My first few weeks on the net have been a security nightmare

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Anonymous, Feb 9, 2004.

  1. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    I am a newcomer to the internet and things have been turning out very badly.
    I had chosen to use msn for my provider but the salesman forgot to give me
    the software disk. I called msn and they told me they could get me on the net.
    So anyway I fell asleep with my computer on at what may be considered a highly
    suspect site. I had no firewall, no virus scanner, nothing. Well let me tell
    you strange things have happened to my computer. I can't shut it off, my back
    button does not work and sometimes when I use it it sends "java reports" to
    some unknown site on the net. I can't keep my firewall engaged (when I look
    I find it has been taken down) sometimes my norton virus scanner is "not available".
    I try to connect to a proxy server and then all of a sudden, im not connected
    anymore. Something shut off my audio after I could actually HEAR what sounded
    like someone rustling around coming through my speakers. I was looking at my
    modem settings when all of a sudden I got a warning of "a malicious script".
    Truthfully I could go on a lot more but you get the picture. The tech support
    person at msn advised me to get a good firewall but she didnt seem too well
    versed on the subject of computer security. I have just a few questions for
    the gurus here. Is the MSN firewall any good? Does it stack up to Zone Alarm
    Pro which I am thinking of buying? What do you make of whats happening to me?
    -=-
    This message was posted via two or more anonymous remailing services.
    Anonymous, Feb 9, 2004

  2. Anonymous

    Leythos Guest

    In article <WB4Z37OY38025.8797916667@anonymous>,
    says...
    > I am a newcomer to the internet and things have been turning out very badly.

    [snip]
    > the gurus here. Is the MSN firewall any good? Does it stack up to Zone Alarm
    > Pro which I am thinking of buying? What do you make of whats happening to me?
    > -=-
    > This message was posted via two or more anonymous remailing services.

    All of this from someone that knows how to post using remailers!

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)
    Leythos, Feb 9, 2004

  3. "Anonymous" <> wrote in message
    I have just a few questions for
    | the gurus here. Is the MSN firewall any good? Does it stack up
    to Zone Alarm
    | Pro which I am thinking of buying? What do you make of whats
    happening to me?
    | -=-

    Well, I have been using MS PCs since 1984, working with them
    intensively, too. But there's always someone who is one step
    further about something than I am, so I won't presume to be a
    Guru. However, I'm a damn good explainer and human-side expert,
    so let me deliver an overview from that perspective.

    First of all, I'm a firm believer in trusting companies that
    specialize in things. For example, I'd rather buy loudspeakers
    from Advent than from Mitsubishi. When it comes to computer
    security, I trust security companies much more than I trust
    Microsoft. After all, it wasn't the security companies that
    introduced all the security holes in their products! It was
    you-know-who.

    For advice about antivirus products, I'd advise getting input
    from various sources such as magazine articles and discussions on
    newsgroups such as this one, plus alt.comp.virus,
    alt.privacy.spyware, and others I'm overlooking.

    Immediately:
    Use the Microsoft stuff that you have for free immediately for
    the time being. Make sure to change your web settings in Outlook
    Express per special instructions (please someone point Anonymous
    to a good web site with the settings). Make a print copy of these
    settings and then go into Tools/Internet Options/ and do your
    settings per your printout.

    Use a good free antivirus immediately (I like Grisoft AVG). Run
    scans with it with it configured for full-strength.

    Philosophy:
    You will need an antivirus program (for email and newsgroups), a
    firewall program (for the Web), and I think that having a proxy
    server is cool: this last one: The Proxmitron is outstanding for
    this last. It is free, humane, and it helps provide excellent
    control over the many malefactors who abuse you on the web. It is
    a well-loved piece of brilliant software.

    Don't buy software based only on reviews. Critics work in ideal
    settings, and there is a strong history in many fields of
    magazine reviews tending to say nice things about their
    advertisers. A product that they are fanatic about in their
    networked office may run lousy in your home. Also, a corporation
    may get excellent support from a software company that won't even
    say "hello" to you.

    These are my own personal rules:

    - Don't pay money for any security software unless the publisher
    will talk with you on the phone without any charge! Don't give
    your money to a publisher who places obstacles in the way of your
    contacting them. The publisher should provide easily-obtainable
    phone support with people who speak English as their first
    language; people who actually know the product. This rule covers
    companies that put out "comprehensive utility packages." I have
    always found it, for example, totally impossible to communicate
    with Symantec on the phone unless it involved giving them money.
    I also found it next to impossible to find a way to send them
    email, even harder to get them to reply, and even harder still to
    obtain a useful answer. My friend, a data manager for a large
    public agency, can get them on the phone in an instant. The
    critics always love their Norton Systemworks. I have never gotten
    the thing to do almost anything other than slug down my system.

    - I don't care if they provide a toll-free line for that support
    call or not, and it is typical to wait, let's say, for 20
    minutes. I'll absorb that. What's important is that they'll speak
    with me one-to-one and be knowledgeable about their product.

    - Support does cost money. I think that it is fair for the
    publisher to provide really good documentation (that's a whole
    'nother issue) and for us to first try to find our answers there
    and briefly on their web site. But given that good try by the
    customer, it's time to get on the phone and for them to answer
    that phone!

