My Experence With iTunes for Windows

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Andrew Watiker, Oct 18, 2003.

  1. I recently installed iTunes for Windows on my computer running XP Home (see
    below for specs) and these are some of the things that I noticed in the
    first 48 hours. Upon installation iTunes tells you that it must install
    Quicktime 6.4. Now my connection is a 2Mbits Wireless connection so I don't
    mind the download time. However, I don't use Quicktime so why must I lose
    space and installation time to it. Installation didn't take too long but
    it tried to keep you from noticing it wanted to associate everything. After
    installation iTunes wanted a reboot. This reboot, I've found, is related to
    the CD-Burning capably. I don't understand why I have to install this
    feature when I don't even have a CD-Burner. Once I had rebooted I looked at
    the taskbar that showed a new Quicktime icon. I immediately headed to
    MSCONFIG to trash it and noticed two separate features listed there. QTTask
    and iTunes Helper. Of course, no information was available on why I would
    want these features and I knew from previous experience QTTask is a pain to
    remove. Next I decided to take a quick glance at services.msc to make sure
    nothing was placed there. Of course, iTunes had to put an "iPod Service"
    there. Keep in mind, I don't have an iPod at all. So I disable that. Now
    I can finally boot iTunes. iTunes takes a really long time to get to the
    "wizard like" startup screen. I decline both offers, 1) to import tracks to
    the library and 2) to go straight to the Music Store. The Music Store I
    cannot comment on directly, I haven't used it. I try to play an MP3 and the
    program crashes. I restart it and it does actually start however I noticed
    that right click features and very few and far between. Also the program is
    very, very slow. It takes forever to allow it do anything useful. The
    visualization were far to slow to even bother trying (they work okay on
    Winamp2 at low res). The radio frequently cuts out (I have only tried
    high-bandwith streams). It also, as I predicted, ignores my Nomad Jukebox
    3. At this time, I see no reason to use iTunes over Winamp2 for CD-Playing
    and CDex for CD-Ripping.

    Just for a little experiment I tested different Jukebox programs to see how
    much memory they use:

    iTunes (Paused): 20, 956k Playing: 21,956k
    Winamp2 (Paused): 2,340 k Playing: 3,580k
    Media Player 9 (Paused): 15,780 k Playing ~16,880k

    As you can see iTunes hogs much more memory then Winamp and a little more
    the Windows Media Player.

    System Specs:
    Pentium III 600 Mhz.
    256 MB PC-100 RAM
    Nvidia Riva TNT2 Pro 32MB (Asus)
    Creative SoundBlaster Audio PCI 128
    802.11b Wireless Connection
    16x DVD-ROM Drive
    12.2 GB Hard Drive - 1.39GB Free.
    Total 20GB Hard Drive (Dual Boot With Linux)
    Microsoft Windows XP (Service Pack 1)

    iTunes 4.1 System Requirements:
    Windows 2000, XP
    500 Mhz. Processor
    128 MB RAM (256 MB Recommended)
    Service Packs Recommended
    Supported CD-RW to Burn CDs
    Video Display Card, Soundcard

    Winamp2 System Requirements:

    Windows 95,98, 2000, NT 4
    486 Processor (Pentium Recommended)

    Windows Media Player 9 System Requirements:

    Windows 98SE, ME, 2000, XP (XP Recommended)
    233 Mhz. Processor (500 Mhz. Recommended)
    64MB Ram (128 MB Recommended)
    100MB Hard Disk Space (300 MB Recommended)
    CD/DVD Drive (CD-R or CD-RW Drive Recommended)
    28.8k Modem (56k Modem Recommended)
    16- Bit Sound Card (5.1 Surround Card Recommended)
    800x600 Display

    --
    Andrew Watiker

    Visit My Website: http://andrewwatiker.alturl.com
    or
    http://andrewwatiker.homeip.net:81

    "All We Are Saying is Give Peace a Chance."
    - John Lennon

    Peace & Love.

    ---

    Andrew Watiker, Oct 18, 2003

  2. Andrew Watiker

    Alan Guest

    Hey, at least it installed for you.
    I kept getting a message that the string name was not found and the
    install terminated.

    I installed it on a different computer (without a burner) bought an
    album and tried to burn the cd over my network. No dice. There is no
    burner available according to iTunes. And of course there is no way to
    conigure one though my burner is a mapped network drive on that
    computer.

