    I know the game has a few glitches, like slow load times between levels and
    the odd graphic glitch, but I am a HL fan.
    Well thats my 2 cents worth, time to play the game.

    Bryan, Nov 24, 2004

  2. Bryan

    Adam Cameron Guest

    > I know the game has a few glitches, like slow load times between levels and
    > the odd graphic glitch, but I am a HL fan.
    > Well thats my 2 cents worth, time to play the game.

    Absolutely. The *game* itself is pretty darn good: well done Vavle on that
    count. Still not sure it's better than its predecessor, but it's still
    pretty good.

    I'm on my second time round already. It's not often I finish a game so
    quickly (that's through playing it a lot, not through it being a short
    game, or be being any good), and then commence playing again from the
    beginning immediately afterwards.

    Adam

    Adam Cameron, Nov 24, 2004

  3. Bryan

    JedMeister Guest

    "Adam Cameron" <> wrote in message
    >> I know the game has a few glitches, like slow load times between levels
    >> and
    >> the odd graphic glitch, but I am a HL fan.
    >> Well thats my 2 cents worth, time to play the game.

    > Absolutely. The *game* itself is pretty darn good: well done Vavle on
    > that
    > count. Still not sure it's better than its predecessor, but it's still
    > pretty good.
    >
    > I'm on my second time round already. It's not often I finish a game so
    > quickly (that's through playing it a lot, not through it being a short
    > game, or be being any good), and then commence playing again from the
    > beginning i mmediatelyafterwards.
    >
    > Adam

    But the gameplay is the same old stuff. Flashier graphics/sound/physics
    engine thats all. I found it a little boring, and there are annoying breaks
    in the game - play for 2 or 3 minutes, wait 30 seconds for next bit to
    load.....and so on....

    FPS was original 10 years ago - now it's a little old in the tooth. Whats
    gonna be the next big thing?

    JedMeister, Nov 24, 2004
  4. Bryan

    cowboyz Guest

    JedMeister wrote:
    > "Adam Cameron" <> wrote in message
    >>> I know the game has a few glitches, like slow load times between
    >>> levels and
    >>> the odd graphic glitch, but I am a HL fan.
    >>> Well thats my 2 cents worth, time to play the game.

    >> Absolutely. The *game* itself is pretty darn good: well done Vavle
    >> on that
    >> count. Still not sure it's better than its predecessor, but it's
    >> still pretty good.
    >>
    >> I'm on my second time round already. It's not often I finish a game
    >> so quickly (that's through playing it a lot, not through it being a
    >> short game, or be being any good), and then commence playing again
    >> from the beginning i mmediatelyafterwards.
    >>
    >> Adam

    > But the gameplay is the same old stuff. Flashier
    > graphics/sound/physics engine thats all. I found it a little boring,
    > and there are annoying breaks in the game - play for 2 or 3 minutes,
    > wait 30 seconds for next bit to load.....and so on....
    >
    > FPS was original 10 years ago - now it's a little old in the tooth.
    > Whats gonna be the next big thing?

    There is not alot you can do to a FPS apart from the story. I got sick of
    Far Cry because the story just didn't gel.
    What I really lkie about HL2 is that it doesn't treat you like an idiot. If
    you can't work out where to go nothing comes up and tells you. You just
    have to keep working it out. I've been stuck a couple of times and stuck
    now in the nova project building but when you work it out its like - my god
    that was obvious!!
    They play on the physics engine alot with the puzzles that come up. I would
    have liked to see more puzzles but overall it is well and clear ahead as
    being the best game I have ever played. (close second being beyond good and
    evil and third would be oni.)

    cowboyz, Nov 24, 2004
  5. Bryan

    Adam Cameron Guest

    > FPS was original 10 years ago - now it's a little old in the tooth.

    True. I like the ones like Deus Ex and System Shock that bring a heavy
    story line and a bit of (basic) role playing to the mix. Not full-on "I'm
    a Battle Elf! I have a +5 Badger of Sodomy!", but at least gives the
    player a chance to shape their avatar in the way they like.

