My Hard Drives Never Crash

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Plato, Apr 11, 2004.

  1. Plato

    Plato Guest

    I was just thinking about this today. You'll get a laugh also. I have 3
    computers here at home all circa pentium II/III 400/450. Each one has
    three used hard drives installed in the 2 gig to 8 gig range. Each one
    is connected to two [in series] of those ten dollar surge protectors
    [$3.50 wholesale BTW which is what I paid]. I need the additional
    outlets anyway for all the perifs on each.

    Since 1994 [ten years] I've never had a hard drive go bad and only a
    single one developed a bad sector which still worked perfect but I
    tossed it out anyway. Every modem also runs through the surge protector
    phone sockets. We never turn the systems off during lignting storms no
    matter how bad and even stay on during times when you see the electric
    "browning" out and such.

    Is it luck, or do those ten dollar surge protectors really prolong the
    life of hard drives? I know for a fact they work for modems. In other
    words, most [regular, non-tech] folks dont run their PCs through _any_
    surge protector and it seems those are the same folks I get to replace
    hard drives and modems on to pay my bills.

    Or, is it the fact that since I'm a stickler for properly running
    cooling fans. eg whenever I take any of my pcs apart I always check if
    the power supply fan and additional 3 inch fan I always put in is
    spinning up to speed, if not it gets replaced. Perhaps a combination of
    these two habits extends the life of my hard drives?
    Plato, Apr 11, 2004

  2. "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > I was just thinking about this today. You'll get a laugh also. I have 3
    > computers here at home all circa pentium II/III 400/450. Each one has
    > three used hard drives installed in the 2 gig to 8 gig range. Each one
    > is connected to two [in series] of those ten dollar surge protectors
    > [$3.50 wholesale BTW which is what I paid]. I need the additional
    > outlets anyway for all the perifs on each.
    >
    > Since 1994 [ten years] I've never had a hard drive go bad and only a
    > single one developed a bad sector which still worked perfect but I
    > tossed it out anyway. Every modem also runs through the surge protector
    > phone sockets. We never turn the systems off during lignting storms no
    > matter how bad and even stay on during times when you see the electric
    > "browning" out and such.
    >
    > Is it luck, or do those ten dollar surge protectors really prolong the
    > life of hard drives? I know for a fact they work for modems. In other
    > words, most [regular, non-tech] folks dont run their PCs through _any_
    > surge protector and it seems those are the same folks I get to replace
    > hard drives and modems on to pay my bills.
    >
    > Or, is it the fact that since I'm a stickler for properly running
    > cooling fans. eg whenever I take any of my pcs apart I always check if
    > the power supply fan and additional 3 inch fan I always put in is
    > spinning up to speed, if not it gets replaced. Perhaps a combination of
    > these two habits extends the life of my hard drives?

    I've only had one hard drive fail, a 160 gig Maxtor I bought new one year
    ago, it lasted six months, computer acted weird from day one, then it died.
    New drive, and computer, is working fine. I have two Wal-Mart surge
    Protectors, one plugged into the second, computer plugged into that, plus a
    whole house surge protector.
    The Ancient One, Apr 11, 2004

  3. Plato

    olfart Guest

    olfart, Apr 11, 2004
  4. Plato

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "The Ancient One" <> wrote in

    > I've only had one hard drive fail, a 160 gig Maxtor I bought new one
    > year ago, it lasted six months, computer acted weird from day one,
    > then it died. New drive, and computer, is working fine. I have two
    > Wal-Mart surge Protectors, one plugged into the second, computer
    > plugged into that, plus a whole house surge protector.

    My machines run through a couple of UPSs, one APC and one CyberPower. The
    only problem I've had with hard drives is with Maxtor's 80GB series of
    drives, as I had 3 fail in under 2 years. At that point I said screw
    Maxtor and picked up a WD 120GB SE drive and it's been purring along nicely
    ever since. Otherwise, nope, no hard drive failures for me either.