    I give up.

    Too much trouble.

    Alan, Oct 20, 2003

  3. Andrew Watiker

    Night_Seer Guest

    Andrew Watiker wrote:
> [...]
    > 16x DVD-ROM Drive
    > 12.2 GB Hard Drive - 1.39GB Free.
    > Total 20GB Hard Drive (Dual Boot With Linux)
    > Microsoft Windows XP (Service Pack 1)
    >
    > iTunes 4.1 System Requirements:
    > Windows 2000, XP
    > 500 Mhz. Processor
    > 128 MB RAM (256 MB Recommended)
    > Service Packs Recommended
    > Supported CD-RW to Burn CDs
    > Video Display Card, Soundcard
    >
    > Winamp2 System Requirements:
    >
    > Windows 95,98, 2000, NT 4
    > 486 Processor (Pentium Recommended)
    >
    > Windows Media Player 9 System Requirements:
    >
    > Windows 98SE, ME, 2000, XP (XP Recommended)
    > 233 Mhz. Processor (500 Mhz. Recommended)
    > 64MB Ram (128 MB Recommended)
    > 100MB Hard Disk Space (300 MB Recommended)
    > CD/DVD Drive (CD-R or CD-RW Drive Recommended)
    > 28.8k Modem (56k Modem Recommended)
    > 16- Bit Sound Card (5.1 Surround Card Recommended)

    Thanks for that, I was reading about it as well, and its definately not
    something I will get into at this time...winamp is all I need.

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Oct 20, 2003
  4. In iTunes defense. Better hardware might (almost definitely) would help.

    --

    ---

    Andrew Watiker, Oct 21, 2003
  5. Andrew Watiker

    Night_Seer Guest

    Andrew Watiker wrote:
    > In iTunes defense. Better hardware might (almost definitely) would
    > help.

    That's a good defense for ANY program...take a bloated Windows XP...better
    hardware would most certainly help. As for iTunes, there's no reason it
    shouldn't run on that hardware. I'm sure Winamp would run nicely on it.

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Oct 21, 2003
  6. Winamp runs great on it! I can run visualizations and the whole bit.

    --
    Andrew Watiker

    Visit My Website: http://andrewwatiker.alturl.com
    or
    http://andrewwatiker.homeip.net:81

    "All We Are Saying is Give Peace a Chance."
    - John Lennon

    Peace & Love.
    > Andrew Watiker wrote:
    > > In iTunes defense. Better hardware might (almost definitely) would
    > > help.
    > >

    > That's a good defense for ANY program...take a bloated Windows XP...better
    > hardware would most certainly help. As for iTunes, there's no reason it
    > shouldn't run on that hardware. I'm sure Winamp would run nicely on it.
    >

    > --
    > Night_Seer

    ---

    Andrew Watiker, Oct 22, 2003
  7. Andrew Watiker

    Night_Seer Guest

    Andrew Watiker wrote:
    > Winamp runs great on it! I can run visualizations and the whole bit.

    My point exactly.

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Oct 22, 2003
  8. And even XP while not exactly "zippy" runs completely fine on my hardware.
    Just disable some of the services and you are good to go. I am much happier
    with my machine running XP then 98SE.

    --
    Andrew Watiker

    Visit My Website: http://andrewwatiker.alturl.com
    or
    http://andrewwatiker.homeip.net:81

    "All We Are Saying is Give Peace a Chance."
    - John Lennon

    Peace & Love.
    > Andrew Watiker wrote:
    > > Winamp runs great on it! I can run visualizations and the whole bit.
    > >

    > My point exactly.
    >

    > --
    > Night_Seer

    ---

    Andrew Watiker, Oct 22, 2003
  9. Andrew Watiker

    Night_Seer Guest

    Andrew Watiker wrote:
    > And even XP while not exactly "zippy" runs completely fine on my
    > hardware. Just disable some of the services and you are good to go.
    > I am much happier with my machine running XP then 98SE.
    >

    > Peace & Love.
    > "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
    >> Andrew Watiker wrote:
    >>> Winamp runs great on it! I can run visualizations and the whole
    >>> bit.
    >>>

    >> My point exactly.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Night_Seer
    >>

    > ---

    Yeah, I prefer it too. SO I guess we're gonna have to wait for iTunes
    version 2 or 3, but by then winamp will be winamp 5 and kick some serious
    ass.