    I also like the Call of Duty type WW2 "simulations". Get shot: die. Kind
    of keeps you on your toes (or crouching being walls, at least.

    On the other hand I always found those multiplayer games like Counterstrike
    and BF1942 to be mind-numbingly tedious.

    One thing I dislike about the likes of HL and Doom, now, is that I find it
    quite weird to just be able to charge about the place taking hits
    right-left-and-centre, and equally find myself thinking "I just shot you in
    the *head*... why are you not dead?" I don't think it should take 30-odd
    rounds from a machine gun to knock a person down. ONE ot TWO should do the
    trick.

    > Whats gonna be the next big thing?

    Now that I know SystemShock 2 *will* work on Windows XP, I'll probably go
    back to that.

    But I know that's not what you meant. I'm quite sick of FPS games, those
    C&C-type games (WarCraft, etc), Baldur's Gate-type RPGs. And never had much
    time for car-racing or flying planes about the place, or strategy games
    like Civ. not sure what else that leaves.

    Reading books instead? ;-)

    Adam

    Adam Cameron, Nov 25, 2004
  6. Bryan

    cowboyz Guest

    Adam Cameron wrote:
    >> FPS was original 10 years ago - now it's a little old in the tooth.

    > True. I like the ones like Deus Ex and System Shock that bring a
    > heavy story line and a bit of (basic) role playing to the mix. Not
    > full-on "I'm a Battle Elf! I have a +5 Badger of Sodomy!", but at
    > least gives the player a chance to shape their avatar in the way they
    > like.
    >
    > I also like the Call of Duty type WW2 "simulations". Get shot: die.
    > Kind of keeps you on your toes (or crouching being walls, at least.
    >
    > On the other hand I always found those multiplayer games like
    > Counterstrike and BF1942 to be mind-numbingly tedious.
    >
    > One thing I dislike about the likes of HL and Doom, now, is that I
    > find it quite weird to just be able to charge about the place taking
    > hits right-left-and-centre, and equally find myself thinking "I just
    > shot you in the *head*... why are you not dead?" I don't think it
    > should take 30-odd rounds from a machine gun to knock a person down.
    > ONE ot TWO should do the trick.
    >

    >> Whats gonna be the next big thing?

    > Now that I know SystemShock 2 *will* work on Windows XP, I'll
    > probably go back to that.
    >
    > But I know that's not what you meant. I'm quite sick of FPS games,
    > those C&C-type games (WarCraft, etc), Baldur's Gate-type RPGs. And
    > never had much time for car-racing or flying planes about the place,
    > or strategy games like Civ. not sure what else that leaves.
    >
    > Reading books instead? ;-)

    Have you played Metal Gear Solid? Not even sure if it is out on PC but I
    know MGS2 is. Kind in the vein of Splinter Cell but much much better story.
    Many do complain about the ammount of cut scenes Vs actual gameplay but it
    is like watching a movie and playing every now and then , rather than a
    game.

    cowboyz, Nov 25, 2004
  7. JedMeister wrote:
    > But the gameplay is the same old stuff. Flashier graphics/sound/physics
    > engine thats all.

    and the Ferrari F1 car is just a flashier version of the Model T Ford...
    whats your point?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 25, 2004
  8. Bryan

    TomV Guest

    On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 21:21:26 +0000 (UTC), Bryan
    <> wrote:

    >Haveing to wait 24 hours before I was able to get authenticated on the
    >steam server after I had installed the game was damm frustrating. How ever
    >once game play got under way I was most impressed. The graphics are great
    >and the water is brilliant. I was impressed by the water in Far Cry, but I
    >think the water in HL2 is even better. The variety of vehicles and things
    >you get to do are also great. I find HL2 is like a good book. Its really
    >hard to leave it alone. The sound of the v8 engine in the dune buggy is so
    >realistic I found my self stopping occasionally just to listen to its
    >throaty idle.
    >I know the game has a few glitches, like slow load times between levels and
    >the odd graphic glitch, but I am a HL fan.
    >Well thats my 2 cents worth, time to play the game.

