My experiences with personal and small business VOIP

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by relaxandchillout@gmail.com, Jun 21, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Fwiw I have been a user of VOIP for about three years and I summarise
    my experiences so far as follows:

    BT/BBV - I used this a lot first on a Cisco ATA 186 then on BT Voyager
    10v. The call quality and connectivity has always been excellent but
    dealing with BT is a pain. This was made worse when they 'upgraded' me
    from an 055 No. to an 056 No. (which introduced limited connectivity
    from a number of cable and mobile operators!) They seem expensive for
    small business use (UK landlines) so reluctantly I wont be going this
    way...

    Sipgate - Their web interface, voice mail and free inbound No. were
    great only the call quality I have had to UK landlines has been very
    patchy/ropey sometimes unusable! (I was using the Cisco ATA 186 - I
    suppose I will always wonder if a more modern ATA perhaps with a
    different Codec would have been better - or was/is their network in UK
    just cr**)

    Skype - I have been very impressed with Skype-to-Skype quality and
    reliability but far less so with Skypeout. Skypeout is just so patchy
    for UK landlines. My experience would be 1 call in 3 perfect, 1 in 3
    with drop outs and 1 in 3 total cr** thus I couldn't currently
    recommend Skypeout for business use... (Their SMS and audio
    conferencing stuff is nice though).

    So I am now going to give Gradwell with the Camrivox Flexor 151 a
    try...

    Cheers,
    Stefan

    , Jun 21, 2007

  2. Mark Guest

    On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 15:02:51 -0000, wrote:

    >Fwiw I have been a user of VOIP for about three years and I summarise
    >my experiences so far as follows:
    >
    >BT/BBV - I used this a lot first on a Cisco ATA 186 then on BT Voyager
    >10v. The call quality and connectivity has always been excellent but
    >dealing with BT is a pain. This was made worse when they 'upgraded' me
    >from an 055 No. to an 056 No. (which introduced limited connectivity
    >from a number of cable and mobile operators!) They seem expensive for
    >small business use (UK landlines) so reluctantly I wont be going this
    >way...

    No surprise there, really.

    >Sipgate - Their web interface, voice mail and free inbound No. were
    >great only the call quality I have had to UK landlines has been very
    >patchy/ropey sometimes unusable! (I was using the Cisco ATA 186 - I
    >suppose I will always wonder if a more modern ATA perhaps with a
    >different Codec would have been better - or was/is their network in UK
    >just cr**)

    <Can't comment.> But I'm sure others will ;-)

    >Skype - I have been very impressed with Skype-to-Skype quality and
    >reliability but far less so with Skypeout. Skypeout is just so patchy
    >for UK landlines. My experience would be 1 call in 3 perfect, 1 in 3
    >with drop outs and 1 in 3 total cr** thus I couldn't currently
    >recommend Skypeout for business use... (Their SMS and audio
    >conferencing stuff is nice though).

    That appears to be a very common experience.

    >So I am now going to give Gradwell with the Camrivox Flexor 151 a
    >try...

    You should also try Voipfone too.

    Mark, Jun 21, 2007

  3. News Reader Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Fwiw I have been a user of VOIP for about three years and I summarise
    > my experiences so far as follows:
    >
    > BT/BBV - I used this a lot first on a Cisco ATA 186 then on BT Voyager
    > 10v. The call quality and connectivity has always been excellent but
    > dealing with BT is a pain. This was made worse when they 'upgraded' me
    > from an 055 No. to an 056 No. (which introduced limited connectivity
    > from a number of cable and mobile operators!) They seem expensive for
    > small business use (UK landlines) so reluctantly I wont be going this
    > way...
    >
    > Sipgate - Their web interface, voice mail and free inbound No. were
    > great only the call quality I have had to UK landlines has been very
    > patchy/ropey sometimes unusable! (I was using the Cisco ATA 186 - I
    > suppose I will always wonder if a more modern ATA perhaps with a
    > different Codec would have been better - or was/is their network in UK
    > just cr**)
    >
    > Skype - I have been very impressed with Skype-to-Skype quality and
    > reliability but far less so with Skypeout. Skypeout is just so patchy
    > for UK landlines. My experience would be 1 call in 3 perfect, 1 in 3
    > with drop outs and 1 in 3 total cr** thus I couldn't currently
    > recommend Skypeout for business use... (Their SMS and audio
    > conferencing stuff is nice though).
    >
    > So I am now going to give Gradwell with the Camrivox Flexor 151 a
    > try...
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Stefan

    Hi,

    If their pricing suits you, whilst I am reluctant to use them (price
    suitability), quality is exceptional with very little downtime, etc. re: the
    Betamax family (VoipCheap.com, etc., etc.).

    Best wishes,

    News Reader

    News Reader, Jun 21, 2007