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Oct 23, 2003
  10. I dunno about Winamp5, Winamp3 sucked so much that I don't have much trust
    in those developers anymore. Is there a good open-source alternative to
    Winamp. It must support authentication. It would be even better if it ran
    on Windows and Linux. XMMS appeared not to have authentication.

    --
    Andrew Watiker

    Visit My Website: http://andrewwatiker.alturl.com
    or
    http://andrewwatiker.homeip.net:81

    "All We Are Saying is Give Peace a Chance."
    - John Lennon

    Peace & Love.
    > Andrew Watiker wrote:
    > > And even XP while not exactly "zippy" runs completely fine on my
    > > hardware. Just disable some of the services and you are good to go.
    > > I am much happier with my machine running XP then 98SE.
    > >

    > > Peace & Love.
    > > "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
    > >>>

    > >> My point exactly.
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >> Night_Seer
    > >>

    > > ---

    > Yeah, I prefer it too. SO I guess we're gonna have to wait for iTunes
    > version 2 or 3, but by then winamp will be winamp 5 and kick some serious
    > ass.
    >
    > --
    > Night_Seer

    ---

    Andrew Watiker, Oct 23, 2003
  11. Andrew Watiker

    Night_Seer Guest

    Andrew Watiker wrote:
    > I dunno about Winamp5, Winamp3 sucked so much that I don't have much
    > trust in those developers anymore. Is there a good open-source
    > alternative to Winamp. It must support authentication. It would be
    > even better if it ran on Windows and Linux. XMMS appeared not to
    > have authentication.
    >

    > Peace & Love.
    > "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
    >> Andrew Watiker wrote:
    >>> And even XP while not exactly "zippy" runs completely fine on my
    >>> hardware. Just disable some of the services and you are good to go.
    >>> I am much happier with my machine running XP then 98SE.
    >>>

    >>> Peace & Love.
    >>> "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message

    >>> ---

    >> Yeah, I prefer it too. SO I guess we're gonna have to wait for
    >> iTunes version 2 or 3, but by then winamp will be winamp 5 and kick
    >> some serious ass.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Night_Seer
    >>

    > ---

    Well winamp 5 seems to be built on winamp 2 technology (not winamp 3,
    they realized their mistake), but with more winamp 3 features...but like you
    I am sceptical too. I'm not really sure what you mean by authentication,
    but if you want barebones winamp, try foobar 2000. Does exactly what it's
    supposed to do, and nothing else, but I think you can add stuff too for all
    the things you miss.

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Oct 23, 2003
  12. I use a program called JBHttp that lets me stream my MP3's over the
    Internet. I want to not become a target of the RIAA so I have the program
    require a password. Some programs refuse to play the files and others (like
    Winamp2) ask for the password then will play the files.

    --

    ---

    Andrew Watiker, Oct 23, 2003
  13. Andrew Watiker

    Night_Seer Guest

    Andrew Watiker wrote:
    > I use a program called JBHttp that lets me stream my MP3's over the
    > Internet. I want to not become a target of the RIAA so I have the
    > program require a password. Some programs refuse to play the files
    > and others (like Winamp2) ask for the password then will play the
    > files.
    >

    > Peace & Love.
    > "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
    >> Andrew Watiker wrote:
    >>> I dunno about Winamp5, Winamp3 sucked so much that I don't have much
    >>> trust in those developers anymore. Is there a good open-source
    >>> alternative to Winamp. It must support authentication. It would be
    >>> even better if it ran on Windows and Linux. XMMS appeared not to
    >>> have authentication.
    >>>

    >>> Peace & Love.
    >>> "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message

    >>> ---

    >> Well winamp 5 seems to be built on winamp 2 technology (not
    >> winamp 3, they realized their mistake), but with more winamp 3
    >> features...but like you I am sceptical too. I'm not really sure
    >> what you mean by authentication, but if you want barebones winamp,
    >> try foobar 2000. Does exactly what it's supposed to do, and nothing
    >> else, but I think you can add stuff too for all the things you miss.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Night_Seer
    >>

    > ---

    Well I suggest at least trying foobar 2000, it will play streams, but I have
    yet to see if it does the password thing.

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Oct 23, 2003