    - In the absence of live telephone support, I see no reason to
    pay for the product. In a case like this, I prefer a free
    alternative. There are some good ones out there, sometimes even
    from the same company that won't talk with you on the phone! And,
    by the way, charging money for phone support means the same thing
    to me as "...won't talk with you on the phone." Some of these
    outfits charge some pretty wild prices for that phone call
    (Sygate: $75 per call).

    Some free software is well-supported by enthusiasts. You can find
    them on forums like this one, or on certain web sites.

    There are some good firewalls and antivirus programs coming out
    of eastern Europe. A few of them have no American offices, so I
    don't think it is realistic to expect them to talk good English
    with me on the phone. On the other hand, with my current long
    distance service, I can call much of Europe for the same price as
    it costs me to call the next county. Hmmm!

    - Unlimited support by email is no substitute for good quality
    free telephone support. I do believe in paying for good software,
    by the way, but that's got to include proper support. It has
    become fashionable among many corporations to be uncivilized to
    their own customers, the hands that feed them. They regard
    support as a "loss center." Worse, I have found hardware
    manufacturers such as Okidata and others, to have adopted this
    policy. They assign a "product life cycle" to a product. You will
    get, let's say, free support during the warranty period, paid
    support after that, and nothing after the product's "life" is
    over. I returned a Hewlett-Packard CD recorder because when I
    read the terms, I found that phone support could only be had for
    $2.50 per minute from day one! (I bought a Plextor drive instead,
    have been happy with it, and they've been talking with me for
    three years already).

    - Here's the drill. Let's say that you're so badly infected with
    a virus that you can't boot your computer. Therefore, you cannot
    go on line to use their email support. You're dead in the water.

    Email-only support is caused by a the publisher's assumption that
    the only customers who matter are big commercial accounts. These
    folks will have multiple computers, so if yours is down, the
    system administrator will have a non-networked machine with which
    to connect. For us peasants, however, the system administrators
    are us! And we've got only one computer. Email support is cheap
    for the publisher: the support techs are expected to barrel
    through the queries as fast as they can go and reply with canned
    answers. They must be working for slave-drivers, because I'd say
    that at least half of those responses have been simply wrong!

    In conclusion:

    Take the time to do your homework. Before buying, check out their
    support policies. If they won't come through for me, my policy is
    "walk." I don't care how good their product is, I'll go to
    someone else who really wants my business.

    Richard
    Richard Steinfeld, Feb 9, 2004
  4. Anonymous wrote:

    >I am a newcomer to the internet

    I think you're a troll. Newcomers don't use remailers.
    Micheal Robert Zium, Feb 9, 2004
  5. In article <>, mrozium@XSPAMX-
    yahoo.com says...
    > Anonymous wrote:
    >
    > >I am a newcomer to the internet

    > I think you're a troll. Newcomers don't use remailers.

    and many other things in that post.

    --
    Colonel Flagg
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/

    Privacy at a click:
    http://www.cotse.net

    A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

    "...I see stupid people."
    Colonel Flagg, Feb 9, 2004
  6. In article <>, mrozium@XSPAMX-
    yahoo.com says...
    > Anonymous wrote:
    >
    > >I am a newcomer to the internet

    > I think you're a troll. Newcomers don't use remailers.

    I can't see anything particularly trolling about that message, no slams
    on anyone or anything. As for newcomers using remailers, there are many
    easy ways to use remailers, we offer one and have many newbies on our
    service.

    /steve
    --
    Protect yourself on-line. Hide your identifying details in e-mail,
    usenet, and more. A privacy service like no other.
    Stephen K. Gielda, Feb 9, 2004
  7. Anonymous

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > In article <>, mrozium@XSPAMX-
    > yahoo.com says...
    > > Anonymous wrote:
    > >
    > > >I am a newcomer to the internet

    > > I think you're a troll. Newcomers don't use remailers.
    > >

    > I can't see anything particularly trolling about that message, no slams
    > on anyone or anything. As for newcomers using remailers, there are many
    > easy ways to use remailers, we offer one and have many newbies on our
    > service.

    I've yet to meet / hear of a noob that even knows what a remailer is. In
    fact, most noobs use OE for usenet.

    My guess is that it's one of Trackers friends, since tracker could never
    write something that well thought out.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)
    Leythos, Feb 9, 2004
  8. Anonymous

    Bill Unruh Guest

    Anonymous <> writes:

[...]

    NO idea if this is a breakin or your not knowing what you are doing. But if it is a breaking,
    wipe your disk, take it off the net (so that you do not discover the FBI at your door, your
    computer having been used to attack the Pentagon) and reinstall the operating system from
    your installation disk. Then befor putting it back on the net, set up the firewall and the
    antivirus program.
    Bill Unruh, Feb 9, 2004
  9. Anonymous

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 05:20:15 GMT, Leythos <> wrote:

    >My guess is that it's one of Trackers friends, since tracker could never
    >write something that well thought out.

    She has friends? surely not.
    --
    Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com