    Any help and suggestions and help would be appreciated.
    --
    Derrick Fawsitt
    Derrick Fawsitt, Apr 2, 2005

  2. Derrick Fawsitt

    Pepperoni Guest

    "Derrick Fawsitt" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Although I am a great advocate of SKYPE to make free calls PC to PC,
    > today I made my first VOIP PC to Landline telephone call. I used the UK
    > 1899 service to Ireland because I get my calls for 0.05 pence per
    > minute. It worked very well in that I heard the person on the landline
    > through my speakers perfectly, (as I listen to music a lot I have
    > configured my system to only use the mike of my headset), however they
    > did not hear me very clearly and there was a lot of interference. Where
    > is going wrong, do I need to configure my PC to use the headset to hear
    > as well as talk, if so I lose my speakers, or can I set it up to use
    > both. Why was the reception at the other end so bad. Admittedly 1899 say
    > they are in Beta but if I use someone else I won't get such a good deal
    > on the cost of the calls and then I might as well use the landline to
    > landline.
    > Any help and suggestions and help would be appreciated.
    > --
    > Derrick Fawsitt

    The most likely reason for your poor voice quality is the PC speakers.
    Sound from the speakers feeds back through your mic and results in feedback
    echo. Use your headset speakers instead, and try again.

    I use a handset that mutes the PC speakers when in use. This prevents
    having to switch wiring; when the handset is not in use, the PC speakers
    work normally.
    http://sipphone.com/accessories/
    The SIP Handset connects to your PC's audio in and out ports. It's main
    advantage is the automatic muting of the PC speakers when it is lifted from
    its holder or from the desk. There is no need to lower the volume or
    disconnect the PC speakers during use. The SIP handset includes a
    thumb-wheel volume control for the earpiece, preventing volume adjustments
    on your pc when dialing or receiving.

    Pepperoni
    Pepperoni, Apr 3, 2005

  3. In message <>, Pepperoni
    <> writes

    >"Derrick Fawsitt" <> wrote in message
    >> Although I am a great advocate of SKYPE to make free calls PC to PC,
    >> today I made my first VOIP PC to Landline telephone call. I used the UK
    >> 1899 service to Ireland because I get my calls for 0.05 pence per
    >> minute. It worked very well in that I heard the person on the landline
    >> through my speakers perfectly, (as I listen to music a lot I have
    >> configured my system to only use the mike of my headset), however they
    >> did not hear me very clearly and there was a lot of interference. Where
    >> is going wrong, do I need to configure my PC to use the headset to hear
    >> as well as talk, if so I lose my speakers, or can I set it up to use
    >> both. Why was the reception at the other end so bad. Admittedly 1899 say
    >> they are in Beta but if I use someone else I won't get such a good deal
    >> on the cost of the calls and then I might as well use the landline to
    >> landline.
    >> Any help and suggestions and help would be appreciated.
    >> --
    >> Derrick Fawsitt

    >The most likely reason for your poor voice quality is the PC speakers.
    >Sound from the speakers feeds back through your mic and results in feedback
    >echo. Use your headset speakers instead, and try again.
    >
    >I use a handset that mutes the PC speakers when in use. This prevents
    >having to switch wiring; when the handset is not in use, the PC speakers
    >work normally.
    >http://sipphone.com/accessories/
    >The SIP Handset connects to your PC's audio in and out ports. It's main
    >advantage is the automatic muting of the PC speakers when it is lifted from
    >its holder or from the desk. There is no need to lower the volume or
    >disconnect the PC speakers during use. The SIP handset includes a
    >thumb-wheel volume control for the earpiece, preventing volume adjustments
    >on your pc when dialing or receiving.
    >

    >Pepperoni

    Thank you so much, I will get a SIP Handset, someone suggested a Snom
    190 as being an ace machine but expensive, do you know it and is it
    worth it. I am so involved with communication its worth it to me to have
    the best.

    --
    Derrick Fawsitt
    Derrick Fawsitt, Apr 3, 2005
  4. Derrick Fawsitt

    Pepperoni Guest

    VOIP PC Handsets was Re: My first VOIP call

    > >The most likely reason for your poor voice quality is the PC speakers.
    > >Sound from the speakers feeds back through your mic and results in

    feedback
    > >echo. Use your headset speakers instead, and try again.
    > >
    > >I use a handset that mutes the PC speakers when in use. This prevents
    > >having to switch wiring; when the handset is not in use, the PC

    speakers
    > >work normally.
    > > http://sipphone.com/accessories/
    > >The SIP Handset connects to your PC's audio in and out ports. It's main
    > >advantage is the automatic muting of the PC speakers when it is lifted

    from
    > >its holder or from the desk. There is no need to lower the volume or
    > >disconnect the PC speakers during use. The SIP handset includes a
    > >thumb-wheel volume control for the earpiece, preventing volume

    adjustments
    > >on your pc when dialing or receiving.
    > >

    > >Pepperoni

    > Thank you so much, I will get a SIP Handset, someone suggested a Snom
    > 190 as being an ace machine but expensive, do you know it and is it
    > worth it. I am so involved with communication its worth it to me to have
    > the best.
    >
    > --
    > Derrick Fawsitt

    Gee, that phone is expensive.

