    My question is how did the suspect(s) find me?
    I mean if eBay/Paypal is so secure how did the perpetrator(s) find me?
    TIA!
    Sammy Smith, Jul 30, 2005

  2. Sammy Smith <> wrote:

    > My question is how did the suspect(s) find me?
    > I mean if eBay/Paypal is so secure how did the perpetrator(s) find me?

    They got your email somewhere, just like spammers do. They don't care
    wether you actually are registered with Ebay or Paypal.

    I often get phishing mails for banks that I haven't even heard off - of
    course, I always take the time to enter my informations into their
    forms before reporting their site. Oh, BTW, would you believe I'm a
    90-year-old nun living in Paraguay? :)

    Juergen Nieveler
    --
    Never shoot to kill. Shoot to live!
    Juergen Nieveler, Jul 30, 2005

  3. Sammy Smith

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 16:34:19 GMT, Sammy Smith <>
    wrote:

    >Hi, I was stunted when I got a suspicious email from paypal demanding
    >I update my records or lose my account. Luckily I had read about these
    >types of emails and reported/forwarded the email to paypal. I have
    >deleted the email without acting on it. I hope they catch the S.O.B.
    >who victimize innocent people.
    >My question is how did the suspect(s) find me?
    >I mean if eBay/Paypal is so secure how did the perpetrator(s) find me?
    >TIA!

    I regularly get them on accounts that have never been used
    for financial purposes, it works on the principle if you send enough
    some will get a result.

    If you get any more check if the website is active and if it is
    report it to paypal, otherwise chances are its history.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Jul 30, 2005
  4. Sammy Smith

    Management Guest

    Sammy Smith wrote:
    > Hi, I was stunted when I got a suspicious email from paypal demanding
    > I update my records or lose my account. Luckily I had read about these
    > types of emails and reported/forwarded the email to paypal. I have
    > deleted the email without acting on it. I hope they catch the S.O.B.
    > who victimize innocent people.
    > My question is how did the suspect(s) find me?
    > I mean if eBay/Paypal is so secure how did the perpetrator(s) find me?
    > TIA!

    Before deleting next time forward it, with headers, to
    and check out suspects at
    http://www.millersmiles.co.uk/

    As to how they found you, they may not have directly. They may well
    have used software to generate plausible addresses and they don't
    care if a few million bounce 'cos the senders email address is spoofed!

    Charlie.

    --
    Broadcasting to the environs
    www.radiowymsey.org
    Management, Jul 30, 2005
  5. From: "Sammy Smith" <>

    | Hi, I was stunted when I got a suspicious email from paypal demanding
    | I update my records or lose my account. Luckily I had read about these
    | types of emails and reported/forwarded the email to paypal. I have
    | deleted the email without acting on it. I hope they catch the S.O.B.
    | who victimize innocent people.
    | My question is how did the suspect(s) find me?
    | I mean if eBay/Paypal is so secure how did the perpetrator(s) find me?
    | TIA!

    Its just like spam. They buy, trade or harvest email addresses and then send the email
    enmasse.

    Report all phishing attempts to the Anti Phishing Working Group
    http://www.antiphishing.org/report_phishing.html

    Send the full header and body of the email to...

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
    David H. Lipman, Jul 31, 2005
  6. Sammy Smith

    Max Wachtel Guest

    "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in

    > From: "Sammy Smith" <>
    >
    >| Hi, I was stunted when I got a suspicious email from paypal
    >| demanding I update my records or lose my account. Luckily I had
    >| read about these types of emails and reported/forwarded the email
    >| to paypal. I have deleted the email without acting on it. I hope
    >| they catch the S.O.B. who victimize innocent people.
    >| My question is how did the suspect(s) find me?
    >| I mean if eBay/Paypal is so secure how did the perpetrator(s)
    >| find me? TIA!
    >
    > Its just like spam. They buy, trade or harvest email addresses
    > and then send the email enmasse.
    >
    > Report all phishing attempts to the Anti Phishing Working Group
    > http://www.antiphishing.org/report_phishing.html
    >
    > Send the full header and body of the email to...

    David-
    I usually just forward those to but I will start to
    also send them to antiphishing.org
    Thanks for links
    -max

    Registered Linux User #393236
    Max Wachtel, Jul 31, 2005
  7. Sammy Smith

    Jim Watt Guest

    On 31 Jul 2005 20:04:33 GMT, Max Wachtel <>
    wrote:

    >"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in
    >
    >> From: "Sammy Smith" <>
    >>
    >>| Hi, I was stunted when I got a suspicious email from paypal
    >>| demanding I update my records or lose my account. Luckily I had
    >>| read about these types of emails and reported/forwarded the email
    >>| to paypal. I have deleted the email without acting on it. I hope
    >>| they catch the S.O.B. who victimize innocent people.
    >>| My question is how did the suspect(s) find me?
    >>| I mean if eBay/Paypal is so secure how did the perpetrator(s)
    >>| find me? TIA!
    >>
    >> Its just like spam. They buy, trade or harvest email addresses
    >> and then send the email enmasse.
    >>
    >> Report all phishing attempts to the Anti Phishing Working Group
    >> http://www.antiphishing.org/report_phishing.html
    >>
    >> Send the full header and body of the email to...
    >>

    >David-
    >I usually just forward those to but I will start to
    >also send them to antiphishing.org
    >Thanks for links
    >-max

    if the bogus website is still active, and its paypal its best to mail
    them to the address given on the real paypal site, its in their
    interest to take these things down as quickly as possible and
    they are the guys with the credentials to do it.

    If the site is gone, its probably already been actioned so further
    emails are just noise.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Jul 31, 2005
  8. Sammy Smith

    lpaulson3 Guest

    Two ways they could have found you. One, they could have created random
    e-mail addresses. Two they could have just gotten you e-mail address off a
    list and sent everyone on that list a phishing e-mail that claimed to be
    from pay-pal.
    I get e-mails all the time that claim to want verification for comapanies I
    do no business with. The most common ones are Ebay, Pay-pal, and NCUA. I
    do get others occasionally, most notably Visa.
    The best way to deal with these people is to report the websites to their
    hosting company. 99% of all hosts on the internet prohibit phishing and will
    delete the account if you report it to them. Track the IP, and find the
    server. Once you find the server you can find their abuse e-mail address
    and report the perp
    lpaulson3, Aug 1, 2005