My First Gaming Computer Rig

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Trey Rozsa, Oct 29, 2008.

  1. Trey Rozsa

    Trey Rozsa Guest

    Hey guys,

    I am trying to put together a gaming computer rig. I am hoping to
    learn more about computers as I research which parts need to go with
    which others. Mind you, I am very new to computer building, so some of
    the choices I made may be completely stupid; enlighten me if you see
    any.

    My father, who has built many computers, is going to help me actually
    put it together, but I need to make sure I am picking out the right
    pieces. Any criticism on the pieces I've chosen, whether it be on
    specific hardware or the combinations of the hardware, all criticism
    is welcome.

    CASE: Aspire X-SuperALIEN ATXA6SW/500 PS Aluminum Gaming Case
    MB: Asus P5Q3 Deluxe/WiFi-AP @n Core 2 Extreme/ INTEL P45/
    DDR3-2000/ CrossFireX/ Wi-Fi/ A&2GbE/ ATX Motherboard
    CPU: Intel Q9550 P4 CORE 2 QUAD LGA775 2.83G
    MEMORY: Crucial 4GB ,2GBX2, DDR3-1333 PC2-10600 Memory
    HDD: Seagate ST3500620AS 500GB SATA2 7200rpm 16MB Hard Drive
    CD-ROM: SONY Optiarc CRX890S-10 24X/24X/24X/8X SATA Slim CD-RW/DVD
    VGA: ASUS nVidia GeForce GTX260 896MB 2DVI/HDCP PCI-Express

    I'll be throwing in a Zalman fan or maybe the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7
    Pro. I am also planning on getting a 750W PSU. Do you think that will
    be good? I am also considering learning how to properly OC on this
    rig. I am also still up in the air over what soundcard to get.

    I want the rig to be able to run Crysis on at least medium settings,
    as well as Starcraft 2, when it comes out. I am planning on using
    Vista Ultimate 32-bit as well, since I found it for a VERY low price
    at my college bookstore.

    Any help would be greatly appreciate.

    Andrew

    Trey Rozsa, Oct 29, 2008

  2. Trey Rozsa

    trouble Guest

    These are all high end components.
    Overclocking is utterly over-rated when using high end components like you
    have listed. The minimal increase in speed, generally appreciable only in
    benchmark tests and not perceivable in actual use, is not worth the risk of
    destroying expensive computer parts.
    Caveat empty-headed.
    Unless you are using a very large LCD panel, with its attendant high
    resolution, if your system is working properly you should achieve in Crysis
    more fps then you will be able to appreciate. Cranking up the special
    effects in Crysis beyond what your hi-end dual card SLI system would
    otherwise support does not in any perceptible way change your experience of
    the game, unless it lowers the fps noticeably. The eye-candy in Crysis, as
    opposed to the FPS, is not dramatically different at uber settings.
    Crysis is just another repetitive shoot-em-up anyway. Turn on God mode and
    kill all the bad guys just to get to the end and get it over with.
    I would avoid liquid cooling unless you are absolutely sure about what you
    are doing. It is more important to get a good CPU cooler (there are many out
    there) and make sure that you arrange the cabling in your case to maximize
    air flow. Those video cards will get red hot with intensive 3-d gaming.
    Speaking of which: make sure your power supply, 750 watts should be enough,
    has enough connections to power both video cards. You may need adapters.
    Spend extra on a high quality, name brand power supply. Anything else is
    likely to fail early.
    Finally, you should always have two hard drives, even if you do not plan to
    use RAID. Moving the swap file to a second hard drive speeds up Windows.
    In the world of Steve Jobs you could not build your own, would have to pay
    Apple super premium prices for mid-range Intel hardware, and you could not
    play high end games. All so you can run the same productivity programs
    (Microsoft Office, Photoshop-32 bit only) and click on different looking
    icons. I get it not.

    trouble, Oct 29, 2008

  3. Trey Rozsa

    Trey Rozsa Guest

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 14:01:56 -0700, "trouble" <>
    wrote:

    >These are all high end components.
    >Overclocking is utterly over-rated when using high end components like you
    >have listed. The minimal increase in speed, generally appreciable only in
    >benchmark tests and not perceivable in actual use, is not worth the risk of
    >destroying expensive computer parts.
    >Caveat empty-headed.
    >Unless you are using a very large LCD panel, with its attendant high
    >resolution, if your system is working properly you should achieve in Crysis
    >more fps then you will be able to appreciate. Cranking up the special
    >effects in Crysis beyond what your hi-end dual card SLI system would
    >otherwise support does not in any perceptible way change your experience of
    >the game, unless it lowers the fps noticeably. The eye-candy in Crysis, as
    >opposed to the FPS, is not dramatically different at uber settings.
    >Crysis is just another repetitive shoot-em-up anyway. Turn on God mode and
    >kill all the bad guys just to get to the end and get it over with.
    >I would avoid liquid cooling unless you are absolutely sure about what you
    >are doing. It is more important to get a good CPU cooler (there are many out
    >there) and make sure that you arrange the cabling in your case to maximize
    >air flow. Those video cards will get red hot with intensive 3-d gaming.
    >Speaking of which: make sure your power supply, 750 watts should be enough,
    >has enough connections to power both video cards. You may need adapters.
    >Spend extra on a high quality, name brand power supply. Anything else is
    >likely to fail early.
    >Finally, you should always have two hard drives, even if you do not plan to
    >use RAID. Moving the swap file to a second hard drive speeds up Windows.
    >In the world of Steve Jobs you could not build your own, would have to pay
    >Apple super premium prices for mid-range Intel hardware, and you could not
    >play high end games. All so you can run the same productivity programs
    >(Microsoft Office, Photoshop-32 bit only) and click on different looking
    >icons. I get it not.

    Thanks so much for your input. I am planning on using a 22" 1680 x
    1050 LCD as my monitor, and have been getting some feedback about
    perhaps going to 2x 4870s or just going with the 280. The main reason
    I wanted to make sure it would be able to run Crysis was more as a
    personal benchmark, so I'd know the rig's power. I am planning on
    keeping this rig, and just upgrading along the way, so it'll be able
    to play the newest games very well.

    Also, I was planning on getting a 2nd HDD as soon as all the parts
    were up and working, and not using RAID.

    Again, thanks so much for your help. I'll definitely put it to use!

    Andrew

    Trey Rozsa, Oct 29, 2008
  4. Trey Rozsa

    gnu / linux Guest