    pretty sad.

    Thanks for any help you can give me here, because this is incredibly
    disconcerting.

    Steve, Jun 4, 2006

  2. Steve

    Miller Guest

    *Steve* wrote on 04.06.06 21:35:
    > Today when I started my computer my Firefox refused to start up. It says
    > that my smime3.dll is missing and that all I can do is reinstall it. The
    > trouble is, the install program quits immedietly without explaination. So
    > I have to use frikking Internet Explorer.

    http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?smime3

    HTH, Miller

    Miller, Jun 4, 2006

  3. Steve

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 19:35:32 -0000, in message <Xns97D88A450DC65steveringtripnet@216.168.3.50>,
    Steve wrote:

    > Can anyone tell me, what could possibly cause this problem?

    I suggest that you run scandisk, including a surface scan.

    > Firefox
    > updated itself the other day (without asking me first, dman it!)

    This is a configuration setting. I have Firefox set to notify me
    of updates but not to automatically download them.

    http://www.mozilla.com/support/

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    "Curiosity skilled the cat."

    Ralph Fox, Jun 4, 2006
  4. Steve

    Justin Guest

    Steve wrote on [Sun, 04 Jun 2006 19:35:32 -0000]:
    > Today when I started my computer my Firefox refused to start up. It says
    > that my smime3.dll is missing and that all I can do is reinstall it. The
    > trouble is, the install program quits immedietly without explaination. So
    > I have to use frikking Internet Explorer.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me, what could possibly cause this problem? Firefox
    > updated itself the other day (without asking me first, dman it!) Could this
    > be the problem? Could a hacker cause this to happen? Is there a problem
    > going around? Why doesn't Firefox have an actual customer support? I have

    Hmm, is the application free and do you know how to use google?

    Justin, Jun 4, 2006
  5. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Miller <> wrote in

    > *Steve* wrote on 04.06.06 21:35:
    >> Today when I started my computer my Firefox refused to start up. It
    >> says that my smime3.dll is missing and that all I can do is reinstall
    >> it. The trouble is, the install program quits immedietly without
    >> explaination. So I have to use frikking Internet Explorer.

    > http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?smime3
    >
    > HTH, Miller

    I tried reinstalling it into a new folder. And it worked. Booom, there
    are all my bookmarks and homepage and settings back like nothing happened.
    Funny thing is, even though it told me the smime3.dll file was missing, it
    was sitting right there in the old folder. I am relieved the problem has,
    for all intensive purposes, vanished, but I worry that something is amiss.

    Anyway, thanks.

    Steve, Jun 4, 2006
  6. Steve

    Neon Knight Guest

    Steve <> wrote in

    > I am relieved the problem has, for all intensive purposes,

    For all intensive purposes?

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

    Neon Knight, Jun 4, 2006
  7. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Neon Knight <> wrote in news:Xns97D8A91ADFAD419knightofneon20@
    216.196.97.136:

    > Steve <> wrote in
    >
    >> I am relieved the problem has, for all intensive purposes,

    > For all intensive purposes?
    >
    > BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

    Obviously, that was an invitation for ridicule. Thanks.

    Steve, Jun 4, 2006
  8. Steve

    gwtc Guest

    Steve wrote:

    > Miller <> wrote in
    >

    >>*Steve* wrote on 04.06.06 21:35:
    >>
    >>>Today when I started my computer my Firefox refused to start up. It
    >>>says that my smime3.dll is missing and that all I can do is reinstall
    >>>it. The trouble is, the install program quits immedietly without
    >>>explaination. So I have to use frikking Internet Explorer.

    >>http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?smime3
    >>
    >>HTH, Miller

    > I tried reinstalling it into a new folder. And it worked. Booom, there
    > are all my bookmarks and homepage and settings back like nothing happened.
    > Funny thing is, even though it told me the smime3.dll file was missing, it
    > was sitting right there in the old folder. I am relieved the problem has,
    > for all intensive purposes, vanished, but I worry that something is amiss.
    >
    > Anyway, thanks.

    since you've got it installed and working properly, if you don't want
    the automatic updates, then turn it off: Tools, Options, Advanced, Update.

    --
    You know you need a new housekeeper when: the Online Housekeepers
    instructs you to attach the vacuum cleaner and mop to your computer's

    gwtc, Jun 5, 2006
  9. Steve

    Steve Guest

    gwtc <37> wrote in news::

    > Steve wrote:
    >
    >> Miller <> wrote in

    >>>http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?smime3
    >>>
    >>>HTH, Miller

    >> I tried reinstalling it into a new folder. And it worked. Booom,
    >> there are all my bookmarks and homepage and settings back like
    >> nothing happened. Funny thing is, even though it told me the
    >> smime3.dll file was missing, it was sitting right there in the old
    >> folder. I am relieved the problem has, for all intensive purposes,
    >> vanished, but I worry that something is amiss.
    >>
    >> Anyway, thanks.

    > since you've got it installed and working properly, if you don't want
    > the automatic updates, then turn it off: Tools, Options, Advanced,
    > Update.

    Much obliged!

    Steve, Jun 5, 2006
  10. Steve

    Z Guest

    Neon Knight wrote:
    >> I am relieved the problem has, for all intensive purposes,

    > For all intensive purposes?
    > BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

    Welcome to the land of fonicks.

    "Another words" ... "I should of know" ... etc etc

    Z, Jun 5, 2006
  11. Steve

    Justin Guest

    Steve wrote on [Sun, 04 Jun 2006 22:11:43 -0000]:
    > Neon Knight <> wrote in news:Xns97D8A91ADFAD419knightofneon20@
    > 216.196.97.136:
    >
    >> Steve <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I am relieved the problem has, for all intensive purposes,

    >> For all intensive purposes?
    >>
    >> BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!
    >>

    > Obviously, that was an invitation for ridicule. Thanks.

    If you write like a moron expect to be treated like one.

    Justin, Jun 5, 2006
  12. Steve

    Justin Guest

    Z wrote on [Sun, 04 Jun 2006 18:18:10 -0700]:
    > Neon Knight wrote:
    >>> I am relieved the problem has, for all intensive purposes,

    >> For all intensive purposes?
    >> BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

    > Welcome to the land of fonicks.
    >
    > "Another words" ... "I should of know" ... etc etc

    walla

    Justin, Jun 5, 2006
  13. Steve

    ameya27

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    I'm suffering from the same problem, but unlike you it wasnt my firefox which updated but rather Windows XP security updates which screwed up my firefox....it also corrupted my sound drivers, had to reinstall those too!!!

    I hate stupid patches which fix something and ruin another...grrrrrrr

    ameya27, Apr 4, 2007