My experience with Vonage

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Andrew Hodgson, Sep 7, 2005.

  1. Hi all,

    I recently signed up with Vonage expecting crap service after reading
    reports of voicemail being unavaliable for long periods etc. I
    realise I have only been on day 2 so far, but so far we haven't had an
    issue with the system at all! I realise its like buying a computer
    from PC World, in that you are spoon fed, but for someone who wanted a
    plug-in solution so that people can make calls for long periods
    without tying up our main phone line (which in the past people phoned
    up wishing to talk to someone about funerals and got call waiting
    messages) it works very well.

    I just plugged the box in, it picked up one of my public addresses
    from our DHCP server, and other than plugging the phone in the wrong
    port, it worked first time! So far we have used over 4 hours of time
    on it, and I have downloaded several files in the background, even
    though no QOS was being used, as I don't have the internet connection
    going through the box. Our incoming number worked even after not
    opening up any of the ports on the firewall (I did eventually tie it
    down to one address), and someone has left a voicemail message which I
    got ok using *123 and entering in the pin number.

    Our caller ID works fine on a cheap CLID box I have, and I tested call
    waiting which works fine (though the user who phones doesn't know they
    are waiting for someone to finish on another call, and it just goes
    straight to answerphone after so many seconds).

    Other than a short period when my gf said it sounded a bit like a
    mobile phone call for a few seconds last night, it sounds very good.

    Its also very useful seeing how much time you have used in near
    realtime and also which numbers have been dialed and which numbers are
    coming in, especially as I can't see the CLID box very well as I am
    visually impaired.

    So I am quite happy with the service, and unless you are really
    bothered about mucking about with the box, or unless you have a
    complex VOIP setup with multiple accounts etc, I would recommend it.

    Andrew.
    My Email: use <andrew at hodgsonfamily dot org>.
    Andrew Hodgson, Sep 7, 2005

  2. Andrew Hodgson

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Andrew Hodgson" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > So I am quite happy with the service, and unless you are
    > really bothered about mucking about with the box, or
    > unless you have a complex VOIP setup with multiple
    > accounts etc, I would recommend it.

    That's good to hear. For me though, the monthly charge is a no-no, as is
    the locked equipment. I like to be able to access the settings of my
    equipment, I also like the choice of what equipment to use.

    Glad it works for you though.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Sep 7, 2005

  3. Andrew Hodgson

    Phil Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message

    > "Andrew Hodgson" <> wrote in message
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    >> So I am quite happy with the service, and unless you are
    >> really bothered about mucking about with the box, or
    >> unless you have a complex VOIP setup with multiple
    >> accounts etc, I would recommend it.

    > That's good to hear. For me though, the monthly charge is a no-no, as is
    > the locked equipment. I like to be able to access the settings of my
    > equipment, I also like the choice of what equipment to use.
    >
    > Glad it works for you though.
    >
    > Ivor
    >

    >> Andrew.

    Have to agree with the OP. I've been on Vonage for about 3 months and the
    service has been 100% reliable. Would recommend them to anyone.
    Phil, Sep 8, 2005
  4. Andrew Hodgson

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Phil" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > Have to agree with the OP. I've been on Vonage for about
    > 3 months and the service has been 100% reliable. Would
    > recommend them to anyone.

    Fine, I have no problem with that, but as I said I don't like the charges
    or the inability to use what equipment *I* want rather than what they want
    to supply.

    Each to his own, I just get ratty when certain individuals moan at me for
    recommending what *I* like.

    All the best,

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Sep 8, 2005
  5. Andrew Hodgson

    T. Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:

    > Fine, I have no problem with that, but as I said I don't like the charges
    > or the inability to use what equipment *I* want rather than what they want
    > to supply.

    I just found this on their web site:

    http://www.vonage.co.uk/features.php?feature=softphone

    Can I assume that this means they do supply details so you can connect
    using your own kit/software?
    T., Sep 8, 2005
  6. On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 10:54:04 +0100, "T." <>
    wrote:

    >Can I assume that this means they do supply details so you can connect
    >using your own kit/software?

    no, you can assume you download a pre-configured softphone into which
    you put your minimal details and the rest is hidden. I believe it has
    a different number, and gems like "Unfortunately you cannot change a
    SoftPhone number. You will need to cancel your SoftPhone then re-sign
    up for a new number. Re-activation fees will apply."

    corrections welcome :)

    Phil
    --
    Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :)
    Phil Thompson, Sep 8, 2005
  7. Andrew Hodgson

    davew Guest

    > no, you can assume you download a pre-configured softphone into which
    > you put your minimal details and the rest is hidden. I believe it has
    > a different number, and gems like "Unfortunately you cannot change a
    > SoftPhone number. You will need to cancel your SoftPhone then re-sign
    > up for a new number. Re-activation fees will apply."
    >
    > corrections welcome :)
    >
    > Phil

    I don't use Vonage - but it seems that if your a vonage user, you can
    add a softphone user to your account. It would seem that it is limited
    in some form.

