My First Vista x64 Installation

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Steve Winograd, Jan 1, 2008.

  1. Hi Everyone,

    I've been reading and learning a lot in this news group, and I want to
    describe my very good first experience with 64-bit Windows.

    I got a great price on a new Gateway GM5472, with 2.6 GHz Athlon 64 X2
    dual core 5000+. After increasing RAM from 2 GB to 4 GB and replacing
    the 300W power supply with 500W, I wiped out Gateway's 32-bit Vista
    Home Premium and installed 64-bit Vista Ultimate.

    Installation was uneventful. 64-bit drivers for all of the built-in
    devices, including the AverMedia TV tuner, were available on Gateway's
    web site and from Windows Update. I added a PCI Hauppauge WinTV-PVR
    150 TV tuner, which works with Vista's built-in drivers.

    These applications are installed and running fine: Virtual PC 2007,
    Firefox, Thunderbird, Forte Agent, Second Copy, ShortKeys, Whisper 32,
    News Rover, WorldMerge, Irfan View, MailWasher Pro, Office 2007,
    Noteworthy Composer, NOD32 Antivirus, BurnCDCC, ImgBurn.

    Virtual machines that I created on a 32-bit Intel system run fine on
    AMD 64-bit.

    The only application that won't install is Comcast Rhapsody, because
    of DRM. I can access Comcast Rhapsody from a web site, so that's OK.

    My networked HP LaserJet 2600n and Brother MFC-440CN printers work
    fine. So does an HP LaserJet 6P on a D-Link DP-300U print server.

    The only device that won't install is a discontinued Motorola USB
    wireless network adapter.

    My favorite thing is that I added a PCIe GeForce 8500 GT graphics card
    and, along with the built-in GeForce 6150SE, I'm running three
    monitors. :)
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    Steve Winograd, Jan 1, 2008

  2. Congratulations and Happy New Year.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 1, 2008

  3. Steve Winograd

    Zootal Guest

    Where did you find 64 bit drivers for AverMedia TV tuner? I have an old one,
    and I didn't think they even made XP drivers for it.

    Zootal, Jan 1, 2008
  4. On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 00:14:25 -0700, "Colin Barnhorst"
    <> wrote:
    >> Hi Everyone,
    >>
    >> I've been reading and learning a lot in this news group, and I want to
    >> describe my very good first experience with 64-bit Windows.
    >>
    >> I got a great price on a new Gateway GM5472, with 2.6 GHz Athlon 64 X2
    >> dual core 5000+. After increasing RAM from 2 GB to 4 GB and replacing
    >> the 300W power supply with 500W, I wiped out Gateway's 32-bit Vista
    >> Home Premium and installed 64-bit Vista Ultimate.
    >>
    >> Installation was uneventful. 64-bit drivers for all of the built-in
    >> devices, including the AverMedia TV tuner, were available on Gateway's
    >> web site and from Windows Update. I added a PCI Hauppauge WinTV-PVR
    >> 150 TV tuner, which works with Vista's built-in drivers.
    >>
    >> These applications are installed and running fine: Virtual PC 2007,
    >> Firefox, Thunderbird, Forte Agent, Second Copy, ShortKeys, Whisper 32,
    >> News Rover, WorldMerge, Irfan View, MailWasher Pro, Office 2007,
    >> Noteworthy Composer, NOD32 Antivirus, BurnCDCC, ImgBurn.
    >>
    >> Virtual machines that I created on a 32-bit Intel system run fine on
    >> AMD 64-bit.
    >>
    >> The only application that won't install is Comcast Rhapsody, because
    >> of DRM. I can access Comcast Rhapsody from a web site, so that's OK.
    >>
    >> My networked HP LaserJet 2600n and Brother MFC-440CN printers work
    >> fine. So does an HP LaserJet 6P on a D-Link DP-300U print server.
    >>
    >> The only device that won't install is a discontinued Motorola USB
    >> wireless network adapter.
    >>
    >> My favorite thing is that I added a PCIe GeForce 8500 GT graphics card
    >> and, along with the built-in GeForce 6150SE, I'm running three
    >> monitors. :)

    >Congratulations and Happy New Year.

    Thanks, Colin. Happy New Year to you, too.