    To use your PC for VOIP, I would just use a good handset. I also use a USB
    handset sometimes which (being digital) bypasses your sound card, and has a
    dialer built into the handset.
    http://tinyurl.com/3z83l
    This one is high quality and seems quite rugged (metal lightweight
    construction) It is branded "voiceglo", but is made by Cyberphone ("K"
    model) (I own this "K" model)
    see it here also:
    http://www.voipvoice.com/
    see also the other phones on the voipvoice site. there are several,
    including a speakerphone and a cyberphone model without the handset dial. (I
    don't have experience with the others)

    The Cyberphone unit has the best voice quality, but the Let'schat model is
    adequate and simple to use (and half the price)

    Both the CyberphoneK and the "Let'sChat" handset from
    http://sipphone.com/accessories/
    work well with PC softphones.

    For my soft phone, I use the SJLabs free software running Vonage.

    Minutes are also available several places, including the Sipphone site,
    Glophone and many others.
    (Glophone uses proprietary software, but has "Glo2GO" and can be used on
    public machines using JAVA)

    Pepperoni
    Pepperoni, Apr 3, 2005
  5. Derrick Fawsitt

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    Derrick Fawsitt <> wrote:
    > Although I am a great advocate of SKYPE to make free calls PC to PC,
    > today I made my first VOIP PC to Landline telephone call. I used the UK
    > 1899 service to Ireland because I get my calls for 0.05 pence per
    > minute.

    If by "0.05 pence per minute" you mean "0.0005 pounds per minute", or "20
    minutes for 1p", then that is a good price. If you mistyped and actually
    meant "5 pence per minute", that's really really expensive. I pay about 1/4
    that to call Ireland from Malaysia. Wouldn't Skypeout be cheaper?

    miguel
    --
    Hit The Road! Photos from 35 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
    Latest photos: Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Israel, Palestine
    Miguel Cruz, Apr 3, 2005
  6. Derrick Fawsitt

    Pepperoni Guest

    "Miguel Cruz" <> wrote in message
    > Derrick Fawsitt <> wrote:
    > > Although I am a great advocate of SKYPE to make free calls PC to PC,
    > > today I made my first VOIP PC to Landline telephone call. I used the UK
    > > 1899 service to Ireland because I get my calls for 0.05 pence per
    > > minute.

    > If by "0.05 pence per minute" you mean "0.0005 pounds per minute", or "20
    > minutes for 1p", then that is a good price. If you mistyped and actually
    > meant "5 pence per minute", that's really really expensive. I pay about

    1/4
    > that to call Ireland from Malaysia. Wouldn't Skypeout be cheaper?
    >
    > miguel
    > --
    > Hit The Road! Photos from 35 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
    > Latest photos: Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Israel, Palestine

    I wonder where this will end. The carriers are scrambling for new customers
    at rates that hardly generate income; meanwhile driving the land line
    carriers into the ground. The only thing generating income seems to be
    mobile phones.

    I switched to voip with unlimited (US/Can) calling, plus a softphone number,
    plus a toll free number for <$40 a month. Each number has all the extras.
    (call forward, voicemail, caller ID, etc, etc)

    Many of the VOIP providers are agreeing to interoperability, meaning
    peer-to-peer really means voip-to-voip for users on different providers.
    Free is free, but the companies with all the copper wire hanging are the
    losers now. Their assets are the hanging wire at a couple dollars a pound
    (as scrap) and VOIP is not only cheaper, but untaxed, too.

    Pepperoni

    http://call1899.com/rates.php
    Ireland [FIX] 1 (pence/min)
    Ireland [MOB] 15
    United States [FIX] Super Deal! 0.0 !!
    United States [MOB] 3
    Germany [FIX] Super Deal! 0.0 !!
    France [FIX] Super Deal! 1
    Canada [FIX] & [MOB] Super Deal! 0.0 !!
    Pepperoni, Apr 3, 2005
  7. Derrick Fawsitt wrote:

    > Thank you so much, I will get a SIP Handset, someone suggested a Snom
    > 190 as being an ace machine but expensive, do you know it and is it
    > worth it. I am so involved with communication its worth it to me to have
    > the best.

    Is it really that expensive in the UK? In Germany it retails for appr.
    100£ and I find it worth its price. If there is a lot to save, you can
    probably order it from a German dealer.

    There are still some firmware bugs related to the more odd functions and
    the documentation could be better, but the overall quality is very good.

    Tor
    Tor-Einar Jarnbjo, Apr 3, 2005
  8. Derrick Fawsitt

    supreme voip Guest

    You should try to call via VoiP from an ordinary analog telephone to
    another ordinary analog telephone. I have only a 256k internet speed
    and I didn't have any audible problems.
    If you want take a look on
    www.telextreme.com/181066/
    and see how this company, which implements VoIP and WiFI technology,
    offers you the latest technology in communications and saves you money
    on domestic and international calls. The only thing you need is your
    broadband Internet connection and you're ready TO SAVE money! (you
    don't need a computer).

    Please check out this opportunity for complete details at:
    www.telextreme.com/181066/
    or E-mail me at with any questions.

    Best Wishes,
    Supreme Voip