    gear and will be purchasing a 2507 router. Where should I start? I
    purchased a beginners guide to cisco from amazon but also feel that a
    good newsgroup community could also help. Does anyone have any advice?

    bray, Apr 25, 2007

  2. bray

    vrillusions Guest

    On 25 Apr 2007, bray <> wrote:

    > Hello. I've never owned any cisco products, aside from the usual
    > linksys gear and will be purchasing a 2507 router. Where should I
    > start? I purchased a beginners guide to cisco from amazon but also
    > feel that a good newsgroup community could also help. Does anyone have
    > any advice?

    The two biggest recommendations are google, and practice. At my job now
    I went from kinda/sorta knowing cisco to being the primary administrator
    of a 3 site inter-vpn connected sollution. It will take some heavy
    google searching, but you should be able to find the manual for the IOS
    (the software that runs inside a cisco router). If you get to that
    section you will find a ton of documentation straight from cisco.

    Another big recommendation is when configuring the router, first write
    out the statements in your favorite text editor like note pad. Also
    getting in the habit of backup your current config ever so often would e
    beneficial. I will have serveral windows open when I do configurations:
    a text file of what commands I need to pass it, print the running config
    to screen (`sh config` or `sh running-config`, etc) and copy that into
    another window. Then if you make a big change, and it's working, do
    another backup of config. Don't wait till you exit, do a `wr t` (write
    terminal) whenever you change things and it works. At the very least if
    something breaks you can relaod the back up copy you have.

    --
    Todd

    vrillusions, Apr 25, 2007