    Steve Winograd, Jan 1, 2008
  5. On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 23:34:18 -0800, "Zootal"
    <> wrote:
    >> I've been reading and learning a lot in this news group, and I want to
    >> describe my very good first experience with 64-bit Windows.
    >>
    >> I got a great price on a new Gateway GM5472, with 2.6 GHz Athlon 64 X2
    >> dual core 5000+. After increasing RAM from 2 GB to 4 GB and replacing
    >> the 300W power supply with 500W, I wiped out Gateway's 32-bit Vista
    >> Home Premium and installed 64-bit Vista Ultimate.
    >>
    >> Installation was uneventful. 64-bit drivers for all of the built-in
    >> devices, including the AverMedia TV tuner, were available on Gateway's
    >> web site and from Windows Update. I added a PCI Hauppauge WinTV-PVR
    >> 150 TV tuner, which works with Vista's built-in drivers.
    >>
    >> These applications are installed and running fine: Virtual PC 2007,
    >> Firefox, Thunderbird, Forte Agent, Second Copy, ShortKeys, Whisper 32,
    >> News Rover, WorldMerge, Irfan View, MailWasher Pro, Office 2007,
    >> Noteworthy Composer, NOD32 Antivirus, BurnCDCC, ImgBurn.
    >>
    >> Virtual machines that I created on a 32-bit Intel system run fine on
    >> AMD 64-bit.
    >>
    >> The only application that won't install is Comcast Rhapsody, because
    >> of DRM. I can access Comcast Rhapsody from a web site, so that's OK.
    >>
    >> My networked HP LaserJet 2600n and Brother MFC-440CN printers work
    >> fine. So does an HP LaserJet 6P on a D-Link DP-300U print server.
    >>
    >> The only device that won't install is a discontinued Motorola USB
    >> wireless network adapter.
    >>
    >> My favorite thing is that I added a PCIe GeForce 8500 GT graphics card
    >> and, along with the built-in GeForce 6150SE, I'm running three
    >> monitors. :)

    >Where did you find 64 bit drivers for AverMedia TV tuner? I have an old one,
    >and I didn't think they even made XP drivers for it.

    Vista has a built-in 64-bit driver for the AverMedia M791 PCIe Combo
    NTSC/ATSC tuner. I mistakenly said that Gateway has the driver. The
    driver on the Gateway web site is 32-bit.

    AVerMedia has a 64-bit driver here:

    http://www.aver.com/mpd/support/download/m791_pcie.html

    AVerMedia drivers for other products are here. I hope that your tuner
    is included:

    http://www.aver.com/mpd/support/download/download.html

    Steve Winograd, Jan 1, 2008
  6. Steve Winograd

    Zootal Guest

    Mine is in the "discontinued" section, it's an old TVFM98 card. The Aver US
    people are clueless. They told me there were no XP drivers for my card, so I
    went to the Taiwan Aver site, and found them there. Works very will with
    XP32. Alas, no XP64 drivers...<sigh>....

    Zootal, Jan 1, 2008
  7. Steve Winograd

    R. C. White Guest

    Congratulations, Steve!

    Welcome to the 64-bit world! I've been running Vista Ultimate x64 since RTM
    on a homebuilt rig very similar to your Gateway (AMD 64 X2 5000+, 4 GB RAM,
    etc.) and am very happy with it. After fighting with drivers and a few
    incompatible programs all through the Vista beta, I was very pleased to find
    that practically all the drivers I needed were that at RTM and that the
    final few apps were compatible with the final Vista.

    Enjoy! And Happy New Year to you, too!

