    --
    ----------------------------------
    http://www.aguntherphotography.com
    andre, Jun 19, 2005

  2. andre

    Bit Twister Guest

    On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 20:02:18 GMT, andre wrote:
    > Yesterday I noticed that some spammers had stolen my email address
    > (info(at)aguntherphotography(dot)com) and used as a return address for
    > spam emails. Now i got all these people upset at me.
    > What can I do?

    You stop spam emails by deleting the email account. email_usage_search_tag

    > How can i prevent this from ever happen again?

    1. Don't use it in web pages or a junk contact email address.

    2. Munge it on Usenet where it shows up in the header of your post.

    3. Tell everyone you give it to, to not store it in their address book
    where viruses/malware can steal it.

    4. Tell them to never send you a card/joke/info from a web site.
    Just cut/paste and email it or just send the url to you.

    5. Tell them not to give the email address to anyone and if anyone
    wants it, to send their address to you and you will send them the
    address with the usage rules.

    6. Use different browser for surfing and verify your email address
    is not in the browser config settings.

    7. Use a search engine to verify something like andri_gunthr@ is not
    already used by someone at anytime when picking an email name.

    8. Get throwaway email addresses for any online ebusiness

    9. Use different semi-permanent email addy for each bank you do business with.

    10. Different addy for friends and family. That way you a chance to
    figure out who let the address out.

    11. I got rid of the Microsoft OS so half of the problem of leaks goes
    away and I will not catch malware to compromise someone elses address.

    12. Check if your ISP account/profile to see if there is a check box
    about sharing your info amoung their business partners.

    13. Use a seperate email application where you can turn off java and
    javascript and email client does not call other apps based on what
    might be in an html email.
    Bit Twister, Jun 19, 2005

  3. andre

    Jack Guest

    andre wrote:

    > Yesterday I noticed that some spammers had stolen my email address
    > (info(at)aguntherphotography(dot)com) and used as a return address
    > for spam emails.

    It's a troll. If it knows how to crosspost and to munge, then the
    question is bullshit.

    --
    Jack.
    Jack, Jun 20, 2005
  4. andre

    andre Guest

    Jack wrote:
    > andre wrote:
    >
    >> Yesterday I noticed that some spammers had stolen my email address
    >> (info(at)aguntherphotography(dot)com) and used as a return address
    >> for spam emails.

    > It's a troll. If it knows how to crosspost and to munge, then the
    > question is bullshit.

    No Troll no BS. Crossposting is easy with thunderbird. I am just
    dissapointed that my ISP and webhosting provider (both yahoo) doesn't
    care. They don't seem to be interested. I deleted the email account
    immidiately, but I am afraid the damage to my reputation has been done
    already. It is very frustrating. I had my contacts page blocked from
    search engines and somehow I was not counting on people being such
    A**H**ES. Its just frustrating.

    Andre

    --
    ----------------------------------
    http://www.aguntherphotography.com
    andre, Jun 20, 2005
  5. In <> andre <> writes:

    >No Troll no BS. Crossposting is easy with thunderbird. I am just
    >dissapointed that my ISP and webhosting provider (both yahoo) doesn't
    >care. They don't seem to be interested.

    Unfortunately there's not a thing the ISPs can do. It's just as easy for
    someone to forge a return address on e-mail (in this case, yours...) as it
    is to scribble your ex-girfriend's name on an envelope you drop in a
    mailbox.

    In other words, the fake mail doesn't come from their servers. The most
    they can do for you is, if anyone complains, is send back a note saying
    that you're not guilty of spamming and that some [expletive deleted] typed
    in your username/domain.

    Even though (in many of these cases) forging a return address or faking
    the identity is a crime, none of the law enforcement types will usually
    care about backtracking.

    Rest assured that almost, almost, everyone out there understands about
    this faked return-address issue, so while you may see some atutomated
    bounceback, no one's going to attack you in return.

    (well, there's probably some idiot or another somewhere).

    danny burstein, Jun 20, 2005
  6. andre

    Unruh Guest

    andre <> writes:

    >Yesterday I noticed that some spammers had stolen my email address
    >(info(at)aguntherphotography(dot)com) and used as a return address for
    >spam emails. Now i got all these people upset at me.

