My first analog photos!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Sandman, May 28, 2012.

  1. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    So I got my film developed last week and used my Epson V750 scanner to
    scan them in.

    Unfortunately, the lab had mistakenly developed my color Portra
    160-film as black and white film, so no color photos as of yet :/

    You can see the photos I picked out here:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonaseklundh/sets/72157629930160324/

    So, these are the photos I liked the most, there were tons of shots
    that were hopelessly out of focus. Focusing manually with a 1.9 lens
    is damn hard for a newbie! :)

    So, after having developed the shots, I noticed when I scanned them
    that they had TONS of dust on them. I looked at thelens and noticed it
    had some dust *inside* the lens. But probably not enough for all the
    dust in the scans. Realized that my scanner was a bit dusty as well,
    but still, this is an old camera, dust will always be there in some
    way or another. Easily fixed in Photoshop. :)

    The scanner (Epson V750 Pro) works like a charm. With the 120 film
    holder it detects all the individual shots and scans them separately.
    The quality of the scanner is outstanding.

    The camera and lens is outstanding as well. I have the 90mm/1.9 lens
    which has some amazing blur! The bokeh in this shot is very nice:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonaseklundh/7285031632

    And the DOF is amazing in shots like this one:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonaseklundh/7285029364

    I'm also comparing this shot:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonaseklundh/7285030180

    With this one:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonaseklundh/7285126350

    The latter is taken with my D3S and the 85mm 1.4/G lens which has
    *amazing* blur, which I think outdoes the Sekor lens on the Mamiya

    (also, it's fun to see the difference in framing of medium format 90mm
    and full frame 85mm)

    Either way, this has been super fun, I will shoot some color photos as
    soon as possible and get the lab to develop them correctly, and then
    post about that here as well :)

    --
    Sandman[.net]
    Sandman, May 28, 2012

  2. On Mon, 28 May 2012 09:37:24 +0200, Sandman wrote:
    > Unfortunately, the lab had mistakenly developed my color Portra 160-film
    > as black and white film, so no color photos as of yet :/

    That doesn't bode particularly well, since the developer type is written
    on the side of the roll. You might have to hunt around for another lab.
    Still, the development seems to have worked out OK as B/W.

    > You can see the photos I picked out here:
    >
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonaseklundh/sets/72157629930160324/

    Nice work!

    > So, these are the photos I liked the most, there were tons of shots that
    > were hopelessly out of focus. Focusing manually with a 1.9 lens is damn
    > hard for a newbie! :)

    You get used to it fairly quickly. I prefer manual focus, now.

    > So, after having developed the shots, I noticed when I scanned them that
    > they had TONS of dust on them. I looked at thelens and noticed it had
    > some dust *inside* the lens. But probably not enough for all the dust in
    > the scans. Realized that my scanner was a bit dusty as well, but still,
    > this is an old camera, dust will always be there in some way or another.
    > Easily fixed in Photoshop. :)

    Dust is my nemesis, too. You need great care, a clean environment, dust
    cloths and a blower of some sort. The scanner's ICE mechanism is
    supposed to be able to edit-out dust on colour film, but it doesn't work
    on black and white. Best approach is to avoid it as much as possible and
    then get to work, spotting in post.

    Cheers,

    --
    Andrew Reilly
    Andrew Reilly, May 28, 2012

  3. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    In article <>,
    Andrew Reilly <> wrote:

    > > Unfortunately, the lab had mistakenly developed my color Portra 160-film
    > > as black and white film, so no color photos as of yet :/

    > That doesn't bode particularly well, since the developer type is written
    > on the side of the roll. You might have to hunt around for another lab.
    > Still, the development seems to have worked out OK as B/W.

    Yes, I had to fix the contrast slightly in PS, but other than that, no
    worries. They apologized and said they should have seen it and I got
    two rolls of film and the development for free, and since I was just
    testing, I didn't want to make a fuzz about it. I was shooting a
    wedding or anything :)

    > > You can see the photos I picked out here:
    > >
    > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonaseklundh/sets/72157629930160324/

    > Nice work!

    Thanks! :)

    > > So, these are the photos I liked the most, there were tons of shots that
    > > were hopelessly out of focus. Focusing manually with a 1.9 lens is damn
    > > hard for a newbie! :)

    > You get used to it fairly quickly. I prefer manual focus, now.

    Oh? Yeah, well the incredbly short DOF makes it hard, but I suppose
    I'll learn :)

    > > So, after having developed the shots, I noticed when I scanned them that
    > > they had TONS of dust on them. I looked at thelens and noticed it had
    > > some dust *inside* the lens. But probably not enough for all the dust in
    > > the scans. Realized that my scanner was a bit dusty as well, but still,
    > > this is an old camera, dust will always be there in some way or another.
    > > Easily fixed in Photoshop. :)

    > Dust is my nemesis, too. You need great care, a clean environment, dust
    > cloths and a blower of some sort. The scanner's ICE mechanism is
    > supposed to be able to edit-out dust on colour film, but it doesn't work
    > on black and white. Best approach is to avoid it as much as possible and
    > then get to work, spotting in post.

    Indeed! :)

    --
    Sandman[.net]
    Sandman, May 28, 2012
  4. Andrew Reilly <> wrote:

    > Dust is my nemesis, too. You need great care, a clean environment, dust
    > cloths and a blower of some sort. The scanner's ICE mechanism is
    > supposed to be able to edit-out dust on colour film, but it doesn't work
    > on black and white.

    That is untrue. It doesn't work with silver based film (including
    Kodachrome, which is colour) and it works with non-silver based
    film (even if it's monochrome). Silver does not let IR pass.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, May 28, 2012
  5. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    In article <>,
    "Russell D." <> wrote:

    > On 05/28/2012 01:37 AM, Sandman wrote:
    > > So I got my film developed last week and used my Epson V750 scanner to
    > > scan them in.
    > >
    > > Unfortunately, the lab had mistakenly developed my color Portra
    > > 160-film as black and white film, so no color photos as of yet :/
    > >
    > > You can see the photos I picked out here:
    > >
    > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonaseklundh/sets/72157629930160324/
    > >

    > Very nice. I don't think any of those photos would have been better in
    > color.

    While that may be true, I am still curious as to how the "excellent
    skin tones" of the Portra 160 measures up to shots from my D3S. But
    time will tell :)

    --
    Sandman[.net]
    Sandman, May 30, 2012