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Jan 1, 2008
  8. Welcome to our 64-bit world, Steve. You've obviously done your homework and
    understand the dynamics of moving to a new architecture.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 1, 2008
  9. On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 09:45:40 -0600, "R. C. White" <>
    wrote:
    >> Hi Everyone,
    >>
    >> I've been reading and learning a lot in this news group, and I want to
    >> describe my very good first experience with 64-bit Windows.
    >>
    >> I got a great price on a new Gateway GM5472, with 2.6 GHz Athlon 64 X2
    >> dual core 5000+. After increasing RAM from 2 GB to 4 GB and replacing
    >> the 300W power supply with 500W, I wiped out Gateway's 32-bit Vista
    >> Home Premium and installed 64-bit Vista Ultimate.
    >>
    >> Installation was uneventful. 64-bit drivers for all of the built-in
    >> devices, including the AverMedia TV tuner, were available on Gateway's
    >> web site and from Windows Update. I added a PCI Hauppauge WinTV-PVR
    >> 150 TV tuner, which works with Vista's built-in drivers.
    >>
    >> These applications are installed and running fine: Virtual PC 2007,
    >> Firefox, Thunderbird, Forte Agent, Second Copy, ShortKeys, Whisper 32,
    >> News Rover, WorldMerge, Irfan View, MailWasher Pro, Office 2007,
    >> Noteworthy Composer, NOD32 Antivirus, BurnCDCC, ImgBurn.
    >>
    >> Virtual machines that I created on a 32-bit Intel system run fine on
    >> AMD 64-bit.
    >>
    >> The only application that won't install is Comcast Rhapsody, because
    >> of DRM. I can access Comcast Rhapsody from a web site, so that's OK.
    >>
    >> My networked HP LaserJet 2600n and Brother MFC-440CN printers work
    >> fine. So does an HP LaserJet 6P on a D-Link DP-300U print server.
    >>
    >> The only device that won't install is a discontinued Motorola USB
    >> wireless network adapter.
    >>
    >> My favorite thing is that I added a PCIe GeForce 8500 GT graphics card
    >> and, along with the built-in GeForce 6150SE, I'm running three
    >> monitors. :)

    >Congratulations, Steve!
    >
    >Welcome to the 64-bit world! I've been running Vista Ultimate x64 since RTM
    >on a homebuilt rig very similar to your Gateway (AMD 64 X2 5000+, 4 GB RAM,
    >etc.) and am very happy with it. After fighting with drivers and a few
    >incompatible programs all through the Vista beta, I was very pleased to find
    >that practically all the drivers I needed were that at RTM and that the
    >final few apps were compatible with the final Vista.
    >
    >Enjoy! And Happy New Year to you, too!
    >
    >RC

    Thanks, RC. I was pleased with the driver and app support, too.

    Happy New Year!

    Steve Winograd, Jan 1, 2008
  10. On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 08:01:48 -0800, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
    <> wrote:
    >> I've been reading and learning a lot in this news group, and I want to
    >> describe my very good first experience with 64-bit Windows.
    >>
    >> I got a great price on a new Gateway GM5472, with 2.6 GHz Athlon 64 X2
    >> dual core 5000+. After increasing RAM from 2 GB to 4 GB and replacing
    >> the 300W power supply with 500W, I wiped out Gateway's 32-bit Vista
    >> Home Premium and installed 64-bit Vista Ultimate.
    >>
    >> Installation was uneventful. 64-bit drivers for all of the built-in
    >> devices, including the AverMedia TV tuner, were available on Gateway's
    >> web site and from Windows Update. I added a PCI Hauppauge WinTV-PVR
    >> 150 TV tuner, which works with Vista's built-in drivers.
    >>
    >> These applications are installed and running fine: Virtual PC 2007,
    >> Firefox, Thunderbird, Forte Agent, Second Copy, ShortKeys, Whisper 32,
    >> News Rover, WorldMerge, Irfan View, MailWasher Pro, Office 2007,
    >> Noteworthy Composer, NOD32 Antivirus, BurnCDCC, ImgBurn.
    >>
    >> Virtual machines that I created on a 32-bit Intel system run fine on
    >> AMD 64-bit.
    >>
    >> The only application that won't install is Comcast Rhapsody, because
    >> of DRM. I can access Comcast Rhapsody from a web site, so that's OK.
    >>
    >> My networked HP LaserJet 2600n and Brother MFC-440CN printers work
    >> fine. So does an HP LaserJet 6P on a D-Link DP-300U print server.
    >>
    >> The only device that won't install is a discontinued Motorola USB
    >> wireless network adapter.
    >>
    >> My favorite thing is that I added a PCIe GeForce 8500 GT graphics card
    >> and, along with the built-in GeForce 6150SE, I'm running three
    >> monitors. :)

    >Welcome to our 64-bit world, Steve. You've obviously done your homework and
    >understand the dynamics of moving to a new architecture.

