My experience with WinXP Pro x64 install

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by PJB, Sep 8, 2005.

  1. PJB

    PJB Guest

    I thought I would let those who are interested know about my x64 install.

    I looked at all the websites regarding 64 bit, including forums and decided
    I might as build a fast system as a test bed for my clients. I also sell the
    Epson wide format printers which require large files some 1Gbyte or more
    using Photoshop.

    In the end I choose a Tyan 2895 nVidia dual processor m/board with 2 x
    2.6Ghz Dual Layer Opteron Processors, 8 Gb Ram, 2 x 160Gb Sata 7200 rpm HDD,
    GeForce 6600 256MbVideo, DVD+RW, 650w P/supply and a purchased OEM Win XP
    Pro x64.
    I tried to d/l a trial version but MS never returned an email after I
    registered. Since reading the forums I discovered that the trial may not
    include alot of the drivers.
    Anyway I installed Windows as if it was Win XP pro and everything went
    perfectly. No F6 for sata drivers required as they were included on the
    Disk.
    I did d/l the nVidia drivers for my audio, but otherwise all went well.

    I have not experienced any problems with IE 64bit or with P/Shop or anything
    else yet.
    Epson supplied all the 64 bit drivers for my printers and scanner and they
    installed perfectly. My old HP LaserJet 5 had the drivers on the Win x64 CD.

    Currently I have been testing on and off all week and never had a crash
    except a few error messages with some 32 bit software that x64 didn't like.

    My major problem is with the SBS2000 firewall client software not installing
    onto XP 64 but I would expect that. I cannot use OE thru my server due to
    that, so I connected my NIC directly to the router to get around this
    problem in the meantime.

    By the way P/Shop opens in about 7 secs. But takes about 3 minutes to resize
    1.65Gb file compared to 23 minutes on my P4 3.0Ghz 2Gb Ram PC.

    For my clients I will be using larger drives, and later a version of the
    motherboard and probably more Ram, I could only get 1Gb pieces. This board
    has 8 Ram skts and 2 x 1Gb Nics. So it is well featured for the graphics
    market I am supplying.

    Hope this helps anyone wanting to start with 64 bit computing.

    Peter Banks
    Wellington, NZ

    PJB, Sep 8, 2005

  2. Nice machine! And similar specs to one I've been considering building as a
    dedicated Virtual Server machine.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64