    Although this is US details; it's gonna be compariable:
    Softphone Additional Info:
    $9.99 per month for 500 minutes
    3.9 ยข per additional minute
    $9.99 activation fee
    Included Features are: caller ID, call forwarding, voice mail, 3-way
    calling, call hunt, call transfer, caller ID block, International call
    block.
    Must have a separate number assigned to the Softphone. There is no limit
    to the amount of Softphones a customer can purchase No Termination Fee
    to cancel Softphone

    Then once you have added the softphone to your account, try:
    SIP Server: sip.vonage.net
    Outbound Proxy: sphone.vopr.vonage.net
    SIP User ID: 14161234567 (YOUR phone number)
    Authenticate ID: 14161234567
    Authenticate Password: (NOT used)
    Name: (optional, e.g., John Doe)

    Regards,
    Dave
    davew, Sep 8, 2005
  8. Andrew Hodgson

    Guest

    On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 01:06:30 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >Each to his own, I just get ratty when certain individuals moan at me for
    >recommending what *I* like.

    Has I have said on many occasions about different things some people
    will put up with anything providing they are getting it for free or
    nearly free while others are prepared to spend a small amount of money
    and have quality services and goods .
    , Sep 8, 2005
  9. Andrew Hodgson

    Guest

    On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 00:57:53 +0100, "Phil" <> wrote:

    >Have to agree with the OP. I've been on Vonage for about 3 months and the
    >service has been 100% reliable. Would recommend them to anyone.

    Vonage are one of the best providers in the country at the moment Phil
    and the voicemail woks 100% of the time and is in the English language
    ..
    , Sep 8, 2005
  10. Andrew Hodgson

    Ivor Jones Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 01:06:30 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > > Each to his own, I just get ratty when certain
    > > individuals moan at me for recommending what *I* like.

    > Has I have said on many occasions about different things

    "Has" I have said..?

    How do you expect to be taken seriously when you have such a limited
    command of the English language..?

    > some people will put up with anything providing they are
    > getting it for free or nearly free while others are
    > prepared to spend a small amount of money and have
    > quality services and goods .

    Quality is irrelevant if I cannot use *my* equipment and configure it how
    *I* want to.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Sep 8, 2005

  11. > Vonage are one of the best providers in the country at the moment

    They are not in this country at all vonage and there servers are in the
    US hence the reason i read posts regarding latency problems when you
    call the UK your call goes all the way to the US and back to the UK
    again before your call is connected people will see this more when
    there are transatlantic routing issues as there quite often are.

    Mat
    Mathew Curtis, Sep 8, 2005
  12. Andrew Hodgson

    Guest

    On 8 Sep 2005 09:03:52 -0700, "Mathew Curtis"
    <> wrote:

    >> Vonage are one of the best providers in the country at the moment

    >They are not in this country at all vonage and there servers are in the
    >US hence the reason i read posts regarding latency problems when you
    >call the UK your call goes all the way to the US and back to the UK
    >again before your call is connected people will see this more when
    >there are transatlantic routing issues as there quite often are.
    >
    >Mat

    Ah so this is a bogus address they are using is it Mat .
    Vonage UK
    Queen's Wharf
    Queen Caroline Street
    London
    W6 9RJ
    , Sep 8, 2005
  13. Andrew Hodgson

    SK Guest

    VONAGE--Full company details here

    Rating

    Recently Established
    Monthly Credit Guide GBP 0
    Risk Category ABOVE NORMAL RISK
    Official Company Data
    Legal Form Private Limited
    Registration Number 05199171
    Date of Incorporation 06/08/2004
    Registered Office 2 TEMPLE BACK EAST, TEMPLE QUAY, BRISTOL, BS1 6EG.
    History 24/09/2004 : Change of name from OVAL (1993) LIMITED.

    Accounting Reference Date 31/12
    Historical Graydon Rating
    Date Graydon Rating Monthly Credit Guide
    09/08/2005 N 0
    09/05/2005 N 0
    09/02/2005 N 2,000
    09/11/2004 N 2,000
    Public Record Information
    Summary of CCJ's/Scottish Decrees
    No CCJs/Scottish Decrees are recorded in our file.

