    there any thoughts on this?

    Thanks,
    Chuck
    chuck, Nov 6, 2004

  2. chuck

    Shel-hed Guest

    Deskstars are also known as Deathstars.
    Back up your data.
    Search google using the model number of the drive for better info.

    On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 23:54:59 -0600, chuck <> wrote in
    24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    Shel-hed, Nov 6, 2004

  3. chuck

    trout Guest

    chuck wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I have an ibm deskstar 80gig drive. I have been
    > reading a bit and realize ibm drives are crap, but i am
    > wondering if my drive is dieing. I recorded some of
    > the beeps here
    > http://www.orderbuttons.com/files/beeps.mp3
    >
    > i have noticed that if i want to access something off
    > the drive, there will be a pause sometimes in say a
    > folder opening, I will hear the beep and then
    > the file, folder will open.
    >
    > I am just gonna get a new drive incase but are
    > there any thoughts on this?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Chuck

    Wow. Google searches turn up mainly hate-mail about these things.
    So, it seems that the BIOS for these are AMI, and I swiped this post
    from another newsgroup. I *think* it pertains to your model....
    (source: http://tinyurl.com/3mclx)

    [paste]

    AMI
    Beep(s) Failure
    1 short DRAM refresh
    2 short Parity circuit
    3 short Base 64K RAM
    4 short System timer
    5 short Processor
    6 short Keyboard controller Gate A20 error
    7 short Virtual mode exception error
    8 short Display memory R/W test
    9 short ROM BIOS checksum
    1 long, 3 short Non-fatal--Conventional/extended memory
    1 long, 8 short Non-fatal--Display/retrace test

    This was taken from: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.* Frequently Asked
    Questions (FAQ) Part 4/5

    [end paste]
    --
    "And if I'm wrong, we'll both know quite shortly."
    trout, Nov 6, 2004
  4. chuck wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I have an ibm deskstar 80gig drive. I have been
    > reading a bit and realize ibm drives are crap, but i am
    > wondering if my drive is dieing. I recorded some of
    > the beeps here
    > http://www.orderbuttons.com/files/beeps.mp3

    Ah yes, that really sounds familiar. From 3 deathstar drives I used at home,
    2 have died that way (30 ... 40 GB) after quite a short lifespan, and the
    last one a few days ago.
    The good news is, most of the times they don't die suddenly (like one 60GB
    maxtor did on me), so you can still make your backup.
    Take precaution:
    - NOT stress that drive anymore if you want to preserve your data.
    - HURRY buy a new one (and take care of bios limitations if it's a older
    computer and the drive must be bootable)
    - place the new drive inside your box, maybe temporarily disconnect one of
    your cd drives, but keep one
    - take care of correct jumper settings for that purpose, and - when using
    the "80wire" cables and udma66/100/133 - that the master drive HAS to sit
    at the opposite end of the ide cable, NOT in the middle. Actually, my box
    has harddrives as slaves, and works fine.
    - Use a ghost disk or drive image, or a knoppix cd to "clone" the drive.
    That way it's accessed in a straight way without much head moving back and
    forth, with a good chance to complete.
    - if ghost complains and stalls, there are some commandline switches to
    overcome bad sectors, use /help to discover.

    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.8reiser4pkt [LinuxCounter#295241]
    Walter Mautner, Nov 6, 2004
  5. chuck

    Silly Billy Guest

    I had a lot of trouble with these drives. I had about 6 of them replaced in
    less than a two year period. The IBM Hard Drive division was bought over by
    Hitachi some time ago. Here is the link to download the Drive Fitness Test
    software which when run will tell you if the drive is faulty. It will give
    you the serial number and model number etc. If the drive is faulty it will
    give you an error code which you need to send to get a returns number to
    have the drive replaced. Get a backup of your drive as soon as possible.
    There used to be a 3 year warranty on the IBM drives but then they changed
    it at some stage to 1 year. When you run the software take a note of the
    serial and model numbers and error code if any. When you go to their site
    and fill out the details they will tell you if the drive is still under
    warranty or not.

    http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

    Silly Billy, Nov 6, 2004