    344th BG 494th BS
    Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

    ArtKramr, Jun 4, 2004

  2. ArtKramr

    mark mandel Guest

    "ArtKramr" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Should I add another hard disk before my C drive crashes or just get a new
    > computer?

    Backup everything of value first, get the new drive, then transfer the
    "image" to that drive.

    mark mandel, Jun 4, 2004

  3. ArtKramr

    Captain Ron Guest

    One xtreem to another... It really depends on how you use the machine. I
    hate to add new fast equipment to old systems, it is just a waste of money.
    But if the machine is a 1400 amd and you use if for word processing, heck
    then the machine is fine, replace the drive. If you use it for gaming,
    replace the system.

    Captain Ron, Jun 4, 2004
  4. ArtKramr

    ArtKramr Guest

    >Subject: Re: My hard disk is getting very noisy
    >From: "Captain Ron"
    >Date: 6/4/04 9:13 AM Pacific Daylight Time
    >
    >One xtreem to another... It really depends on how you use the machine. I
    >hate to add new fast equipment to old systems, it is just a waste of money.
    >But if the machine is a 1400 amd and you use if for word processing, heck
    >then the machine is fine, replace the drive. If you use it for gaming,
    >replace the system.

    It's a Dell 400 Dimension and I use it for photo graphics and e-mail. The
    problem is that a new hard disk will cost me about $200 bucks., For $600 bucks
    I can get a new computer that does 10 times as much. (sigh)

    ArtKramr, Jun 4, 2004
  5. ArtKramr

    ArtKramr Guest

    >Subject: Re: My hard disk is getting very noisy
    >From: "mark mandel"
    >Date: 6/4/04 8:51 AM Pacific Daylight Time
    >

    >"ArtKramr" <> wrote in message
    >> Should I add another hard disk before my C drive crashes or just get a new
    >> computer?

    >Backup everything of value first, get the new drive, then transfer the
    >"image" to that drive.

    I have a 5 year old Dell Dimension 400. I think the cost of a new drive will
    exceed the value of the computer. I can get a new Dell that does 10 times as
    much for $600.(sigh)

    ArtKramr, Jun 4, 2004
  6. ArtKramr

    Captain Ron Guest

    Wow, $200 for a hard drive! Now that is outragous, I just bought a 120 GB
    Maxtor for $80. For phot editing I would build a new machine and sell the
    existing machine. I use photoshop 7.0 and I know it is a power hungry hog.

    Good luck

    Captain Ron, Jun 4, 2004
  7. ArtKramr

    Mark Mandell Guest

    "ArtKramr" <> wrote in message
    > >Subject: Re: My hard disk is getting very noisy
    > >From: "Captain Ron"
    > >Date: 6/4/04 9:13 AM Pacific Daylight Time
    > >
    > >One xtreem to another... It really depends on how you use the machine. I
    > >hate to add new fast equipment to old systems, it is just a waste of

    money.
    > >But if the machine is a 1400 amd and you use if for word processing, heck
    > >then the machine is fine, replace the drive. If you use it for gaming,
    > >replace the system.

    > It's a Dell 400 Dimension and I use it for photo graphics and e-mail. The
    > problem is that a new hard disk will cost me about $200 bucks., For $600

    bucks
    > I can get a new computer that does 10 times as much. (sigh)

    You should be able to get a drive for less $$$$. Of course it depends on
    what size you have in mind as well.

    Mark

    Mark Mandell, Jun 4, 2004
  8. ArtKramr

    Jerry G. Guest

    You can find a hard disk for about $80 or so that would work in your
    machine. Go around to the local computer shops.

    --

    Jerry G.
    =====

    Jerry G., Jun 5, 2004
  9. ArtKramr

    ArtKramr Guest

    >Subject: Re: My hard disk is getting very noisy
    >From: "Jerry G."
    >Date: 6/4/04 6:35 PM Pacific Daylight Time
    >
    >You can find a hard disk for about $80 or so that would work in your
    >machine. Go around to the local computer shops.

    How wilI know which ones will fit my machine.?

    ArtKramr, Jun 5, 2004
  10. ArtKramr

    ArtKramr Guest

    >Subject: Re: My hard disk is getting very noisy
    >From: "Mark Mandell"
    >Date: 6/4/04 1:13 PM Pacific

    >You should be able to get a drive for less $$$$. Of course it depends on
    >what size you have in mind as well.
    >
    >Mark

    How will I know which drives will fit my machine? Should I go to Fry's or Best
    Buy? Do those guys know?.