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    DeMoN LaG, Apr 11, 2004
  5. Plato

    olfart Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > I was just thinking about this today. You'll get a laugh also. I have 3
    > computers here at home all circa pentium II/III 400/450. Each one has
    > three used hard drives installed in the 2 gig to 8 gig range. Each one
    > is connected to two [in series] of those ten dollar surge protectors
    > [$3.50 wholesale BTW which is what I paid]. I need the additional
    > outlets anyway for all the perifs on each.
    >
    > Since 1994 [ten years] I've never had a hard drive go bad and only a
    > single one developed a bad sector which still worked perfect but I
    > tossed it out anyway. Every modem also runs through the surge protector
    > phone sockets. We never turn the systems off during lignting storms no
    > matter how bad and even stay on during times when you see the electric
    > "browning" out and such.
    >
    > Is it luck, or do those ten dollar surge protectors really prolong the
    > life of hard drives? I know for a fact they work for modems. In other
    > words, most [regular, non-tech] folks dont run their PCs through _any_
    > surge protector and it seems those are the same folks I get to replace
    > hard drives and modems on to pay my bills.
    >
    > Or, is it the fact that since I'm a stickler for properly running
    > cooling fans. eg whenever I take any of my pcs apart I always check if
    > the power supply fan and additional 3 inch fan I always put in is
    > spinning up to speed, if not it gets replaced. Perhaps a combination of
    > these two habits extends the life of my hard drives?

    There might be something to it. I have had 2 - 400mhz boxes with original
    4.3gig hard drives since 1999. Have a surge protector in my main fuse panel
    plus a $10.00 protector strip on each. I live in a rural area where power
    line variations are common and lightening storms can be pretty nasty. At
    least 1 system is ON all the time and have never had a HD or Modem failure.
    I also "clean and lube" at least twice a year.
    olfart, Apr 11, 2004
  6. Plato

    Adam Steiner Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > I was just thinking about this today. You'll get a laugh also. I have 3
    > computers here at home all circa pentium II/III 400/450. Each one has
    > three used hard drives installed in the 2 gig to 8 gig range. Each one
    > is connected to two [in series] of those ten dollar surge protectors
    > [$3.50 wholesale BTW which is what I paid]. I need the additional
    > outlets anyway for all the perifs on each.
    >
    > Since 1994 [ten years] I've never had a hard drive go bad and only a
    > single one developed a bad sector which still worked perfect but I
    > tossed it out anyway. Every modem also runs through the surge protector
    > phone sockets. We never turn the systems off during lignting storms no
    > matter how bad and even stay on during times when you see the electric
    > "browning" out and such.
    >
    > Is it luck, or do those ten dollar surge protectors really prolong the
    > life of hard drives? I know for a fact they work for modems. In other
    > words, most [regular, non-tech] folks dont run their PCs through _any_
    > surge protector and it seems those are the same folks I get to replace
    > hard drives and modems on to pay my bills.

    I haven't had a single hard drive of mine die either. This goes from my
    200GB Western Digital SE drive to my 70MB drive on my first 286...

    --Adam
    Adam Steiner, Apr 11, 2004
  7. Plato

    Michael-NC Guest

    I still have a couple old 1.something GB drives that are used every day.
    One's a Conner. The few failures I've had happened right away. One 30GB
    Maxtor that lasted about 2 months and a couple WD drives that were promptly
    replaced by WD. Maxtor did a good job replacing the failed drive as well.

    Michael-NC, Apr 11, 2004
  8. Plato

    Wizard Guest

    You were born with a horse shoe up your ass.

    Wizard, Apr 12, 2004
  9. Plato

    Jeremy Guest

    Plato wrote:

    > Is it luck, or do those ten dollar surge protectors really prolong the
    > life of hard drives?

    With a close hit in a storm, a ten dollar surge protector will not do
    anything worthwhile to stop the surge. The gap in the fusing system is
    too small and rarely has a interrupting insulator switch. The lightening
    has just super heated a strip of air over two thousand feet long and
    possibly for miles, close to the temperatures on the surface of the sun,
    a 1 inch switch is really going to pass unnoticed. It is however, much
    better than nothing for normal line variation.

    JJ
    Jeremy, Apr 12, 2004
  10. Plato

    Thor Guest

    Had no drives fail at all in my machines until last year. A samsung 80GB
    drive went completely tits-up on me then, and I just recently RMA'd a
    Western Digital 80GB JB model (8MB cache) because the drive's motor suddenly
    became louder than the 5 fans in my PC. Decided not to trust it at that
    point. Saw several posts on WD's forum that many others are doing the same.
    Whisper quiet, then one day they start whining like a damn banshee.
    Wondering about WD quality again, these days. Replaced it with a Seagate
    Barracuda 8MB 120GB.

    Thor, Apr 12, 2004
  11. Plato

    Jerry G. Guest

    On my own personal computers, I only had one drive go bad, and that was on
    my first computer, back in about 1983 or so. This was an old Zenith XT 4.77
    mHz machine with two 20 mb drives. After that I have been very lucky. I
    never had any fail since then!

    After that, I never had a drive go bad on me. I would think it is
    mother-luck that was riding with me, since my machines are in use 24/7.
    This is especially since the net came in to existence.