    It happens to everyone. The problem is that one of the people you have sent
    email to allowed themselves to hacked. Many viruses send out emails by
    randomly selecting two email addresses from the addressbook of the hacked
    machines-- using one as the To: and teh other as the From:

    >What can I do? How can i prevent this from ever happen again?

    Get better friends/aquaintances who do not allow themselves to be hacked:)

    >The SPAM point to these two addresses:
    >http://psnfjtrsk3e.urchoise.com/
    >http://zndtelbywo.urchoise.com/
    >urchoise.com is registerd to a guy in rotterdam.
    >I hope they rott in hell for soiling my reputation.

    Don't worry, most people know about From: address spoofing. ie, they do not
    believe the From address on spams. Some have not heard about it yet. Tell
    them what happened.

    Unruh, Jun 20, 2005
  7. [proper followup set]

    In alt.spam - article <ebkte.993$>,
    on Sun, 19 Jun 2005 20:02:18 GMT, andre says...
    > Yesterday I noticed that some spammers had stolen my email address
    > (info(at)aguntherphotography(dot)com) and used as a return address for
    > spam emails. Now i got all these people upset at me.
    > What can I do? How can i prevent this from ever happen again?
    > The SPAM point to these two addresses:
    > http://psnfjtrsk3e.urchoise.com/
    > http://zndtelbywo.urchoise.com/
    > urchoise.com is registerd to a guy in rotterdam.
    > I hope they rott in hell for soiling my reputation.

    The first step towards reducing domain forging is to establish an SPF
    record in DNS for your domain.

    http://spf.pobox.com

    It's extremely simple and is only a single TXT line in DNS.

    Any email admin accepting email with a "From:" domain that has a
    restrictive SPF record is contributory in the amount of spam they
    receive, their servers should reject it if it doesn't come from the
    specified IPs.

    When I say restrictive, I mean one ending with "-all". You'll
    understand after reading "Mechanism Syntax" at
    http://spf.pobox.com/mechanisms.html

    Yahoo may give you a hard time, they're promoting a different, more
    complicated mechanism. SPF is the way to go, if Yahoo won't do it,
    move.

    With a restrictive SPF record, you wouldn't get angry responses from
    AOL users.
    http://postmaster.aol.com/spf/

    --
    Listed by SPEWS, the answer is quite simple, read :
    http://spews.org/bounce.html, follow the link to :
    Murray Watson, Jun 20, 2005
  8. andre

    Dazz Guest

    On 20 Jun 2005 06:19:44 GMT, Unruh <> wrote:

    >andre <> writes:
    >
    >>Yesterday I noticed that some spammers had stolen my email address
    >>(info(at)aguntherphotography(dot)com) and used as a return address for
    >>spam emails. Now i got all these people upset at me.

    >It happens to everyone. The problem is that one of the people you have sent
    >email to allowed themselves to hacked. Many viruses send out emails by
    >randomly selecting two email addresses from the addressbook of the hacked
    >machines-- using one as the To: and teh other as the From:

    Somebody could have gotten his email address from almost anywhere -
    usenet,

    Somebody could have gotten his email address from anywhere, ie usenet,
    web page, a business card or where ever.

    Telling someone that "one of the people you have sent email to allowed
    themselves to be hacked" is nonsense.

    While it *is* possible, it's decidedly more unlikely then finding the
    email address on the op's website.

    >>What can I do? How can i prevent this from ever happen again?

    >Get better friends/aquaintances who do not allow themselves to be hacked:)

    <cough> Crap </cough>

    >>The SPAM point to these two addresses:
    >>http://psnfjtrsk3e.urchoise.com/
    >>http://zndtelbywo.urchoise.com/
    >>urchoise.com is registerd to a guy in rotterdam.
    >>I hope they rott in hell for soiling my reputation.

    >Don't worry, most people know about From: address spoofing. ie, they do not
    >believe the From address on spams. Some have not heard about it yet. Tell
    >them what happened.

