    First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed,
    and third, it is accepted as self-evident"
    (Arthur Schopenhauer)

    demuler, Jul 1, 2010

  2. demuler

    Guest

    On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 14:24:51 +0200, in rec.photo.digital demuler
    <> wrote:

    >I am seeking freeware which will read my exif data. This photo doesn't
    >work on my regular exif reader.
    >
    >http://a.imagehost.org/0210/de_Menezes.jpg

    Irfanview reports that there is no exif info.

    , Jul 1, 2010

  3. demuler

    Martin Brown Guest

    On 01/07/2010 13:24, demuler wrote:
    > I am seeking freeware which will read my exif data. This photo doesn't
    > work on my regular exif reader.
    >
    > http://a.imagehost.org/0210/de_Menezes.jpg

    You can only read EXIF data if there is some present!

    This image is a progressive JPEG compressed with IJG Q=85

    No embedded Exif data is included - so it isn't too surprising that your
    Exif reader cannot do much with it.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, Jul 1, 2010
  4. demuler

    Tim Conway Guest

    "demuler" <> wrote in message
    >I am seeking freeware which will read my exif data. This photo doesn't
    > work on my regular exif reader.
    >
    > http://a.imagehost.org/0210/de_Menezes.jpg

    Some photo editing software will strip the exif data when saving such as
    Photoshop CS's "save for web" feature.

    Tim Conway, Jul 1, 2010
  5. demuler

    Yrrah Guest

    Martin Brown <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk>:

    > You can only read EXIF data if there is some present!

    Have you been nominated for a Nobel Prize yet? ;-)

    Yrrah

    --
    Some of the best of the best in Freeware
    http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/

    Yrrah, Jul 2, 2010
  6. demuler

    Tim Guest

    demuler wrote:
    > I am seeking freeware which will read my exif data. This photo doesn't
    > work on my regular exif reader.
    >
    > http://a.imagehost.org/0210/de_Menezes.jpg
    >

    > -hb-
    > (the REAL hummingbird)

    That photo has no EXIF data.
    You'll notice that as the image loads it starts as a coarse and blurry image
    and becomes more detailed in a couple of stages. This indicates that it is a
    progressive JPEG. The applications that I have that give the option to save
    as a progressive JPEG, don't allow EXIF metadata to be saved in that format,
    only in the standard format.
    Many web images are deliberately saved without EXIF or other metadata,
    partly for privacy reasons, but mainly to keep the file size down for fast
    downloading. Your sample image could easily be more than twice its current
    filesize if it contained a full set of metadata including EXIF and an
    embedded thumbnail.

    Tim, Jul 3, 2010
  7. demuler

    -ART- Guest

    Tim wrote:

    >That photo has no EXIF data.

    Correct. The photo belongs to a friend of mine (Hummingbird), - not
    ACF's "Franklin the forger" who pinched the picture and started this
    thread and signed it as Hummingbird to aggravate people.

    FYI: the FREE version of PhotoFiltre can save jpeg images as
    progressive AND retain the EXIF data (see program preferences):

    <http://photofiltre.free.fr/frames_en.htm>

    >You'll notice that as the image loads it starts as a coarse and blurry
    >image and becomes more detailed in a couple of stages. This indicates
    >that it is a progressive JPEG. The applications that I have that give
    >the option to save as a progressive JPEG, don't allow EXIF metadata to
    >be saved in that format, only in the standard format.
    >Many web images are deliberately saved without EXIF or other metadata,
    >partly for privacy reasons, but mainly to keep the file size down for
    >fast downloading. Your sample image could easily be more than twice its
    >current filesize if it contained a full set of metadata including EXIF
    >and an embedded thumbnail.

    -ART-

    -ART-, Jul 3, 2010