My Hard Drives Keep Dying...why?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by 2812837@gmail.com, Nov 28, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Currently running on an old Gateway 3100 233MHz PII these 2 drives:
    Maxtor 5T060H6 [Hard drive] (61.49 GB) SAMSUNG SP1604N [Hard drive]
    (160.04 GB)

    They were on an ASUS A7V133 Athlon TBird 1GHz which is (was) my main
    computer.

    MAXTOR was the master and it started going first so I removed it and
    made the SAMSUNG single, then it too stared going nuts.

    On the ASUS MB they show up in the BIOS with garbled text where it is
    supposed to show their name.

    Or sometimes they show up correctly. Sometimes they will boot other
    times
    they will hang right after the PCI device scan; or they will NOT be
    detected.

    Both the MAXTOR and the SAMSUNG FAILED the POWERMAX tests
    when running on the ASUS MB.

    They both pass the POWERMAX tests (multiple times) when run on old
    Gateway and seem to be running fine now except the SAMSUNG only shows
    it has 149GB where it should be 160GB. It used to actually display that
    it had 158GB.

    They have both been formatted and had OS reinstalled and scanned for
    virus.

    I had two other drives that I tested from another computer (before I
    suspected the ASUS was the problem, not the drives) and they died while
    on that ASUS MB would not run on the other computer anymore either.

    Would this be a power supply problem since the drives are being
    damaged?

    What would you do in this case?

    , Nov 28, 2005

  2. Rosco Guest

    cried out

    > Currently running on an old Gateway 3100 233MHz PII these 2
    > drives: Maxtor 5T060H6 [Hard drive] (61.49 GB) SAMSUNG SP1604N
    > [Hard drive] (160.04 GB)
    >
    > They were on an ASUS A7V133 Athlon TBird 1GHz which is (was) my
    > main computer.
    >
    > MAXTOR was the master and it started going first so I removed it
    > and made the SAMSUNG single, then it too stared going nuts.
    >
    > On the ASUS MB they show up in the BIOS with garbled text where it
    > is supposed to show their name.
    >
    > Or sometimes they show up correctly. Sometimes they will boot
    > other times
    > they will hang right after the PCI device scan; or they will NOT
    > be detected.
    >

    > Both the MAXTOR and the SAMSUNG FAILED the POWERMAX tests
    > when running on the ASUS MB.
    >
    > They both pass the POWERMAX tests (multiple times) when run on old
    > Gateway and seem to be running fine now except the SAMSUNG only
    > shows it has 149GB where it should be 160GB. It used to actually
    > display that it had 158GB.
    >
    > They have both been formatted and had OS reinstalled and scanned
    > for virus.
    >
    > I had two other drives that I tested from another computer (before
    > I suspected the ASUS was the problem, not the drives) and they
    > died while on that ASUS MB would not run on the other computer
    > anymore either.
    >
    > Would this be a power supply problem since the drives are being
    > damaged?
    >

    > What would you do in this case?

    Just an idea, but I ruined I think five hard drives before I figured
    out that since I lived in a rual area where power was unreliable
    that a UPS ( Uninteruptible Power Suppply (Battery Backup)) was
    necessary. I got one pretty cheap from wal-mart for about 45.00.
    Haven't had any drives go bad on me since, that was four years ago.

    Rosco, Nov 28, 2005

  3. Dan Evans Guest

    <> wrote in message

    8>< Snip stuff about dodgy hard drives

    > What would you do in this case?

    Sounds like dodgy power. Check/replace the PSU and get a either voltage
    regulator power strip or preferably a UPS.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Nov 28, 2005
  4. , wrote in message
    :
    <snip>

    Mechanical or electronic "Dying"?

    --
    Marsey dotes
    And dosey dotes

    Mares eat oats
    And does eat oats,
    And little lambs eat ivy.
    A Kid will eat ivy too,
    Wouldn't you?

    Gloria Vixentart, Nov 28, 2005
  5. Guest

    Hard to tell they just stop working; some have made unusual mechanical
    noises though. I don't remember if the ones I have thrown out were
    actually still spinning or not but they would no longer stay running or
    start at all.

    , Nov 28, 2005
    :

    http://grc.com/spinrite.htm

    --
    Marsey dotes
    And dosey dotes

    Mares eat oats
    And does eat oats,
    And little lambs eat ivy.
    A Kid will eat ivy too,
    Wouldn't you?

    Gloria Vixentart, Nov 28, 2005
  7. Guest

    HEY after throwing out two (probably good hard drives ) and almost
    throwing out the whole computer I finally fixed the problem.

    It was NOT the drives.

    It was not the power supply or the controllers.

    Turns out it was because the BIOS was corrupted.

    Flashed the BIOS with the same version and everything works again.

    I guess there is a lesson to be learned here but I'll probably forget
    it anyway....

    , Dec 2, 2005

  9. , wrote in message
    :
    > HEY after throwing out two (probably good hard drives ) and almost
    > throwing out the whole computer I finally fixed the problem.
    >

    > It was NOT the drives.
    >

    > It was not the power supply or the controllers.
    >
    > Turns out it was because the BIOS was corrupted.
    >
    > Flashed the BIOS with the same version and everything works again.
    >
    > I guess there is a lesson to be learned here but I'll probably forget
    > it anyway....

    I'm not sure I would put money on 'just anyone' thinking of that most
    unlikely solution, but cool. Good for you!!

    --
    Marsey dotes
    And dosey dotes

    Mares eat oats