    Thanks, Charlie. The people in this news group are great teachers. :)

    I notice that most of the replies to my first message are top-posted.
    Is that the convention here? If so, I'll consider switching. The
    other Msnews groups that I take part in are almost all bottom-posted.

    Steve Winograd, Jan 1, 2008
  11. Steve Winograd

    Carlos Guest

    Steve,
    Congratulations and welcome to the 64-bit world.
    Regarding your "old" Motorola USB wireless network adapter there is always a
    chance that the same chipset may be used or produced by another manufacturer.
    Go to Device Manager, right click on your USB adapter, go to the detail
    tabs, choose Hardware ID and take note of the VID and PID entries.
    The first one identifies the real manufacturer and the second one the device
    itself.
    Go here:
    http://www.pcidatabase.com/
    And input your VID in the dialog box in order to find out the real
    manufacturer.
    Try googling from there on with that info, VID PID and manufacturer, in
    order to find equivalent USB adapters that might have Vista x64 drivers.
    That worked for me with an unknown brand webcam for which I found drivers in
    Genius.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 1, 2008
  12. We seem to be mostly a top-post group, but one of the "rules" here is that
    we don't get into "religous wars". Not about processors, not about windows
    v. linux, and not about top v. bottom posting. ;)

    We try to be tolerant and helpful. And collegial. So do whatever works for
    you. I'm a top poster, since I have already got the entire thread there,
    persistent in OE/WM, and it's just easier for me.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 1, 2008
  13. Now that's a really useful description of the process, Carlos. Mind if I
    steal it for the xperts64 blog?

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 1, 2008
  14. Steve Winograd

    Carlos Guest

    Charlie,
    Glad to share part of my bag o' tricks with everybody!
    A comprehensive list of VID's and PID's can be found here:
    http://www.pcidatabase.com/reports.php?type=tab-delimeted
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 1, 2008
  15. Posted. Thanks.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 2, 2008
  16. On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 10:32:05 -0800, Carlos
    <> wrote:
    >> I've been reading and learning a lot in this news group, and I want to
    >> describe my very good first experience with 64-bit Windows.
    >>[snip]
    >> The only device that won't install is a discontinued Motorola USB
    >> wireless network adapter.

    >Steve,
    >Congratulations and welcome to the 64-bit world.
    >Regarding your "old" Motorola USB wireless network adapter there is always a
    >chance that the same chipset may be used or produced by another manufacturer.
    >Go to Device Manager, right click on your USB adapter, go to the detail
    >tabs, choose Hardware ID and take note of the VID and PID entries.
    >The first one identifies the real manufacturer and the second one the device
    >itself.
    >Go here:
    >http://www.pcidatabase.com/
    >And input your VID in the dialog box in order to find out the real
    >manufacturer.
    >Try googling from there on with that info, VID PID and manufacturer, in
    >order to find equivalent USB adapters that might have Vista x64 drivers.
    >That worked for me with an unknown brand webcam for which I found drivers in
    >Genius.
    >Carlos

    Thanks, Carlos -- that's a great tip about finding drivers.

    The VID for the Motorola USB wireless NIC is 07B2. That number
    doesn't appear in the PCI database.

    Steve Winograd, Jan 6, 2008
  17. I entirely agree - this is extremely usefull if you're cornered. This is
    promptly being re-directed off to the printer and inserted in my reference
    library.

    Good work, Carlos!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jan 7, 2008
  18. Steve Winograd

    Carlos Guest

    Thanks, Tony!

    Carlos, Jan 7, 2008
  19. Steve Winograd

    Carlos Guest

    Steve,
    A little of googling took me to this additional database:
    http://www.filewatcher.com/p/usbutils-0.11-5mdk.src.rpm.227936/usb.ids.html
    where VID 07B2 is assigned to Motorola BCS, Inc.
    There's one device listed under that VID.
    It is a PID 4100 which happens to be a Motorola SB4100 Cable Modem.
    I don't know which is the PID for your USB modem, but you might find
    something in the web searching for the VID together with the PID.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 7, 2008