    ArtKramr, Jun 5, 2004
  11. ArtKramr

    Mark Mandell Guest

    "ArtKramr" <> wrote in message
    > >Subject: Re: My hard disk is getting very noisy
    > >From: "Mark Mandell"
    > >Date: 6/4/04 1:13 PM Pacific

    > >You should be able to get a drive for less $$$$. Of course it depends

    on
    > >what size you have in mind as well.
    > >
    > >Mark

    > How will I know which drives will fit my machine? Should I go to Fry's or

    Best
    > Buy? Do those guys know?.

    Art....

    Do you have Computer Expo shows in your area? If so, check out the various
    vendors and you might find someone who's got good prices for the drives. I
    did at a local show last year and wound up getting more stuff from there at
    their store which is about twenty miles from me.

    Mark

    Mark Mandell, Jun 5, 2004
  12. ArtKramr

    vince Guest

    All hard drives made in the last 5 years will "fit" you computer. You don't
    need to go to Best Buy to get a hard drive, go eother to newegg.com to buy
    one or search for the cheapest prices on pricewatch.com. The only normal
    7200rpm hard drove I know that costs $200 would be a 250gb drive.

    vince, Jun 5, 2004
  13. ArtKramr

    ArtKramr Guest

    >ubject: Re: My hard disk is getting very noisy
    >From: "vince"
    >Date: 6/4/04 8:22 PM Pacific Daylight Time
    >
    >All hard drives made in the last 5 years will "fit" you computer. You don't
    >need to go to Best Buy to get a hard drive, go eother to newegg.com to buy
    >one or search for the cheapest prices on pricewatch.com.

    Thanks. I'll go to new Egg. Once it is installed how do I get the data from the
    C drive to the new E drive? Can I use a DOS command like copy C:\ E:\?

    ArtKramr, Jun 5, 2004
  14. ArtKramr

    Jerry G. Guest

    If you want to make things simple, take your machine to your local computer
    dealer. Tell him to change the drive for you. In about 1 minute it will be
    physically installed. You can have a 40 or 60 Gig for about $60 to $80 US
    these days.

    --

    Jerry G.
    =====

    Jerry G., Jun 5, 2004
  15. ArtKramr

    Jerry G. Guest

    When you bring the machine to the dealer, ask him to do an image from the
    old drive to the new one. Dealers are equipped to do this all the time for
    their clients. They may charge a few dollars for the time, but it is worth
    it for the aggravation you will have in doing it yourself.

    This is easy to do, but going by the way you are asking the question, I
    would suggest you let someone who is experienced do this for you. In the
    lifetime of the machine, you may never have to do this again.

    If later on you buy a new machine, you can network the old and new one
    together. Then you can use the old one as a file server, and data file
    backup for the new one. This way, you don't have to waste the old machine.
    With this in mind, you can now put a large hard disk in the machine you
    have, if it will support it.

    --

    Jerry G.
    =====

    Jerry G., Jun 5, 2004
  16. ArtKramr

    ArtKramr Guest

    >Subject: Re: My hard disk is getting very noisy
    >From: "Jerry G."
    >Date: 6/5/04 2:26 AM Pacific Daylight Time
    >
    >When you bring the machine to the dealer, ask him to do an image from the
    >old drive to the new one. Dealers are equipped to do this all the time for
    >their clients. They may charge a few dollars for the time, but it is worth
    >it for the aggravation you will have in doing it yourself.
    >
    >This is easy to do, but going by the way you are asking the question, I
    >would suggest you let someone who is experienced do this for you. In the
    >lifetime of the machine, you may never have to do this again.
    >
    >If later on you buy a new machine, you can network the old and new one
    >together. Then you can use the old one as a file server, and data file
    >backup for the new one. This way, you don't have to waste the old machine.
    >With this in mind, you can now put a large hard disk in the machine you
    >have, if it will support it.
    >
    >--
    >
    >Jerry G.
    >=====
    >

    >"ArtKramr" <> wrote in message
    >>ubject: Re: My hard disk is getting very noisy
    >>From: "vince"
    >>Date: 6/4/04 8:22 PM Pacific Daylight Time
    >>
    >>All hard drives made in the last 5 years will "fit" you computer. You don't
    >>need to go to Best Buy to get a hard drive, go eother to newegg.com to buy
    >>one or search for the cheapest prices on pricewatch.com.

    >Thanks. I'll go to new Egg. Once it is installed how do I get the data from
    >the
    >C drive to the new E drive? Can I use a DOS command like copy C:\ E:\?
    >

    >Arthur Kramer
    >344th BG 494th BS
    > England, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany
    >Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    >http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

    The dealer route sounds good. Thanks.

    ArtKramr, Jun 6, 2004
  17. ArtKramr

    Wiz Guest

    A bicycle would be better, in your case.

    Wiz, Jun 7, 2004