My experience so far with the Gateway Connected DVD Player

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Cow King's Jester, Sep 30, 2003.

  1. Posting it here just in case it gets bad press with C-Net and/or
    Gateway (I'm paranoid about living in a free society [no offense
    C-Net) and/or Gateway ;) :
    "How would you rate this product?"
    Value: 3/10
    "Service and Support:"
    Value: 1/10
    (I was on-line with Gateway support via chat for 2 hours, and the
    technician never even answered my question, I think they are still
    supporting computers and not home electronics, although they are
    advertising that they sell home electronics at the moment)
    "Quality and Reliability:"
    Value: 2/10
    (Well, it used to work for me until I applied a new firmware update
    advertised on their site. I'm very regretful that I ever applied the
    firmware update. :) )
    "Features:"
    Value: 9/10
    They introduced a "static IP" feature with the new firmware (or you
    can still use DHCP), and keying in numbers/letters for a 128 bit
    Wireless Encrypted Network is much nicer now, however, the technical
    features do not outweigh the drawbacks of applying this firmware.
    "One-line summary:"
    Lacking formats, new firmware even worse!
    (The new firmware does not support quicktime or asf files. No big
    deal, not too many people use these formats anymore, and the ones that
    do have conversion tools.)
    "Product Pros:"
    This DVD Player is an incredible multi-format player, though somewhat
    limited at the current moment to MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 video standards. A
    strong player in the "connected" wireless home future! The GUI
    interface is incredibly nice with the new firmware. Let's just hope a
    better firmware comes out from Gateway our a third party developer can
    do better.
    "Product Cons:"
    I just applied the new firmware to it tonight and found it somewhat
    lacking. The new firmware is version 1.22a and was released
    08/05/2003. I was anxious for Gateway to release a new firmware so
    that I can play additional formats, however, when I attempted to play
    any type of video encoded with even old standards it came in blocky at
    best. This occurence happens with all .mpg videos attempted to be
    played from a server to Gateway's DVD Player. If you have purchased
    this product, by all means, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT, update the
    firmware or you will encompass problems as I have. For now I think I'm
    going to resort to contacting Gateway tomorrow for an old firmware
    release to fix my current problems and wait until the next available.
    My problems are that current ".mpg" videos being streamed from a
    server via the "Gateway D5 Media Server" are coming in blocky and at a
    very lossy format (however, they still play - but who would want to
    watch them heh?). If you would like to "beta test" their new firmware,
    it is located at
    http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/search.asp?st=pn&param=2519945.
    I would definitely be interested in any other consumers' opinions. For
    me, it feels like for $250, I bought a little toy that does nothing
    (literally now since I applied the new firmware).

    Well, that's all I have to say for now I suppose. I've been doing
    quite a bit of research on the web for this DVD player and the fact
    that they threw in a wireless router at the time with the $250
    purchase made it worthwhile, however, I'm having 2nd opinions about
    the DVD/(supposed Media player). I'm almost wondering if the money
    would have been more well spent towards the purchase of a low-end
    processor laptop with composite out and RCA out to my audio??!?

    Any comments?

    Ray

    Cow King's Jester, Sep 30, 2003

  2. Got it to work! Download this software and use it with the Gateway DVD
    Player. Works great. Also check out the conversation on
    alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 for additional links.

    In other words, I retract the below, but still, would like to comment
    that support from Gateway concerning their product really is horrible.
    They should have posted the software release with their new firmware
    release on their web site.

    On 28 Sep 2003 07:37:07 -0700, (Sam Doan) wrote:

    >I found out that Gateway, GoVideo and Oritron use the same media
    >server software that made by Digital 5. And it seems to me that
    >GoVideo and Gateway don't want to pay for the full program. Anyway,
    >go to http://www.onmediadvd.com/onmediadvd/Index.htm to download the
    >Onmedia program and install in your pc. Also download the manual
    >because the program will ask for a cd key and it's in the manual. Good
    >luck.

    Thomas Sebastian, Oct 4, 2003

  3. Cow King's Jester

    Bayard Guest

    In using the slideshow feature there are two defaults that I would
    like to change/eliminate:
    1. Is there anyway to turn off the "grey" caption line at the bottom
    of the screen that displays for a few seconds with each new slide?,
    and
    2. Is there a way to change the default delay between slides from 5
    seconds to something of your own choosing?

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Bayard, Oct 9, 2003