    Whenever my old fridge cuts out my internet stops dead for about 20s.
    My PC is on another circuit and powered through a fast surge protector
    with RF filtering. What else can I do about this?

    GraB, Apr 27, 2005

  2. GraB

    Shane Guest

    On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 03:18:15 +1200, GraB wrote:

    > Whenever my old fridge cuts out my internet stops dead for about 20s.
    > My PC is on another circuit and powered through a fast surge protector
    > with RF filtering. What else can I do about this?

    drink all the beer and have a lan

    Shane, Apr 27, 2005

  3. GraB

    XPD Guest

    "GraB" <> wrote in message
    > Whenever my old fridge cuts out my internet stops dead for about 20s.
    > My PC is on another circuit and powered through a fast surge protector
    > with RF filtering. What else can I do about this?

    Is your phone line running near the fridge ? Is so then bingo...theres your
    answer. Move the fridge :)

    XPD, Apr 27, 2005
  4. GraB

    steve Guest

    GraB wrote:

    > Whenever my old fridge cuts out my internet stops dead for about 20s.
    > My PC is on another circuit and powered through a fast surge protector
    > with RF filtering. What else can I do about this?

    Line-interative UPS for the PC (or maybe the DSL router if you have one).

    I use a line-interactive UPS for my mail server. It has no monitor attached
    and if the power goes out the server keeps chugging away for about 40
    minutes before the batteries fail. With a screen attached and turned on, it
    would last about 25 minutes.

    In your case, all you want is the power-smoothing it would provide.

    The UPS is one of those $240-ish dollar UPS from DSE.

    steve, Apr 27, 2005
  5. GraB

    Richard Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > Whenever my old fridge cuts out my internet stops dead for about 20s.
    > My PC is on another circuit and powered through a fast surge protector
    > with RF filtering. What else can I do about this?

    Buy a power filer (not a $10 surge protector dressed up and sold for $90 like
    most of the ones) and put the fridge on it. A real power filter will have
    inductors and capacitors in it, and not be a simple 4 way powerstrip with an LED
    on it and a 50¢ MOV inside

    I have found it best to tackle the interfeering appliances then the thing being
    affected, no doubt you get noise on the stereo/TV as well when it occurs. Jaycar
    used to do a cheap 5 way with a filter, they seem to have discontinued it now, I
    used one to get rid of the buzz from a dimming halogen light and also on the
    xmas lights as they both put out a hell of a lot of noise messing with my stereos.

    Richard, Apr 27, 2005
  6. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 10:49:40 +1200, Richard <> wrote:

    >GraB wrote:
    >> Whenever my old fridge cuts out my internet stops dead for about 20s.
    >> My PC is on another circuit and powered through a fast surge protector
    >> with RF filtering. What else can I do about this?

    >Buy a power filer (not a $10 surge protector dressed up and sold for $90 like
    >most of the ones) and put the fridge on it. A real power filter will have
    >inductors and capacitors in it, and not be a simple 4 way powerstrip with an LED
    >on it and a 50¢ MOV inside
    >
    >I have found it best to tackle the interfeering appliances then the thing being
    >affected, no doubt you get noise on the stereo/TV as well when it occurs. Jaycar
    >used to do a cheap 5 way with a filter, they seem to have discontinued it now, I
    >used one to get rid of the buzz from a dimming halogen light and also on the
    >xmas lights as they both put out a hell of a lot of noise messing with my stereos.

    Only the Internet connection is affected. TV seems to be unaffected.
    I will look for a power filter.

    GraB, Apr 28, 2005
  7. GraB

    Bob McLellan Guest

    It probably has a relay cutout which is making a big spark. Try an arc
    suppressor around the relay.

    Bob McLellan, Apr 28, 2005
  8. In article <>,
    GraB <> wrote:

    >Only the Internet connection is affected. TV seems to be unaffected.

    You can never be sure which appliances will be affected by a power surge
    and which will not.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Apr 28, 2005