    Agreed.

    Dazz

    Dazz, Jun 20, 2005
  9. andre

    Dazz Guest

    On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 17:58:17 +1000, Dazz <> wrote:

    <snipped>

    >Somebody could have gotten his email address from almost anywhere -
    >usenet,
    >
    >Somebody could have gotten his email address from anywhere, ie usenet,
    >web page, a business card or where ever.

    There's nothing quite like writing *almost* the same thing twice. :-(

    Dazz
    Dazz, Jun 20, 2005
  10. andre

    local Guest

    On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 20:02:18 +0000, andre wrote:

    > Yesterday I noticed that some spammers had stolen my email address
    > (info(at)aguntherphotography(dot)com) and used as a return address for
    > spam emails. Now i got all these people upset at me.
    > What can I do? How can i prevent this from ever happen again?
    > The SPAM point to these two addresses:
    > http://psnfjtrsk3e.urchoise.com/
    > http://zndtelbywo.urchoise.com/
    > urchoise.com is registerd to a guy in rotterdam.
    > I hope they rott in hell for soiling my reputation.

    First, put a statement on your home page explaining what has been done to
    you. Tell your visitors that someone is forging the return address with
    your email address. You may also want to set up an autoresponder to do
    the same. It would also be a good idea for you to inform your ISP or
    upstream provider about what is happening.

    I also recommend visiting http://www.plaza1.net/SpammerSlapper and telling
    people you know to do the same. The certificate presenteed is just to
    give the applet the ability to visit websites advertised in spam. Just
    set your browser to not accept cookies and then minimize the window.
    Let the spammers catch hell for a change.
    local, Jun 23, 2005
  11. andre

    Jack Guest

    local wrote:
    > On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 20:02:18 +0000, andre wrote:
    >
    > I also recommend visiting http://www.plaza1.net/SpammerSlapper and
    > telling people you know to do the same. The certificate presenteed
    > is just to give the applet the ability to visit websites advertised
    > in spam. Just set your browser to not accept cookies and then
    > minimize the window. Let the spammers catch hell for a change.

    SpammerSlapper appears to be a DoS tool, and using it may violate both
    your ISP agreement and local laws. It is also a kind of tool that many
    regulars in this newsgroup object to, on the grounds that it is
    hypocritical (and arguably unhelpful) to fight abuse with more abuse.

    --
    Jack.
    Jack, Jun 23, 2005
  12. andre

    Jack Guest

    Jack wrote:
    > local wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 20:02:18 +0000, andre wrote:
    >>
    >> I also recommend visiting http://www.plaza1.net/SpammerSlapper and
    >> telling people you know to do the same. The certificate presenteed
    >> is just to give the applet the ability to visit websites advertised
    >> in spam. Just set your browser to not accept cookies and then
    >> minimize the window. Let the spammers catch hell for a change.

    > SpammerSlapper appears to be a DoS tool, and using it may violate both
    > your ISP agreement and local laws. It is also a kind of tool that many
    > regulars in this newsgroup object to, on the grounds that it is
    > hypocritical (and arguably unhelpful) to fight abuse with more abuse.

    Sorry - missed the crosspost on the original article; "this newsgroup"
    refers to alt.spam.

    --
    Jack.
    Jack, Jun 23, 2005
  13. andre

    Compu-Celebi Guest

    "Jack" <> wrote in message
    > SpammerSlapper appears to be a DoS tool, and using it may violate both
    > your ISP agreement and local laws. It is also a kind of tool that many
    > regulars in this newsgroup object to, on the grounds that it is
    > hypocritical (and arguably unhelpful) to fight abuse with more abuse.

    The ends justify the means.
    Compu-Celebi, Jul 6, 2005
  14. "Compu-Celebi" <c o m p u - c e l e b i @ v a l i n t . n e t> wrote:

    > The ends justify the means.

    Explain that to the police when they confiscate your PC.

    Juergen Nieveler
    --
    Why is it called "rush hour" if it's so damn slow?
    Juergen Nieveler, Jul 6, 2005