    At some of my work contracts, these clients have many machines, and hard
    drive failures are very rare. There are a few machines with dedicated tasks
    that have been running for over 5 years now, and have never been turned off.
    They are still going very strong.

    Most of the problems I have with machines are made by the users rather than
    by hardware failures. The users love to blame the machines and call them
    all kinds of nasty names. But, hardware failures are rare.

    Where I work, I did recently have several hardware failures on one of the
    machines that is about 6 years old. About 2 years ago, the sound card
    failed. Then last year the CD drive failed. Just last week the mother board
    completely died. This machine is a dual CPU 200 MMX Pro. I found a
    replacement mother board from another machine we had, and it is now up and
    running again. This is our proxy server here where I work. The 2 hard
    disks, and the rest of the machine, is running like a Swiss watch. This
    machine is only used for the router, and for the I/O for the printers, and
    for the internet access.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry G.
    ======

    Jerry G., Apr 12, 2004
  12. Plato

    Plato Guest

    Wizard wrote:

    > You were born with a horse shoe up your ass.

    LOL. My house when I moved in had a real horse shoe tacked up in the
    "lucky" U style "suppossedly" for "good luck". My neighbors even told me
    I "had" to keep it up like that.

    When I had it vinyl sided the workers put it back up in "standard" style
    ie hanging down. At first I panicked which is odd as I'm not one of
    those "dont walk under a ladder" types but I let it ride, and so far, no
    change whatsover in "luck" at all. Everythings been good.
    Plato, Apr 13, 2004
  13. Plato

    Plato Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > Had no drives fail at all in my machines until last year. A samsung 80GB
    > drive went completely tits-up on me then, and I just recently RMA'd a

    I like "firm" women as well. I dated some well endowed women in the past
    and when they layed down their bumber bullets seemed to point in
    opposite directions.
    Plato, Apr 13, 2004
  14. Plato

    Plato Guest

    Adam Steiner wrote:

    > I haven't had a single hard drive of mine die either. This goes from my
    > 200GB Western Digital SE drive to my 70MB drive on my first 286...

    I feel lucky that the first PC I used was a 286 I had to use at work as
    a "hand-me-down".

    It had no extra ram, just the 640K I believe. I learned some good
    lessons about backing up your work when it used to crash and you'd lose
    the Quatro Pro spreadsheet one was
    working on :)
    Plato, Apr 13, 2004
  15. Plato

    Thor Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > Thor wrote:
    > >
    > > Had no drives fail at all in my machines until last year. A samsung 80GB
    > > drive went completely tits-up on me then, and I just recently RMA'd a

    > I like "firm" women as well. I dated some well endowed women in the past
    > and when they layed down their bumber bullets seemed to point in
    > opposite directions.

    That's how you know they are real. But, when they defy gravity, they are
    suspect. :)~
    Thor, Apr 13, 2004
  16. Plato

    Night_Seer Guest

    Thor wrote:
    > "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    >> Thor wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Had no drives fail at all in my machines until last year. A samsung
    >>> 80GB drive went completely tits-up on me then, and I just recently
    >>> RMA'd a

    >> I like "firm" women as well. I dated some well endowed women in the
    >> past and when they layed down their bumber bullets seemed to point in
    >> opposite directions.

    > That's how you know they are real. But, when they defy gravity, they
    > are suspect. :)~

    LOL....so true.

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Apr 13, 2004
  17. Plato

    Adam Steiner Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > Adam Steiner wrote:
    > >
    > > I haven't had a single hard drive of mine die either. This goes from my
    > > 200GB Western Digital SE drive to my 70MB drive on my first 286...

    > I feel lucky that the first PC I used was a 286 I had to use at work as
    > a "hand-me-down".
    >
    > It had no extra ram, just the 640K I believe. I learned some good
    > lessons about backing up your work when it used to crash and you'd lose
    > the Quatro Pro spreadsheet one was
    > working on :)

    LOL, I remember the feeling. Now they have those 'auto-recovery' things
    which help crash your computer to begin with ;)
    Adam Steiner, Apr 14, 2004
  18. Plato

    Michael-NC Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > > Thor wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Had no drives fail at all in my machines until last year. A samsung

    80GB
    > > > drive went completely tits-up on me then, and I just recently RMA'd a

    > > I like "firm" women as well. I dated some well endowed women in the past
    > > and when they layed down their bumber bullets seemed to point in
    > > opposite directions.

    > That's how you know they are real. But, when they defy gravity, they are
    > suspect. :)~

    All the more fun to push them together and reestablish deviance of gravity!
    Michael-NC, Apr 14, 2004