism)
    >would be that you continue trying to see your subjects in a way that no one
    >else does. Taking a beautiful picture of a lion is easy. How can you
    >photograph it in a way that no one else has? In a way that would allow
    >people to see something about a lion that they may never have seen before.

    Great advice! I try to make the compositions interesting. Either with an
    unusual 'pattern', play of light, or interesting (at least to me)
    contrasts. I like "Pescay" almost as much as "Face" due to the contrasts
    and variations between hard and soft aspects. Thank you for the kind
    words and encouragement. I try to get a little better every time I
    venture out.

    Best Wishes,

    Jeff

    JeffS, Jul 14, 2004
  4. JeffS

    Sabineellen Guest

    > Taking a beautiful picture of a lion is easy. How can you
    >photograph it in a way that no one else has? In a way that would allow
    >people to see something about a lion that they may never have seen before.

    Kurt Cobain is widely quoted for telling that there was a feeling amongst his
    generation that everything that can be said or done had already been said and
    done.

    Sabineellen, Jul 14, 2004
  5. On 14 Jul 2004 15:27:26 GMT, (Sabineellen) wrote:

    >> Taking a beautiful picture of a lion is easy. How can you
    >>photograph it in a way that no one else has? In a way that would allow
    >>people to see something about a lion that they may never have seen before.

    >Kurt Cobain is widely quoted for telling that there was a feeling amongst his
    >generation that everything that can be said or done had already been said and
    >done.

    As I walk around I always have this feeling that there is a great
    photo somewhere around me and I just have no idea where. (I also feel
    that there is an interesting story I have no idea how to tell, but
    that is for a different newsgroup.)

    Sure Kurt said that, Kurt killed himself.

    --
    Matt Silberstein

    Do in order to understand.

    Matt Silberstein, Jul 14, 2004
  6. JeffS

    Mike Mc Guest

    Nice shots Jeff.

    Face and floral01 are my favourites but all the rest are pretty good.

    Keep it up.

    Mike

    Mike Mc, Jul 14, 2004
  7. JeffS

    Sabineellen Guest

    >Sure Kurt said that, Kurt killed himself.

    Regardless, he made his mark in a way that is rarely done. I do really think he
    was the voice of his generation indeed.

    Sabineellen, Jul 14, 2004
  8. JeffS

    Mark M Guest

    "Sabineellen" <> wrote in message
    > > Taking a beautiful picture of a lion is easy. How can you
    > >photograph it in a way that no one else has? In a way that would allow
    > >people to see something about a lion that they may never have seen

    before.

    > Kurt Cobain is widely quoted for telling that there was a feeling amongst

    his
    > generation that everything that can be said or done had already been said

    and
    > done.

    Oh brother.
    You don't really think that his was an original thought, do you???
    That thought has been around since Biblical times at least.
    Kurt Cobain was a failed human being who is falsely and hideously hailed as
    some sort of hero--when in reality, he was just one more lost soul in a pool
    of other fools with a microphone. He blew his head off because the
    so-called answers/insight he "found" and "voiced" were centered on
    foolishness and a pathetic system of beliefs that led to nowhere but
    destruction, misery and death in a pool of his own stupidity.

    I would suggest that you find someone else to admire.

    Mark M, Jul 15, 2004
  9. JeffS

    Bob Williams Guest

    JeffS wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I finally decided to post a few of what I consider some of my better
    > efforts. Being fairly new to the medium, I was a bit hesitant. Anyway, I
    > created a small gallery:
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/jkseidel/nature
    >
    > I use a Canon 300D with a Canon 75-300mm USM lens for the most part
    > (saving for a dedicated macro lens and a 28-135mm). A few are 100%
    > crops, rest have been pared down a bit. All have been resized. Most have
    > some minimal work done to them in Photoshop Elements (mainly level
    > adjustments) and a bit of sharpening. Any comments are welcome and
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you!
    >
    > Jeff
    >
    > P.S. I realize these are not up to Sigma standards, so comments from
    > that part of the community will be taken as they deserve.

    Hey! You've got some really nice shots there.
    Good eye for composition...Interesting subject matter....Sharp
    images...Good color. Thanks for sharing.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Jul 15, 2004