    Hehe I'm just up to teh Duen Buggy and loving it.

    I found Steam brilliant. Now on TComs 2 Mps ADSL and dowenload was
    nice and fast. I was playing within 3 hours of entering my credit card
    details, for $20 less than going and buying the CD. very cool

    ....tom

    TomV, Nov 25, 2004
  9. Bryan

    JohnO Guest

    "TomV" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 21:21:26 +0000 (UTC), Bryan
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Haveing to wait 24 hours before I was able to get authenticated on the
    > >steam server after I had installed the game was damm frustrating. How

    ever
    > >once game play got under way I was most impressed. The graphics are great
    > >and the water is brilliant. I was impressed by the water in Far Cry, but

    > >think the water in HL2 is even better. The variety of vehicles and things
    > >you get to do are also great. I find HL2 is like a good book. Its really
    > >hard to leave it alone. The sound of the v8 engine in the dune buggy is

    so
    > >realistic I found my self stopping occasionally just to listen to its
    > >throaty idle.
    > >I know the game has a few glitches, like slow load times between levels

    and
    > >the odd graphic glitch, but I am a HL fan.
    > >Well thats my 2 cents worth, time to play the game.

    > Hehe I'm just up to teh Duen Buggy and loving it.
    >
    > I found Steam brilliant. Now on TComs 2 Mps ADSL and dowenload was
    > nice and fast. I was playing within 3 hours of entering my credit card
    > details, for $20 less than going and buying the CD. very cool
    >
    > ...tom

    What was the size of the download?

    JohnO, Nov 25, 2004
  10. Bryan

    G. Force Guest

    Adam Cameron wrote:
    > One thing I dislike about the likes of HL and Doom, now, is that I find it
    > quite weird to just be able to charge about the place taking hits
    > right-left-and-centre, and equally find myself thinking "I just shot you in
    > the *head*... why are you not dead?" I don't think it should take 30-odd
    > rounds from a machine gun to knock a person down. ONE ot TWO should do the
    > trick.

    Sounds like you need to play the Rainbow Six games.

    G. Force, Nov 25, 2004
  11. Bryan

    TomV Guest

    On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 14:20:04 +1300, "JohnO" <> wrote:

    >> I found Steam brilliant. Now on TComs 2 Mps ADSL and dowenload was
    >> nice and fast. I was playing within 3 hours of entering my credit card
    >> details, for $20 less than going and buying the CD. very cool
    >>
    >> ...tom

    >What was the size of the download?

    not 100% sure as pretty sure there is some heavy compression. I
    rebooted just before downloading HL 2 days ago and I've dloaded 810
    meg since. The HL2 bronze package has been my only major download in
    that time.

    HL was playable after 53% of content had been downloaded. It finished
    in the background while I played which I thought was pretty cool.

    Add in CS Source which dloads afterwards and I am guessing maybe 250
    meg of download before playing

    ....tom

    TomV, Nov 25, 2004
  12. Bryan

    Roger_Nickel Guest

    You can always head on over to http//www.chess.net for a nice game of chess.

    Roger_Nickel, Nov 25, 2004
  13. It seems like Thu, 25 Nov 2004 13:30:42 +1300 was when Adam Cameron
    <> said Blah blah blah...

    >But I know that's not what you meant. I'm quite sick of FPS games, those
    >C&C-type games (WarCraft, etc), Baldur's Gate-type RPGs. And never had much
    >time for car-racing or flying planes about the place, or strategy games
    >like Civ. not sure what else that leaves.

    MMORPGs?

    I'm looking forward to the Matrix Online.
    --
    Regards,
    Waylon Kenning.

    1st Year B.I.T. WelTec