    Other Filings and Notices
    Date Source Description
    16/07/2005 Companies House Gazette Change among the directors of a
    company
    28/10/2004 Companies House Gazette Change among the directors of a
    company
    07/10/2004 Companies House Gazette Change among the directors of a
    company
    Company Secretary
    Secretary DAVID ANDREW ERIC TEALL
    Address 22 THORNHILL BRIDGE WHARF, CALEDONIAN ROAD, LONDON, N1 0RU.
    Country of Origin AUSTRALIA
    Date of Birth 12/08/1977
    Appointment Date 12/07/2005
    Directors
    Chairman JEFFREY CITRON
    Address 818 LINDEN LANE, BRIELLE, NJ, 08730.
    Country of Origin USA
    Date of Birth 05/09/1970
    Appointment Date 24/09/2004

    Director
    HARRY WELLER
    Address 5360 MACARTHUR BLVD, NW, WASHINGTON DC, 20016.
    Country of Origin USA
    Date of Birth 23/12/1969
    Appointment Date 24/09/2004

    Director
    MORTON E DAVID
    Address 33 STONEBRIDGE ROAD, MONTCLAIR, NEW JERSEY 07042.
    Country of Origin USA
    Date of Birth 04/08/1936
    Appointment Date 24/09/2004
    Other Directorships THE NEW VISION FACTORY LIMITED

    Managing Director
    KERRY RITZ
    Address 18 HOLST MANSIONS, 96 WYATT DRIVE, LONDON, SW13 8AJ.
    Country of Origin UNITED KINGDOM
    Date of Birth 07/12/1958
    Appointment Date 12/07/2005
    Other Directorships GREAT RIVER LIMITED
    Payment Analysis
    ( No Payment Analysis Data is Available )

    Financial Data
    No accounts filed since inception. We anticipate that accounts will be
    filed at Companies House and available for inspection within 22 month from
    the date of incorporation.

    *** End of Report on VONAGE LIMITED ***
    SK, Sep 8, 2005
  14. wrote:
    > On 8 Sep 2005 09:03:52 -0700, "Mathew Curtis"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > >> Vonage are one of the best providers in the country at the moment

    > >They are not in this country at all vonage and there servers are in the
    > >US hence the reason i read posts regarding latency problems when you
    > >call the UK your call goes all the way to the US and back to the UK
    > >again before your call is connected people will see this more when
    > >there are transatlantic routing issues as there quite often are.
    > >
    > >Mat

    > Ah so this is a bogus address they are using is it Mat .
    > Vonage UK
    > Queen's Wharf
    > Queen Caroline Street
    > London
    > W6 9RJ

    Dex its a postal address do a google for Queen's Wharf Queen Caroline
    Street london there are 100's of companys with the same address

    Mat
    Mathew Curtis, Sep 8, 2005
  15. Andrew Hodgson

    SK Guest

    thick t*** we know that have you ever been to that address , no you havent
    and anyway thats not even teh registered office or anything
    SK, Sep 8, 2005
  16. > >Mat
    > Ah so this is a bogus address they are using is it Mat .
    > Vonage UK
    > Queen's Wharf
    > Queen Caroline Street
    > London
    > W6 9RJ

    I suppose they imported a load of yanks to that address to answer the
    phones too did they dex "wake up and smell the roses"

    Mat
    Mathew Curtis, Sep 8, 2005
  17. Andrew Hodgson

    SK Guest

    dick weed he was merely pointing out it was a mailing address, you really
    dont have a clue about vonage do you ro how they operate, i most certainly
    do bearing in mind i have a financial connection with them, albeit a small
    one.
    SK, Sep 8, 2005
  18. On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 12:39:44 +0100, davew
    <daviey.walker*SPAM*virgin.net> wrote:

    >> no, you can assume you download a pre-configured softphone into which
    >> you put your minimal details and the rest is hidden. I believe it has
    >> a different number, and gems like "Unfortunately you cannot change a
    >> SoftPhone number. You will need to cancel your SoftPhone then re-sign
    >> up for a new number. Re-activation fees will apply."
    >>
    >> corrections welcome :)
    >>
    >> Phil

    >I don't use Vonage - but it seems that if your a vonage user, you can
    >add a softphone user to your account. It would seem that it is limited
    >in some form.

    For the record I will never be doing this as it goes against the grain
    to pay extra for this and not have the choice of thw software,
    especially since I may be using totally different/incompatible
    software on the same machine. The hardware is less of an issue for
    me, but no the software really would be an issue.

    Andrew Hodgson, Sep 8, 2005
  19. SK wrote:
    > dick weed he was merely pointing out it was a mailing address, you really
    > dont have a clue about vonage do you ro how they operate, i most certainly
    > do bearing in mind i have a financial connection with them, albeit a small
    > one.

    Then you will be able to tell us what uk data centre their servers are
    located in wont you "dick weed"

    Mat
    Mathew Curtis, Sep 8, 2005
  20. Andrew Hodgson

    SK Guest

    who cares where their servers are--the service is FLAWLESS,better than any
    other crap"free" service such as sipgate/voipfone etc,etc and they will soon
    become the dominating force in the voip industry weed breath.
    SK, Sep 8, 2005